Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preparing For Gastric Sleeve

Since I have 3 weeks to kill, I'm planning on getting prepared during this time. Problem is, I'm not sure what to do and where to begin. I know I want to do some house cleaning and get some smaller clothes ready, I want to work on me a little and get my hair done. I've been stocking up on Protein supplies so going to get those all set up in the cabinet and ready to use. What are some things I need to be preparing for? Am I overthinking? I have a one track mind right now...surgery.lol

I am going home from the hospital today. I for one am glad for my pre-op over thinking as it will make being home that much easier. Make sure you fill any prescriptions you will need at home prior to having surgery. A word of advice that is not meant to scare you at all, be prepared for some pain. After reading stories and listening to people at support groups I wasn't prepared for it at all. Good luck to you!

Yay!!..going home!!

You're not scaring me :) After having several surgeries, I have anticipated the pain. I know everyone is different in terms of pain and their threshold for handling it,,are you able to move around ok? Is the pain from the incisions or does the pain come from the removal of the stomach or both?

That's a great idea about the meds,,I would've probably forgotten that very important step as I do all the time as it is.lol

I have a bunch of things on my "to do" list too. I keep thinking I need to start grouping my smaller clothes by their sizes so they are together as I can fit back into them. I've been to the lawyer to update a few things (I'm a single parent) and I'd thought to buy some baby food fruit & veggies for some of the soft food recovery period. I have a leg wax appointment scheduled. I'm taking at least two weeks away from work although I might work from home the second week. I'm so excited! I just hope I'm approved quickly.

I was planning on cooking big batches of Soups and portioning them in little .5 cup microwavable containers.

All I am thinking about is surgery too. I am going to deep clean my house and do everything I can for the next month. I feel like I am nesting or something! lol

Don't overbuy. You will go through clothes a lot so only buy as you go down in size unless you want to buy things that may be to big by the time you wear them. I was sleeved Aug 4 bought a BOGO suits at Men's Wearhouse - one tailored, one not. The tailored one had to be retailored 3 weeks later, I waited for 2.5 months, still waiting to get other suit tailored once I lose last 15 pounds.

Don't overbuy food or premake a lot of Soups. At three weeks I was ahead of curve and on solid foods, good bye pureed. Just get enough for a week. I was in Thursday, out Sunday, Driving Monday.

Relax, work on reducing liver fat for easier surgery. Get used to drinking Water slowly, you will get back to normal gulps at a time but it will take a month or so.

Take your daily Vitamins if not already on them.

Get your exercise in, makes it easier at three week mark to start up again. aerobics and resistance training. build muscle fills in gaps around arms.

Try not to binge over holidays, some people put on weight before surgery when you should be losing. Though having a last night of food and drink will not hurt you.

If you smoke, stop

If you drink more than social stop or lower amount, you won't/shouldn't drink for at least 4 to 6 weeks post op.

Good luck on your surgery.