Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Surgery Regrets?

I've been reading through all the posts, and the general sense I get is that everyone is happy with their decision. It seems the worst con people mention is being cold.

I am still very anxious about the decision I made to have the sleeve. I think and rethink it all the time. Since my BMI is "only" 30, shouldn't I be able to just diet and exercise to lose the 60 extra pounds? The thing is, I've tried. I've tried for a decade now and every time I get the weight off it comes right back on. I feel I need a new tool, a new way of looking at things, and I think the sleeve can provide that.

But what if I have regrets? There was one thread on this forum, and a poster compared getting the sleeve at first to having "buyer's remorse" over a big purchase. Do you ever feel like that?

What about other regrets? Do you have side effects, like reflux? What about your social life and your ways of coping with stress? What about the healing time involved?

I was worried about buyers remorse too. In fact, even after I had the sleeve done I kept thinking that I hoped I hadn't made a mistake. Now I'm almost 2months out and I couldn't be happier!! I have so much more energy, I feel better and I know that I've added YEARS to my life! It's funny you said something about being cold all of the time...I'm sitting here with a cold tipped nose and cold fingers as we speak...I guess that's what happens when we shed our fat suit lol. My social life is pretty much filled with running the mom taxi but I don't find that I tire the way I did before. I'm not sure if it's the sleeve and the healthier way of eating or the excercise but I do find that my stress level is down. Healing time was minimal. I think as long as you don't push it and listen to the drs instructions about lifting, walking, and resting when needed..you will be just fine. I honestly think this is wonderful tool and I cant say enough about it! Crossing my fingers that you find the same successes in your journey!! :-)

My title is "no regrets" and I honestly mean it and 14+ months out from VSG surgery.

Yes, I get cold easily and wear a lot of long sleeves now. I had not totally dealt with my friend, "food overload" before surgery and actually cried in front of a Home Buffet becasue I could not stay for long periods and gorge...once. I missed my old friend food as the salve to ________ (insert any emotion.) I was lactose intolerant for first three months. I gave up In N Out Burger completly and have not been there since August 2010. I gave up all soda and still have not touched the stuff. I wish I had found this site earlier as I joined after comitting to VSG surgery and was in my 2 week liquid diet. Support here was open, honest and my lifeline as I never had heard of VSG prior to my surgeon recommending over LapBand.

Do I regret these small sacrafices? NO. Even with minor bumps after surgery, dealing with my emotions, learning new habits, morphing into a new me I would do it over again tomorrrow. Worrying about your decision in normal.

The VSG road is not always smooth but nothing worthwhile comes easily. I love my sleeve, no regrets.

I am 10 days out today and so far I have no regrets. It was not a hard decision for me to get sleeved since my Dr recommended weight loss surgery due to my health conditions . My BMI was 39 before surgery but I have health issues related to being obese. I had 80 lbs to lose only but I struggled with diets and working out for years and I could not lose weight . I am having reflux daily now but I haven't start my soft foods yet until next week,but the anti reflux medicine seems to help a lot. I had GERD prior surgery so I guess that does not help. I love your nick name :) My daughter's name is Ophelia. Good luck!

starting month five, foods are fine just hate losing the hair but they make male wigs so hey, not so bad.

Yes you can lose 60 pounds via diet and exercise. I started at 305 lost 70 pounds to 235 surgery date through diet and exercise (personal trainer used). Lost 45 to 190 from surgery (yup that was my 50% mark for surgery results) and last 10 pounds will be back to diet and exercise.

Question is can you maintain for rest of your life. We do it as a tool for life long health.

Yup, no regrets now that I am on all normal foods. Just don't like Hair loss but hair loss in most men is almost a given so whoopie it came off sooner than later.

Reflux and hair loss scare me a lot. I've never had reflux except when I was pregnant, and it was the worst. I could deal short-term but not as a permanent problem. Also, I have really, really baby fine hair that barely grows (maybe an inch or two a YEAR - no kidding), so Hair loss would be a BIG problem.

(Liliana, my daughter is Ophelia too. :)

I am a low BMI patient - started at 31. I have recently shot past my goal. I am about 9 months out. So far, I have no regrets. I'm not saying the journey was easy - it is mentally very difficult. You will have to face each and every one of your food demons in a real and emotional way. You won't be able to eat the things you want sometimes. You won't be able to mindlessly chew on something in front of the TV. You will be surprised at how some of these things will get to you.

I've lost 64 pounds and I am absolutely thrilled with how I look and my health. I think that the surgery affects us low BMI folks a little differently. I have struggled a lot with fatigue and have not exercised like I should because of it. This is a somewhat drastic answer to a weight problem, but is permanent and the results are fantastic.

I was never good at dieting. This is the only way I was ever going to lose that weight.

Good luck to you in your decision!

Rev Me Up, do you think that those who have less to lose tend to get tired more quickly? Did you have hair loss or reflux? I am 196 right now and my goals is 140, so we're approximately the same in terms of starting weight and goal weight.

I do worry about the food demons and my emotional attachment to food, which I obviously struggle with or I wouldn't be seriously considering WLS.

Ophelia, Surgery or not, you will have to face your food demons sometime. I am seeing a therapist to help me work through some issues because it was recommended in my psyche evaluation and because I want to maximize my benefits from this surgery.

So far, I've realized that it IS possible for me to deal with heavy emotions without resorting to food. I used to literally eat my problems away, but, just like an alcoholic, those problems were still waiting after I indulged. Now I'm learning to speak up when I'm upset, and to realize when I'm upset with someone, rather than eating something to shut myself up.

Whether you go forward with the sleeve or not, it's a good thing to deal with the food issues. I agree that most obese people do not have a healthy relationship with food. That's not our fault, but we are the ones who have to do the work to put food back in it's proper place in our lives.''\

I'm finding it very interesting that for me food is no longer divided into "good" or "bad". Now it either IS or IS NOT Protein. if I want something, I decide whether to eat it based on whether I have reached my Protein and Water goals for the day. I eat what I want, but I concentrate on the protein first, usually. Just like every other human being, I have days where I don't meet my goals, but I am changing my way of living, not "dieting".

That's the freedom I get from being sleeved. It lets me eat to live without the distractions of constant hunger. I no longer live to eat.

Oh, and dealing with problems now? I go walk somewhere, or I get on the treadmill, or I do my version of weighlifting. Once I've done some kind of physical activity, if I'm still upset, THEN I address the person who has upset me. So I'm also building my conflict resolution skills while I'm getting healthier. It's a win win for me! :)

Good luck with your journey!! :)