Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Many Calories Should I Eat In Order To Lose Weight?

I've read about others "not eating enough calories". I would imagine that each person is different based on their size, how fast their metabolism was preop, whether they're exercising or not....etc. So how do I find out if I'm not eating enough calories. I've lot 30 pounds in 5 wks, which is great but not really the steady weight loss I expected. Could it be that I'm not eating enough calories? Also, if I'm not eating enough, where should I get these calories? I am already struggling to get enough Protein but then I'm so full of protein that I am literally working at eating so as to get "enough" calories. I am really starting to get confused. I lost like 16 lbs in the first two weeks postop. Then stalled for the 3rd week or so. Then I dropped a pound a day in the 4th week. Then nothing for days. Then one pound, then nothing, then one pound and now nothing for four days. Maybe there is nothing I can do about it but maybe there is?? I get in about 750 cal/day and about 60g protein/day. I just got cleared to start exercising but I'm concerned about burning calories when I already might not be getting "enough". This is starting to get to be ALOT to think about and sort through. In my past, if things got to confusing, I would eat my self into a numb state of food bliss. Thankfully, I can't do that now but I would like some answers. I can't afford to see a nutritionist. Long story but the jist is that my husband is out of work from the economy, I spent my savings on my surgery and wasted a ton of savings a year ago trying to get approved through my insurance company. (They denied me so I had to pay cash for all those appts). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hey Lisa - I've got similar challenges in that my body is fighting me for every last ounce lost! I've found that if I vary my caloric intake every couple of days (like more Soup based Protein on one day and solid on another day), I can sometimes make my body shake off a little more weight. Also, if I don't exercise at least twice a week, I'm completely stalled. :(

I've not put a calorie number to this game yet but I know exercise gets the scales moving every week that weight loss slows down.

Good luck as you figure out how to balance to get your best results.

Weight loss is rarely even or predictable from day to day. Don't be frustrated. The body will do what it wants to do. Search "Vertical sleeve Eating plans" or something like that on google... there are several posted. My plan asked me to eat around 800 cals a day for the first 6 months. I perhaps got up to 900 in this time. There will be stalls, and drops. Its all normal. If you really are burning a lot of calories doing exercise, you might want to add some carbs before exercise. Your Dr did not send you home with a plan? At 11 months I am eating around 1400 a day. You have to decide for yourself if you need to follow a low carb plan. I eat less than before surgery, but not really low. Think pounds lost per month, instead of per day or week. You wont flip out as much. DO exercise. It will help you to fill in lose skin, burn fat/form muscle and just feel better.You will do fine!

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:2UUbzJX_tl8J:www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf+gastric+sleeve+post+op+diet&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShy7C0f-rcYTzA7DdTVPttln3uZfSrZQn4UtTJ8pk6x_CJnDy_Zq0TcoGDkvK9y6PxscuduZphK74Wo3DH1k-colbZG4mU1Oie5UihTNevkWxOa29wL92FDoDl9KZAaqvykfNLR&sig=AHIEtbQ_UE5YT6cuYqo-kMY1uv1fiKtUew

Thank you fellow "sleevers". Everyday i search the internet hoping for find something that will help me find the magic numbers. LOL! I know they aren't magic...I just like to joke around. I am someone who is crunched for time and I am a total efficiency freak. Therefore I have very little patience for trying different caloric intakes and Protein levels. I may have been having a pipe dream but I was hoping that some fitness guru had come up with some sort of formula to help me get to those numbers faster. LOL! No such luck. bigear.gif

Think of it this way . . . 30 lbs in 5 weeks is 6 lbs/week or almost a pound a day. That's outstanding weight loss! Try to not focus so much on the scale day to day but on a long-term basis. Especially when the dreaded stalls hit . . .

If you consider what your caloric intake was before surgery and what it is now, you honestly can't help but lose weight. 750 calories sounds right on track with where you are, and also keep in mind that based upon your ticker you're a 'lightweight' with less to lose than some. Therefore, the loss might be a little slower.

Some people don't even focus on calories and instead make sure they are hitting their Protein targets first. I track my food so it calculates my calories, and at 4 months out I'm sometimes hitting or exceeding 1000 cals/60-80 grams protein a day . . . and my weight loss has continued.

Hang in there!

Extremely good point Indymom. So obvious that I didn't even see it! I am very happy when I do the math. I have just spent sooooooo much time being attached to the scale that I am having a time letting go of it. I must remind myself that I want to lose a total of 90 lbs and I have already lost one third of that. It has only been six weeks now. This also shows me how fixated I am on instant gratification. That played a part in my obesity. These realizations are interesting and show me how intertwined my food addiction and dysfunctional coping is. This is great!! It's peeling off the layers that have been clouded with food. I feel like I finally get a chance to face these layers instead of skid over them, sort of like they don't exist. Food is/was a drug for me.....its very clear right now.

I think we had surgery about the same time. I haven't lost as much as I thought I would either but it is slow and steady. My days sound just like yours, loss a pound then nothing for 2 days, lose a pound then nothing for 3 days. I eat about 700 calories a day and between 60 and 70 grams of Protein. I was also wondering about eating enough and how much when excercising.

I want to figure that out too. Should,I eat more calories on days I work out? It will be hard cuz I feel like I have to work at getting in 800 calories as it is. plus when you work out you need more fluids which is just gonna take up space in my belly. I guess I'm just gonna have to dive in and try it. I play volleyball on fridays for an hour and saturdays and sundays I'll be swimming and lifting weights. I'll post about it and let you know how its working for me. you let me know what works for you, k?