Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The band just isn't working for me

I am very discourgaged right now. I had the band implanted on October 27th and I have only lost 31 lbs. since then. That includes me working out 2 hours per day 6 days per week and I have had 2 fills! I live in Charlotte and I really need a support group that can help me through this. I am so disheartened and I don't want to do! Can anyone help me?

Jaime:help:

Lap Band Implanted: 10/27/2005

Last fill: 7/3/2006

Total Weight Lost: 31 pounds

Charlotte, NC

I'm not local but I hope you don't mind me chiming in.

Two fills, putting you at how many ccs in a band that holds how many ccs?

Would you share a typical day's menu?

Have your measurements changed any?

Did you ever measure your body fat percentage, FFM, etc?

Working out that much, chances are you've lost fat but gained muscle, which means your weight could fluctuate very little, and even go higher (muscle weighs more than fat). 2 hours a day 6 days a week is going to add a significant amount of muscle, even if you're just doing cardio.

also not local, but wanting to chime in. What was your starting weight and your current weight? 3 pounds a month is obviously a slow rate, but it could be right for what your weight is. there are a lot of variables that go into it. I think Wheetsin is also very right in that you have done a lot of working out. It could be that you have gained a lot of muscle and lost a lot of fat. What size were you when you started and what size are you now?

Congradulations on the 31 pounds! Some of us move slowly on this, but at least those are 31 pounds you will not have to deal with again!! :confused:

Hey Jaime! I'm in the Cahrlotte area, too. We do have monthly get-togethers, but even if you can't come in person, we have great monthly chat threads here in the NC Forum. Here's the link for the July thread...

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20434

Anyhow, you'll get good feedback right here on this thread, just feel free to jump in on the monthly chats.

Please answer the questions Wheetsin asked and you will get good advice. I'm a slow loser. 40+ pounds in 15+ months. But it's okay, I think I'm doing great!

I'm thinking you either need to eat more, or eat better. How is your restriction? If you are too tight, you are not able to eat a variety of good healthy foods, including (and especially) hard protiens so that could really factor in.

I have had good success lately logging my food on www.sparkpeople.com. It's a great site for getting good feedback on your nutrition. I recommend it!

Can't wait to hear back from you!

First, 31 pounds lost is that many you didn't gain. Second, how many do you want to lose? From what to weight to what goal weight? As others noted, you're doing a LOT, maybe too much, exercise. At least you're building muscle and reducing fat. I'll bet your measurements are shrinking faster than your weight.

But most important do you have a GOOD fill. What are you eating? How many calories? What kinds of food? Let us know more so we can help more. Also, consider joining SmarterBandsters on Yahoogroups. A good place for support, particularly of the "tough love" variety.

dan

I am very discourgaged right now. I had the band implanted on October 27th and I have only lost 31 lbs. since then. That includes me working out 2 hours per day 6 days per week and I have had 2 fills! I live in Charlotte and I really need a support group that can help me through this. I am so disheartened and I don't want to do! Can anyone help me?

Jaime:help:

JZackery,

Wow you sound exactly like me!

I had my lap band in December and have only lost 31 pounds too, the majic number? God I hope not......

I am filled to the brim 5.5 cc's in a 10 cc band but It's a head game with me. I have very very bad eating habits like candy that goes down so smoothly and ice cream my total downfall.

I admit I am a junk food junkie always have been and was hoping this band would be a junkies dream, but It isn't.

I am at fault and I'm P O'd with myself.

It's a matter of working at it and I need to get working.

I too work out 3 days a week and I'm pretty active to boot (for a big girl).

I need to join a group for food junkies, Want to start one?

Hang in there buddy.................Your not alone...................

Boy I understand and empathize. I had surgery in Nov 05 and haven't even lost close to 31lbs. sometimes I feel like i will never get the weight off. I'm with the others that say closely examine your eating and drinking and maybe keep a diary like fitday.com as that always amazes me how quickly calories add up. I would also say ';stay the course' you are losing and if you are like most of us you were probably gaining or yo yo ing prior to surgery. We are always so hard on ourselves and you should be proud of your success to date. i'm sure 31lbs is several sizes difference and people probably notice - i am living for that day lol.

good luck and hang in there - and try some of the other advice people have left you - make sure your fill level is correct, eating properly etc.

Hi Jamie: Please hang in there, I know what you're going through. I was banded May of this year and lost only 18 pounds. Mind you I have a small frame and haven't that much to loose. I'm five feet two inches tall, and when I went in for surgery I weighed 167.5 pounds. Now, only 149.5 pounds it seems to have stopped - nothing now for about a week. I have also gone back to some poor habits myself. I love - and I mean LOVE cherry pie. This is perhaps why we need to have this kind of support for each other so that we can share both are disappointments, as well as our happiness in meeting our goals. So what I've decided to do, is to take it slowly, day by day. Maybe might not be for every one, but I step on the scale each morning and adjust my eating habits accordingly. I'll keep you informed as today I need to STOP opening the fridge. I'll let you know tomorrow. If you wish you can email me on mmschaffer51@hotmail.com

By the way, muscle does weigh more than fat. you must be really toned all in the right places. Hope to hear from you soon, just hang in there. Mary

I was banded in November 2005 and have only lost 35 lbs. But I haven't totally stuck to all the rules, and have been battling an ice cream addiction. I also didn't lose anything until I had proper restriction, which took me 5 fills and 2.7 ccs in a 4 cc band. I still am hopeful, and am trying to follow the rules a lot better. Without the sweets I know I will lose faster. But remember, the band doesn't do anything for you. You have to do all the work. It's just a tool.

Jaime,

I am a slow loser too I was banded 3/18/06, and I have only lost 20 lbs. I think that you need another fill. I'm going for my second fill in August, 4months after banding. According to the long term bandsters, if you are not losing 1-2 lbs/week and you are eating right, and exercising, and drinking your Water, then you need a fill. I just started seriously exercising, and I have started losing weight again. Hang in there, and get a fill asap!

Yvette

Hey Jamie - Girl don't stay away so long. We are here for you. There is a lot of good advice here already so I want say it again. I will say please let me know what I can do for you. :confused: There are a lot of NC banders here to help you and will do all that we can to do that.

Stacy needs to chime in on this one...she has done great. She can truly inspire you!!!!

JLuthien - Welcome!!! I don't remember seeing you around here before. Makes me wonder how many more "lurkers" we have out there. :)

I look forward to hearing from you Jamie!!!!

Things have slowed down for me also. Today was my weight in day and I've only lost .4 pounds since last week. :cry OH MY GOODNESS!! The last week was really hard for me. I'm just able to start Stage 3 for foods. We went to 2 BBQ's while I was still a mushie and it was tough, very tough. Couldn't eat ANYTHING they had there. I was afraid to cheat and end up throwing up there. I haven't told too many people that I've been banded. I know it's a slow process but come on!! .4 pounds and that's not 4 pounds, it's point 4 pounds. At least it's not a gain of any kind, I just have to keep telling myself that.

Hey you guys are ALL beating yourselfs up! STOP! It is not going to help the scale.

Jamie, Julie hi Charlotte girls. Hi and welcome to everyone else.

OK here is my story. I have been averaging about 7 pounds a month since my surgery. That is far from 1-2 pounds a week, but it works. For the past month I was going between 202-200 back to 202 again. Talk about frustration, guilt, anger, sadness...wow you know the feeling...Anyway I got so mad one day that I desided not to go on the scale until my next measurement day at curves. In 3 weeks I lost 5.5 pounds.

Perhaps your all looking to often, it is a visous cycle..I can't spell..

The other thing that I did was I went to a new family physician off of Rea RD if any of you want his name let me know. He explained how our bodies (women that is) lose slow much slower because it thinks we are starving out in the jungle somewhere. He wants me and I have heard almost everyother women patient he has, to eat every hour of the day.

Here are the rules:

Eat 6 bites of sometype of protien or fruit within the first 20 minutes your awake.

Every hour have 6 bites of something healthy

Eat a regular lunch and dinner

Don't worry about the calories, because your only having 6 bites. Sometimes I only do 4 bites it depends how hungry I am.

Today I had a piece of deli turkey then got dressed and before I left had another slice. An hour later I had a protien shake. I was on the road all day today so I had a total of 2 protien bars which I ate over 6 hours.

Other days I'll have 1/2 a yogurt then I go work out come home and have the other half. Take a shower and then I usually have my protien shake. I have to think ahead and prepare a baggie of nuts and protien bars to take with me when I go out on the road.

It was very hard to get used to doing and I messed up a lot in the beging but now that I see the scale moving it sure is getting easier.

Don't forget at least 60 grams of protien a day and 64oz of Water.

You guys are doing good. I totally understand the frustration, we all go through it at times. Hang in there. We Charlotte girls are here for you all.