Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On The Downhill Slide

Yesterday, I completed my 5th of 6 Medically Supervised Diet weigh-ins. Another 6 lbs lost. That's 27 lbs total. My Doctor wanted me to lose at least 20 lbs.

Today I'm going for my chest x-ray and Wednesday I have my appt with the nutritionist. My final weigh-in is Jan 5th and then everything will go to insurance. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for January 27th.

The funny thing is, I am more nervous about my insurance company denying me than I am about the surgery itself.

I've told everyone I'm close to at work that I'm having surgery and everyone is super supportive. I work on the 2nd floor and we don't have elevators so they are even moving my desk downstairs temporarily post-op so I don't have to walk up and down the stairs until I'm comfortable doing it.

The one thing I'm not doing with my co-workers is telling them how much weight I've lost cumulatively, because I started out at 319 and I'm down to 292. I don't want anyone to look at me and say "Well Jeebus, how much did she weigh?" if I say I've lost 160 lbs (eventually).

My 5 year old is very supportive. He put his arms around me and told me that he can give me bigger hugs now. This is only after 27 lbs. Can you imagine after 100 lbs?

I am almost there and still having trouble believe it, but seeing is believing. Congrats on your awesome weight loss! Good luck with your surgery.

I have that same nervousness about my insurance approval!!!

That's the worst part about it. We spend all this time and energy meeting THEIR requirements only to turn around and say that we're denied. Logically there is NO reason I should be denied, but you never know and that's what sucks about it.

In the meantime, I keep plugging away at all the appts. LOL!

I was much more afraid of insurance approval than the surgery too. Like you say, as long as you have everything in order there shoudln't be a problem. Mine was approved in two days and now I'm just waiting till the 14th for my sleeve! Good luck!

i know what you mean! i am not afraid of surgery but i was PETRIFIED of denial. i got approved on wednesday & the news was like hearring someone say u won the lotto. its so surreal. i went to my pre op appt today & im down 7lbs since i started my pre op diet on tuesday. im thankful. surgery is set for dec 20th at 8am.

AWH!!! TOO CUTE... ABOUT THE SON AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR UP COMING SURGERY....

Keep up the positive attitude! It is very hard, I know. I was denied once - 3 years ago. I began "the journey" again this Fall. I was the model patient, counting calories / Proteins / carbs, etc.....losing 17 lbs during the intake process. All appointments were completed in a very timely manner. Papers were sent to Insurance for final approval. My anxiety was higher than ever - as I was afraid of the possible outcome. One week, no response. 2 weeks, no response. 3 weeks, the same.

I felt like I was on a roller coaster at times. Excited, afraid, angry and hopeless. With the Thanksgiving holiday and my growing feeling of hopelessness, I will admit, I quit documenting my daily intake. Luckily, I managed to keep on track with my "Protein first", low sugar, low carb diet. I really need to measure and document again - as it really served as a good tool for me. (While I am eating all the right things, I find it all to easy to keep dipping into the sunflower seed bag, and I'm fairly certain sf fudgsicles don't really fit into a healthy food category.)

Just shy of 5 weeks after the insurance submission I received an automated call from my ins co regarding my "upcoming hospital stay"! Neither my doctor or I had had any contact from them - and then I got this call out of the blue. I had all but given up. I was a bit pessimistic, or scared to Celebrate quite yet, still. I phoned the company for confirmation and to have them fax a copy of the approval letter. It was approved - FOR REAL! My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 5th!

I feel like I am rambling...... What I would like to say is never give the hope. It is a very topsy-turvey ride, but one that can be endured with continued focus. Good luck, and remember that there are lots of people there to support you on your journey.