Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My friend had a gastric bypass and lost a lot of hair. Have any of you with the VSG experienced this?

i have just began to lose hair.....

I lost a lot of hair! and it started pretty much right away. However, I am just six months out and I noticed it has stopped falling out. That is, I have just a bit of hair in the shower when I shampo my hair, like pre-surgery, which is normal. Hair no longer falls out in my brush or just around me like it used to. I also have about 1/4 inch of regrowth all over my head. So all in all, it was not bad at all and totally worth it! :-) I use hair extentions on combs that look really natural to help my hair look fuller. I don't necesarilly use them daily though. They're super easy to put in. I just add a couple if I want some length or fullness.

I have heard of a lot of people having problems with Hair loss, sad to say. I guess I was fortunate in I never experienced any.

I am nearly 4 months out and had just a little more Hair loss than usual but I can't complain nobody can notice and my hair dresser said my hair feels just as thick.

From what I know and have read this can be largly beacause you are not getting enough protien. You wouldnt believe the difference it can make, and I say this personally.. Ihave not had this surgery as of yet, but I have battled with protien issues and I am finally regulated and grew back all the hair I lost. Protien is sooo important is my point..

obviously age and genetics can also have play.. I actually went to a hair expert and she said that i had alopecia and had to get used to it and to look for a wig or start on a rogaine. I did an expirement with protien and kept it up as I saw my hair growing in. I had always had a pretty obvious widows peak that had been missing for about 3 years and its almost completely back.

The average adult should be getting anywhere from 60-80 grams a protien a day. Maybe with not being hungary you are not getting enough protien.. Just a thought..but if that is the issue you have to stick with it or it wont happen..

I started shedding at 4 months post op and it is beginning to stop around 8 months. I put a screen over the tub drain to catch the hair because I didn't want a clog. I have a lot of hair and it is not noticeable at all.

I lost a lot of hair, probaby half of my volume. I cut it short, after having it long for years. It's starting to grow back in now, and I'm 11 months out. I'm going to cut it a few more times, because its so uneven with all the regrowth

Nearly everyone loses hair from these surgeries. It's a matter of having major surgery, anesthesia, rapid weight loss, and drastic change in diet and lack of calories.

Mine started at 2 months post op and it is still falling out at 9 months out. It's stinking annoying! But it's worth it to be thin. I had REALLY thick hair and now my hair is thinner than I have ever seen it, I have easily lost at least half the volume.

I lost half my hair too. I know it was not from lack of Protein because I have always loved my Protein drinks and have from day one. I used unflavored Protein powder immediately post op, when I was on Clear liquids. I have taken hair and nail Vitamins and Biotin since before surgery.

Most people do lose hair.

I'm not looking forward to more Hair loss. Being diabetic, I've already lost a lot of hair. I'll probably end up bald!

I don't have much hair to start with. *sigh* My surgery date is 12/14. I guess I'll end up looking like an egg. A thin egg, but an egg nonetheless.

So, I have posted a few times how I have avoided hair loss. Well, now at 5 months post-op, it would seem I am not immune. Let me tell you, I am pretty diligent about my Protein, too, usually exceeding 80 grams as I have been working out and running almost daily. I found this to be interesting:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=causes

I think it is probably a roll of the die whether or not you will be affected (albiet a 50 sided die and only one side says, "No hair loss"). I thought I would be good to go as I have (had) a very thick head of hair, but now when I put gel in my hair, I see that about 25 hairs are stuck to my hand. This happened recently and rapidly. I think you can see in my profile picture that I am not a thick haired dude anymore. I'm not worried about it. It will grow back.

YEEEEEESSSSSS! LOL! But it's pretty much back now :) so worth it!