Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Gastric Sleeve And Diabetes

I thought I would post this topic on the post-op section because I would like to hear personal stories of people who have had diabetes and got the sleeve, and what the outcome was.

I have talked with my nurse and she keeps telling me that I should get RNY instead of the sleeve because of my diabetes (Mind you, they very rarely, if at all, do the sleeve at the hospital Im going to). I cant help but feel that the sleeve would be a better option for me for several reasons. I have no desire to have my intestines messed with and with having 75 to 80lbs to loose, I cant help that both the RNY and the DS would be an overkill for me. i could be totally wrong and would really appreciate any feedback I can get to help with my decision. If everyone tells me that RNY is the way to go to help with my diabetes, then that is what I'll do, but soemthing keeps telling me that isnt right. I just want to make the best decision to get healthy.

I have diabetes and I am scheduled for the sleeve in Jan. My doctor never mentioned to me that the bypass was better than the sleeve for diabetes; BUT my friend who has diabetes that is not control currently was told the bypass would be the best option for her AND we go to the same doctor. I have an appointment with the doctor next week after my pre op testing is done and I am going to ask him why he told my friend that see should think about the bypass because of her diabetes. My diabetes is controlled now with medication but I am worried about down the road and years to come if my diabetes will get worse. I have a strong family history of diabetes. I do not want the bypass but I also do not want diabetes anymore.

That is exactly how I feel. Please let me know what you find out.biggrin.png

I too was in your shoes. I was diagnosed with Diabetes in May of this year, probably had it much earlier. Go to my blog www.kemo46.blogspot.com , I have my before and after blood numbers on there. It is not the actual surgery that can eliminate the Diabetes, it is the results. Once I was diagnosed, I immediately changed my diet and started exercising. I cut out bad carbs and sugar. My surgery was already scheduled for later that month. My Doctor wanted to put me on medication but I wanted to wait until after my surgery and see if I could get it under control. My numbers were through the roof, my A1C test was 10.2 and my fasting Glucose was 237. I had my blood work done 3 months after surgery and my A1C was down to 6.3 and my fasting glucose was down to 100. I did not need any medication so the surgery, wieght loss, diet and exercise helped my diabetes. I just went a couple of weeks ago for my 6 month blood work up and my numbers were even better. My A1C was 5.5 and my fasting glucose was 100. The thing that I do not agree with is even though my numbers are normal and I do not need any medication, I am still considered a Diabetic. They say once a Diabetic, always a Diabetic. They say it is now diet controlled but I will always be a Diabetic. I do not agree with this logic. I lost the weight and changed my lifestyle.

I cannot tell you which is the best surgery for Diabetes, I can just tell you my experience with the sleeve. I can tell you that the Gastric Bypass is very radical and the lifestyle after the bypass is extreme. The Vitamin deficiency and the dumping is very tough. The reason I know is my sister had this surgery about 6 years ago and even though it was considered a successful surgery because she lost the weight, her way of life after is not near as good as mine after my sleeve.

I developed gestational diabetes when pregnant with my twins in 2007 and it didn't go away after delivery. They told me later that all the signs prior to pregnancy pointed to pre-diabetes and insulin resistance.

I was on Metformin twice daily for three years prior to VSG. I had trouble getting my fasting blood sugars below 140 (they were frequently in the 170s regardless of my diet) and my postprandial readings were "good" if they were 190 or less.

Within days of surgery my fasting sugars were 100 or less and my postprandial readings were in the 140s. I never took another pill after the day of surgery, though I did require insulin a few times post op. I'm now nearly a year and a half out from surgery and don't even bother to take blood sugar readings. For all intents and purposes, I'm no longer diabetic. With no extra medications I am able to keep my blood sugars steady all day long in the healthy range. I no longer have spikes and drops when I eat certain foods, though I do tend to avoid overly sweet things simply because I don't care for them anymore. In any case, my diabetes improved even before my weight started to fall off - the change was almost immediate.

I was told that my odds of having diabetes return with old age are higher than average, but that otherwise I can live my life normally.

I'm confident that you can have the same/similar results. If you search the forums here you'll find a number of other posts and every diabetic I've seen post has at least improved post op. A few folks that were on insulin have only been able to step down to pills, but none of them were at goal weight yet, either. Who knows how much more they might continue to improve as they drop the weight?

~Cheri

Wow, I am so glad to hear how well your numbers went down following surgery, clk and Kemo46! That really encourages me! I am on 1000mg of Metformin daily and look forward to the day I will not take it anymore. My surgeon told me that I will stop the Metformin right before surgery and will not be put back on it after surgery; because the success rate is so high for controlling the diabetes. I am glad both of you posted, makes my day :)

Before I had my surgery, I was a type 2 diabetic. I had lost 35 lbs and was really watching what I ate, cutting portions, and doing a sugarfree/low carb type diet. I had improvement in my numbers from my new lifestyle and eating, but still kinda high and still Diabetic. I got off my meds to have my surgery, and never had to go back on my Metformin post-op. I was VERY happy about this!

I believe these two articles discuss how VSG resolves Type 2 Diabetes as well as RNY and not just because of the weight loss factor. There are probably other articles, I just happened to bookmark these.

Good luck!!

:)

http://agajournals.wordpress.com/2011/09/08/bariatric-surgery-more-than-expected/

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/dia.2011.0151