Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

$250 Class Before Gastric Sleeve Surgery

has anyone had to take a class before the surgery? I think it's a diet/eating class or something like that but the insurance doesn't cover it. And can anyone tell me what test, classes and all exams I have to take and do before getting the surgery? I called my surgeon to ask but all he said was that he will tell me when the it gets closer to that time. ugh!!

Yes, i'm very impatient! lol

Yes, I had to take a 3 hour class before surgery. I was also handed a thick booklet and asked to read it. It was very informative and worth it. Granted, most of those things we have learned here, but not every surgeon follows the same guidelines. In that class you will find out in detail what your surgeon wants you to do during the next year or so.

I didn't have to pay $250 for the class per say, but I paid a $600 fee that included the class and other services. In regards to the tests, it depends on your health and the doctor. He should have given you an idea of what his "typical" tests are though. I found that out from my surgeon early on, because I have read here how some doctors go crazy ordering stuff and I didn't want to do that UNLESS of course they were really necessary. You can probably get that question answered during the class.

Best wishes!!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much for that info!! It does make sense, though. Not that I'm complaining about the money issue, I just wanted to know if I was the only one taking that class.

I hadn't read anywhere on here that anyone was taking it. It's just another hoop I have to jump through, but oh well!

But yeah, i know the class will be very informative either way! :)

I had to take a class before surgery too, and I had to pay for it for the same reasons you mention. Mine was about $175. It basically was to teach you how to read labels and prepare me for the pre-op diet. During the same meeting, we also talked to the physical trainer and the nurse that is in charge of the post-op floor.

The trainer went over exercises you can do while healing like standing push-ups against a wall. The nurse went over pain levels and showed us the drain and answered questions about the hospital stay.

I had another class (one on one) in the hospital and a group one after my surgery that covered post-op diet. My surgery costs also include two post-op (one on one) meetings with the nutritionist. I haven't used those yet. She frequently attends our support group meetings as well.

I had a sleep study test, an ekg, a psych eval with test, an appointment with my regular doctor for referral and some pre-op appointments with my surgeon. I think that was everything.

I also had to come up with the money for the anesthesiologist (around $250) and my share of the entire surgery (about $700) before my surgery could take place. This was to cover my copays and deductibles.

So far all of my visits have been covered by my insurance and I've paid my 20% copay. The first group I looked into had a nearly $1000 fee that was the patient's full responsibility. I think it was supplements or something. I didn't get the greatest vibe from that surgeon so I ended up with someone else anyway.

I payed $200 for the nutrition class and will pay $1500 for a lifetime of support classes and followup. Support groups meet on Monday nights. Neither are covered by insurance.

I paid $325 for my class. They gave us a binder of nutrition info and just basically went over the surgery in more depth-what to expect. And in great detail about the eating. Our fee allows us lifetime access to their dietician and Exercise trainer. Other than that my entire surgery was covered since I had met my yearly deductible.

thank you to everyone for y'all feedback!! y'all cleared up a lot of questions i had! thank you, again! I'm going to take full advantage of this class and all it's benefits cuz I know i'm going to need it! Don't know what I would do without you all! :)

I also paid a one-time fee (I think it was $150 or $175) for my pre-op nutrition class. It was the only thing that wasn't able to be submitted to my insurance.

Most docs call these "program fees". It's just another way to add money to their bottomline. My doc charged $325 and proclaimed all these "benefits". Yeah, whatever. It was a waste for me as an out of state patient. I know a couple of his in-state patients and they also think his "program" is a joke. Just makes it more obvious it was to add to HIS $bottomline$.

Other docs are better and actually care about their post-op progress, mine does not. It was allllllll about the $$$ baby....

I also paid a one-time fee (I think it was $150 or $175) for my pre-op nutrition class. It was the only thing that wasn't able to be submitted to my insurance.

Yeah, that's what my coordinator told me. Besides my dr visits, this is the only thing i have to pay out of pocket. I have basic BCBS so I don't have a deductible. :)

Most docs call these "program fees". It's just another way to add money to their bottomline. My doc charged $325 and proclaimed all these "benefits". Yeah, whatever. It was a waste for me as an out of state patient. I know a couple of his in-state patients and they also think his "program" is a joke. Just makes it more obvious it was to add to HIS $bottomline$.

Other docs are better and actually care about their post-op progress, mine does not. It was allllllll about the $$$ baby....

Well, i hope this class isn't all about the money and the person giving BETTER give a crap about me cuz if not, I promise I WILL raise some hell and demand my money back or attend a different class with a different Nut!!

This is a life altering change that will be forever and I don't want something to happen cuz I wasn't taught the right things to eat and do.

But then again, that's why I y'all for, right? We are all here to help eachother and support one another!!

I love this place!!! :D

Well, let's hope your Doc cares about his patients after the surgery. The best way to find out is to try to find other patients who are several months out from his office. They will be your best source of information. You might even google his name to see if you can find others who have posted about him, and then just send them a PM or something and just ask them for their opinions. You might even get lucky and see posts about that stuff. Another place to check for that stuff is www.obesityhelp.com. Good luck!

p.s. You are right, I really like this place. It's a great source of information and support!

Well, i hope this class isn't all about the money and the person giving BETTER give a crap about me cuz if not, I promise I WILL raise some hell and demand my money back or attend a different class with a different Nut!!

This is a life altering change that will be forever and I don't want something to happen cuz I wasn't taught the right things to eat and do.

But then again, that's why I y'all for, right? We are all here to help eachother and support one another!!

I love this place!!! biggrin.png

former_vbg,

Thanks!! I'm gonna get on that sight right now! And the doctor isn't the problem, its the Nut and psych, but since they both cleared me already, I don't have to see them again. I just hope the it's a different Nut who gives the class. :)

my insurance covered everything besides a 20$ copay for visits and my 6 months of doc visits that i had to have before surgery. I wouldnt mind to pay extra for the weekly support visits and the access to the trainer and dietician, that would be pretty awesome!