Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've now had 3 episodes with dumping. Yes, I know those with the sleeve don't dump but I do. Here's the thing: 1) I was not a sweets eater before surgery 2) I've always suffered with very low blood sugar. I think those two issues contribute to the fact that I suffer from serious dumping. My body was not used to having to process sugar before and now the least bit seems to drive me into a dump.

I've been sleeved for months now. Last night I was at a holiday gathering that had an open bar type thing. I'm a non drinker for the most part anyway and had driven so I ordered a fancy coffee drink. I was very specific. Give me anything Decaf and sugar free. Otherwise you make the choice. The woman went down a list and w/ each suggestion I'd say "is it sugar free"? A couple of times she looked at the bottle and corrrected herself. I ended up with some sort of cinnimon drink. I should have asked to see the bottle but she was making a real effort to help me so I didn't.

And this is graphic, so just stop reading if you can't take this sort of stuff.

The good news is that it does not hit instantly. But about 1/3 of the way into the coffee I started to feel the sweats start and I knew. I went to the rest room first which was right by the exit and waited to see how bad it was going to be. Within about 5 minutes I knew it was going to be bad so I dashed to my car and moved to a far part of the parking lot where I spent the next 20 minutes heaving. This is a whole new world for me. But here's the thing: I'm on a PPI so it's not the normal acid type ick. It was really just all the drink coming back up. Sadly, my "snack" 30 minute earlier when I arrived was a handful of nuts. Let's just say they do not digest fast. I was dreading the possibiity of this happening so I choose sleeve instead of bypass. Turned out it made no difference for me. But the worst part of this isn't the being sick -- which is what I detest with a passion -- but the sweats, shakes and anxiety. The whole thing lasted about 90 minutes before it was completely over. I was able to drive home at about the 30 mark after leaving the building.

Just wanted to share this experience for those newly sleeved. Please be careful, especially with liquid sweets. 2 of the three times that's what nailed me. And it doesn't take much. This was a small coffee drink and I got 1/3 down before it all hit the fan.

It won't kill you. But let me tell you, it puts you on high alert. I will always ask to see the bottle of the "flavoring" in the future. I'm 99% certain it was not sugar free as I can drink things with artifical sweetner w/ no problem.

Heck of an intro to the Christmas season.

Sounds nasty. I can eat sugar, but do have a limit where I start feeling pretty yuck. I stick to sugar free or very small portions now and usually feel fantastic.

I know you say you've been sleeved for months, but I'm wondering if perhaps at 6 months or maybe even a year out if things might change. It's good that you are figuring out what "triggers" the episode, so that you can hopefully avoid anything like it in the future.

I choose the sleeve over the band because I absolutely *HATE* having anything come back up. There has only been really ONE time with my sleeve when I was about 9 weeks out that I *thought* my meal was going to come back up and thankfully it didn't. I don't know if that is rare or not, but I can honestly say with 100% accuracy that I have NEVER ONCE VOMITED with my sleeve. I *love* my sleeve!!!

I know you say you've been sleeved for months, but I'm wondering if perhaps at 6 months or maybe even a year out if things might change. It's good that you are figuring out what "triggers" the episode, so that you can hopefully avoid anything like it in the future.

I choose the sleeve over the band because I absolutely *HATE* having anything come back up. There has only been really ONE time with my sleeve when I was about 9 weeks out that I *thought* my meal was going to come back up and thankfully it didn't. I don't know if that is rare or not, but I can honestly say with 100% accuracy that I have NEVER ONCE VOMITED with my sleeve. I *love* my sleeve!!!

To me, it is a very different experience with the sleeve. But I was sleeved in April and I'm pretty sure I'm "matured" and have what I will always have. There's a woman in my support group has the same issue so I just want folks to know up front it's not quite as unlikely as advertised.

And, I am trying to talk a good friend out of a band right now. She's set for early February surgery. My instinct is that she's thinking "temporary" in case she needs an out. She's one of the few people I've been really open with. I LOVE salad and once I was healed and at the point where I could eat salad, I was 100% convinced I'd made the right choice for me.

This dumping issue can be managed. But I want the newly sleeved to ease into trying any sugar (if they ever are tempted) in a situation where they are in control because dumping is rough.

Oh I am glad you shared even with it bordering on TMI..(you weren't too graphic, thankfully!) and I have heard of others who swear they dump with the sleeve. I'm glad you are learning to manage it, as I'm sure you don't want to repeat what has happened.

I was just wondering if the caffine in the coffee drink might have contributed to the "dump"? I know I was having issues right after surgery and a cup of coffee every morning works like a charm and I do not have to take anything for the Constipation issue.

Maybe it was the sugar + caffiene?

I have not had any issues with sweets & occasionally I splurge. We were in New Orleans for Christmas party and we shared a cannoli and I ENJOYED EVERY STINKING MINUTE OF IT...LOLOL....but the difference is now I could only eat 1/2 and before surgery I could eat 3..........

Maybe try coffee at home and see what happens?

Could it have been the sugar alcohol? We're not suppposed to absorb it so it it doesn't officially count in the carb count. Hence the "sugar free", but I know it's always affected my gut even without the sleeve so I avoid the stuff.

I was just wondering if the caffine in the coffee drink might have contributed to the "dump"? I know I was having issues right after surgery and a cup of coffee every morning works like a charm and I do not have to take anything for the Constipation issue.

Maybe it was the sugar + caffiene?

I have not had any issues with sweets & occasionally I splurge. We were in New Orleans for Christmas party and we shared a cannoli and I ENJOYED EVERY STINKING MINUTE OF IT...LOLOL....but the difference is now I could only eat 1/2 and before surgery I could eat 3..........

Maybe try coffee at home and see what happens?

I was specific for Decaf as it was evening. But I was also specific about no sugar. I actually have had a bit of caffeine since surgery and seem to have no issues with it. I do think if I had much it would fire up my acid reflux but I'm not much on caffeine. Even in my 50's I'm hyper enough without it.

No sugar alcohols have bothered me otherwise and I was bad about relying on the Protein bars that have them for a while. ( I don't think it's the best way to get Protein so weened off of them.) And thankfullly, nothing yet give me gas. I really am grateful for that as I have a co-worker who had gastric bypass and she can just about close us down at times!

I've now had 3 episodes with dumping. Yes, I know those with the sleeve don't dump but I do. Here's the thing: 1) I was not a sweets eater before surgery 2) I've always suffered with very low blood sugar. I think those two issues contribute to the fact that I suffer from serious dumping. My body was not used to having to process sugar before and now the least bit seems to drive me into a dump.

I've been sleeved for months now. Last night I was at a holiday gathering that had an open bar type thing. I'm a non drinker for the most part anyway and had driven so I ordered a fancy coffee drink. I was very specific. Give me anything Decaf and sugar free. Otherwise you make the choice. The woman went down a list and w/ each suggestion I'd say "is it sugar free"? A couple of times she looked at the bottle and corrrected herself. I ended up with some sort of cinnimon drink. I should have asked to see the bottle but she was making a real effort to help me so I didn't.

And this is graphic, so just stop reading if you can't take this sort of stuff.

The good news is that it does not hit instantly. But about 1/3 of the way into the coffee I started to feel the sweats start and I knew. I went to the rest room first which was right by the exit and waited to see how bad it was going to be. Within about 5 minutes I knew it was going to be bad so I dashed to my car and moved to a far part of the parking lot where I spent the next 20 minutes heaving. This is a whole new world for me. But here's the thing: I'm on a PPI so it's not the normal acid type ick. It was really just all the drink coming back up. Sadly, my "snack" 30 minute earlier when I arrived was a handful of nuts. Let's just say they do not digest fast. I was dreading the possibiity of this happening so I choose sleeve instead of bypass. Turned out it made no difference for me. But the worst part of this isn't the being sick -- which is what I detest with a passion -- but the sweats, shakes and anxiety. The whole thing lasted about 90 minutes before it was completely over. I was able to drive home at about the 30 mark after leaving the building.

Just wanted to share this experience for those newly sleeved. Please be careful, especially with liquid sweets. 2 of the three times that's what nailed me. And it doesn't take much. This was a small coffee drink and I got 1/3 down before it all hit the fan.

It won't kill you. But let me tell you, it puts you on high alert. I will always ask to see the bottle of the "flavoring" in the future. I'm 99% certain it was not sugar free as I can drink things with artifical sweetner w/ no problem.

Heck of an intro to the Christmas season.

You're not alone!!! I do too. :) I'm 15 months out and it still happens.

Certain foods do it to me too, and it is miserable, the sweats, the nausea, ugh, I hate it. Milk products and Mayonnaise based sauces are the worst for me.

I have experienced this too. I am not a big sweets person either but when I want something, I want it. So I decided to have a few bites of a reese Peanut Butter cup... I was taking my time and about half way through, I started feeling really bad, sweating, nauseated, shaking, and just all around yuck! Lesson Learned!