Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lactose Intolerance After Vsg? Anyone Experience This?

As a kids, I was a HUGE milk drinker. As an adult, I still liked milk but soda became more of my preferred drink. Anyways, I've had some milk a few times since surgery and didn't have any issues until fairly recently. I have noticed that my desire for different foods were changing which I expected from reading other people's experiences. I know lactose intolerance was also a possibility, but figured if it would happen it would have happened before now.

Anyways, I've noticed over the past few months that my sweet tooth cravings were GREATLY diminished- great! Then, I started noticing that sometimes I would feel a little sick after eating a single size chocoate bar or something (as a treat). I was thinking maybe because my body hadn't had sweets in so long that my stomach was having trouble processing such rich food.

Ok, so my weight loss has stalled for almost 2 months now and I went to go see a nutrionist last week who has a lot of experience working with people who have had WLS. She thinks I'm not getting in enough calories even though I'm eating 3x a day. She suggested I add 1 or 2 servings of milk per day to help with calories along with a fruit each day. So, I bought one of those small milks at Quick Trip (says 2 servings). I only drank maybe a 1/4 of the bottle and my stomach started hurting within maybe 10 minutes. I can't remember if I had to hit the bathroom right away or not.

Tonight, I was going to buy another milk, but decided to try a small ice cream just to see what would happen since its also a milk product. I had maybe a 1/2 cup tonight and within 10 minutes, stomach cramping and I've made 2 trips to the bathroom back to back. I was also visiting my gma over the weekend and she served up some sugar free pudding and while the reaction wasn't quite as severe, I had small stomach cramping shortly after eating that too.

So, my only logical reasoning here is that I'm now lactose intolerant. I can't say I'm really all that upset because chocolate and me had been life long friends up until now. If I eat chocolate now, I don't feel so good. This also happens when I eat junk food which I know has likely little to do with being lactose intolerant.

I just find it odd that I'm only now seeing such drastic reactions to milk products 5 months out. cheese still seems to be ok, but that's usually added to something like eggs or something else being cooked.

Anyone else have any experiences becoming lactose intolerant since surgery?

Welcome to my world - I am lactose intolerant, also. I CAN handle low fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurts, and cheese. I CAN'T drink milk or eat ice cream. This was my situation pre-sleeve and it is the same now.

About four months out I started experiencing lactose intolerance. Foods I was able to eat previously made me incredibly sick, for almost a year, all dairy was pretty much off limits for me. Now, I am doing better. I can do dairy, but only in small amounts. A piece of cheese on my sandwich is okay, but a bowl of ice cream is going into dangerous territory for me. It seems like what I am able to tolerate and not tolerate is an ever changing thing for me.

Yep! I'm lactose intolerant and have been since about 5 days post op. My son made me a Protein shake and I drank a few sips, then it waas off to the races!!!

I can do small amounts of cheese, but no milk, cottage cheese or any other soft dairy items.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I never really gave much thought about what things had dairy in them until now. I am not too upset though because causing me to get sick when eating chocolate is a good thing. Kind of like touching a hot stove. It's not something easily forgotten. It certainly will make maintaining my WL easier.

Bad new and good news.

Yes, I was lactose intolerant too for several months, about 3 or 4 from what I remember. Slowly reintroduce milk or milk products in a couple of months. Good news might be around the corner. Bad news is that is probably not tomorrow. Good news is at least you can try again. Are sleeves and tolerances are everchanging.

I hear you.

Pre-surgery I had issues consuming milk but other dairy products were Ok. Since the surgery I have issues with milk( still), yoghurt and ice cream. cheese however is OK.

I also have issues with chocolate, even one bite and I feel ill.

Ice cream having both dairy and sugar have me bent over in pain.....it has happened twice now, not again. This was having less than a teaspoon.

Maybe it will get better, maybe it wont but somehow I am Ok with it not getting OK.

I have never had any hint of issues with any sort of dairy products before. I'm also ok with having issues now though. I never thought I would ever see the day where the thought of eating chocolate would make me not feel well. Pigs must be flying cuz that day has come.

This has just been a new experience for me, kind of odd feeling to get so sick over eating stuff that was once considered my best friend when I needed some food for emotional comfort. ;-)

I developed lactose intolerance immediately following surgery. I could tolerate yogurt and firm cheeses right away. Now I can eat 1/4 cup ice cream or milkshake without getting sick. I haven't tried more than that or the other foods that bothered me, including cottage cheese.

I have heard that many people are able to eat dairy again after about 6 months. When I get brave, I'm going to try a Nonfat Latte instead of the Soy Latte I have every morning. But not yet.

Lynda