Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

94 Lbs In 5 Months=not Good Enough Says Nurse..talk Me Off Ledge!

I would really appreciate some honest feedback from all of you. I went to my 5 month follow up appointment today at my surgeon's office. I don't see him at these appointments but rather a nurse or a PA. She went over my labs, bp, bmi etc. All good but then she says "94 lbs in 5 months...hmmm...that's not good..what is going on here?" She then proceeded to tell me that I should have lost at least another 20 or so pounds by now but if I can start losing at LEAST 5 pounds per week from now on then "maybe" I can "get back on track". She then asked if I wanted to get squeezed into see the nutritionist while I was there to try and figure out what's going wrong. Ok needless to say this was majorly depressing for me. Also, this is exactly the kind of thing that can trigger a person such as myself to binge. Luckily my sleeve won't allow that and I have been working on my mind enough to not go down that self destructive route or even try to. But seriously for me this was like cutting it close to a mental breakdown b/c I've been working my **%!%! off but apparently it's not up to par.

Now I'd like some honest feedback b/c if I am in fact not on track then I want to know. I started at the high end (417 pounds) and we all know the bigger you are the faster you tend to lose. Today I am 322. I'm close to my 100 pound goal which I was happy about except now I feel like a big LOSER.

Also, she told me "Well it is critical that you get as much as you can off in that first year b/c once you hit 6 months the inflammation from your surgery has gone down and then you will start getting hungry again. But oh my..you're entering your 6th month now so yep...see that's why it was critical that you take advantage of the first 6 months but oh well"

Ok SCARY. So now suddenly I'm goign to start getting hungry again?? I haven't heard this before. And she said I can stretch out my stomach. And started filling my head with all kinds of horrible anxiety filling fears. Talk about a horrible day. I think most of us who have a long history of overeating know that perfectionism is an issue. If I can't do this right, then why do it at all?? If it's not working then why am I denying myself? I should just go find the nearest buffet bar and dive in. Thankfully my tool is not letting me do this but this mentality and line of thinking...not good enough...not on track....and what in the hell is wrong with you that you haven't lost more by now?? Oh my gosh! Someone talk me down! lol

First of all you have done amazing so please be proud of your accomplishments so far!

Second WTF - GRRRRRR - what an "nice' nurse. Let me just tell you I am a considered a "light weight" BMI was under 40 at surgery. I am still losing at 11 months out (in fact today is 11 months exactly. I made my goal in less than 10 months but this past month I lost 6 pounds which is more than I lost from June-August combined.

What I am trying to say is the weight loss can continue even after 6 months - so do not stress. I know they say that you lose the most in the first year - so stay focused on Protein and Water and keeping carbs low. Each of us loses at a different pace. THere are many people on these boards who can offer you better support than I can - but I want to reassure you that you are doing GREAT!

Do not self destruct because of the words of this one person. Continue your journey at your own comfortable pace. Protein, Water and exercize are the 3 thinks that got me to where I am. I work out with a trainer 2 times per week now and work out with my hubby at least 3 x per week at the gym. His workouts are just as hard as my trainers! :)

Most important is that you are losing and are down almost 100 pounds! Amazing - I am sure you will hit the century mark by the new year! Enjoy your journey and the new you! Keep focused! I wish you much success!

Kim

94 lbs in 5 months!!! That's AWESOME!!! Keep up the good work. Oviously that nurse is living on another planet. I think you're doing a fantastic job..

I am by no means any kind of expert but I got to tell you that's the most ridiculous thing have heard. When else in your life have you lost 95 lbs IN 5 months??? I think you are doing awesome. I am at 10 months out from my surgery date and still have another 40 some lbs to lose. I hope I will reach that goal. Admittedly, after 100 lbs my loss has slowed but it has not stopped by any means. I could probably help myself by not allowing as many carbs back into my life as I have but that was also one of the reasons that I had this surgery...because I thought it wasn't normal to think that I wouldn't eat a piece of pecan pie at Thanksgiving or any of the other food related things with those celebratory moments in life. I am not trying to go against any medical advice by any means. I just wanted to tell you that I think you are doing awesome!!!

Okay, I have to agree 100% with Kimmes....do not let the words of this one person set you on a downward spiral.

Everyone here loses at a different pace. Yes, some higher BMI's can lose really fast, but that doesn't mean that two people with the exact same BMI are going to lose at the exact same rate.

You are doing a FANTASTIC JOB!!!! Do not ever lose sight of the work you have done. You are 5 months on your way to a healthier, SMALLER, more energetic you.

I can tell you that I stalled in months 8, 9, 11, 12, and halfway through 13 (I'll be 14 months later this month) and I just recently broke the latest 2.5 month stall. So yeah, even at almost 14 months out I am still losing. Look this is your tool forever. You will never get your larger tummy back. Yes, there is a honeymoon period where your body is in a rapid weight loss mode, but once that passes (and it is different for everyone) it doesn't mean that you are DONE. It just means that you need to continue to work your tool to the best of your ability.

Follow the rules:

Low calorie

Low-carb (for most, not all)

High Protein

Tons of H20

Exercise (move your body in some way shape or form)

Take your Vitamins

Just keep on doing the fabulous job you are doing...and next time when you schedule make SURE You tell them you don't want that nurse again. THERE HAS TO BE SOMEONE ELSE YOU CAN SEE!!! Hang in there!

I totally agree with everyone, you are doing amazing! Sometimes people just don't think before they spout nonsense. Also, take into account the clothes sizes you are dropping, not just the number on the scale. You are doing great, don't let anyone bring you down!

This is one of those times when you just nod, let the other person spew their mindless, meaningless mess and you tell yourself, I'M DOING A DARN GOOD JOB!!

You don't have to respond to that now or EVER... Look at where you started and the amount of amazing work you've done!!! That's her opinion, a bad one.. but hers... She should not have spoken to you that way, no matter how much weight you lost!!! Just unprofessional!!!

Keep up the amazing work!!! Be sure to give a written complaint about Nurse "I Don't Know Jack"!!!

Hi, at first I wasn't going to reply to this thread because the "nurse" really p'oed me more then she did you! It's people like her that make a bad name for nurses like me. . .errrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . . anyhow, 94 lbs is excellant in 5 months. This isn't a flippin race to see who gets to where first. . .god I hate that! Now my second po was when I heard that YOU would actually let a stupid bi. . .ch A$$ person like that so called nurse make YOU go back to bingeing! Why would you hurt yourself like that? It's not going to hurt her or anyone else, just you. . . don't do that to yourself. . . yes you have the sleeve to stop all that major hurt, but girl why would you do that? And don't say it's because that is how you cope. . because we all have the same problem. now is the time to stand up, pull up those big girl panties and fight. Fight against that addiction and come out a winner. . . you have done so damn well these past 5 months, and to stop the fight now would be ludicrus. . don't do that to yourself. . . sorry if i sound harsh, that is just how i am with my san antonio, texas self. . . .have you seen the new lighting downtown at the riverwalk? Absolutely beautiful. . instead of eating or thinking of self destruction, go down there and check out the lights. . . good luck!

What was she thinking?! I'm no expert but even IF what she said was true...was she trying to scare or upset you?! In your post I didn't hear a single bit of constructive advice...isn't that what they're there for? Don't let her take away your huge accomplishment! You've done an awesome job and I agree with the other posters, if you continue following the rules you can continue to lose! Congrats on an amazing loss!!

94 pounds! You lost an entire 10 year old child! seriously! that nurse doesnt know jack. everyone is different. there is no square box that we all can fit into. the basic rule here is if we burn more calories then we eat we are going to continue to lose, it may take more time, but we will get there. you have done terrific! keep it up!

I can't believe she would say that. You are doing awesome! What is it today with these so called "medical professionals"?

I agree she sounds like a total IDIOT!!! I work in the medical field and I can say that she definitely has no bedside manner or empathy about her!!! YOU ARE DOING GREAAAT!

this nurse is absolutely crazy - we all agree w/that giving you that awful tone discouragement how nasty is that?!!! 94 lbs in 5 months - holy moly thats so terrific. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

a nurse is supposed to be professional, giving you that stupid comment about not doing well enough, i just can't believe that. Don't listen to that nut. You're doing great. Keep up the great work, and please don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and don't listen if they do.

Please don't sabatoge (sorry msp) yourself though, keep doing what you're doing!!!

can i quickly ask a question. I understand now the "honeymoon" period for the sleeve is 6 months, maybe more, but if you continue eating and stuff correctly, won't things continue well, i mean - you know your body, and will stop eating with the portion you always eat? I would think you would continue to lose weight?

I've got 92 lbs. to lose with a BMI of 40. I know it probably will take me around 8-9 months to lose. i'm pre-op DOS 12/16/11

thanx kathy

I would have told her that I have some mistletoe in my back pocket and she could find something to kiss under it. You're averaging over 18lbs a month, which is fantastic. Its true that your weight loss will slow down and stop at some point, but you are far from that time. For me, it was closer to 9 months out when I noticed an increase in eating, but I'm still losing (albeit slowly now). Don't let one ignorant person's comment take away from what you have acomplished. You're doing great and no doctor or nurse can ever take away yur acheivement thusfar.

You're doing a great job stay focused and 94lbs in 5 months is not short of incredible... :)