Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been a lurker for weeks. This is my first time starting a topic. :smile1: I'm 37, married, have three young kids. My BMI is "only" 30, but I have co-morbidity issues with high LDL cholesterol and hypertension. My insurance won't pay for any WLS regardless of BMI, and most surgeons in the U.S. won't take me. However, I know that if I don't do something extreme and permanent NOW, my BMI will just keep going up, since I can't maintain my weight loss. I am not taking this lightly. After much research, I have decided to go down to Mexico for the surgery. I'm close to San Diego, so that is convenient.

I am waffling between Dr. Almanza and Dr. Ramos-Kelly. I like that Almanza is much cheaper ($4200 on a special compared to $5700 for Kelly). His coordinator is awesome and so responsive. He is clearly an experienced surgeon and has done a lot of surgeries. I don't like the idea of a clinic (small, not having an ICU in case of a serious issue), and I would rather not be in a communal "recovery house" (although I could live with it). I'd also rather not deal with taking out my own stitches when I get home. But he does accept PayPal, which is a secure way to pay.

Dr. Kelly is more expensive ($1500 is not chump change to us). He is also experienced and has a good reputation. I like the idea of being in a hospital and having a private room at a hotel. I want to bring my laptop and think it will be more secure at the hotel. I also like that he speaks fluent English (I speak decent Spanish, but I don't know if I'll be that coherent post-op). He does fewer surgeries per day, which I also like. He seems more involved (from what I read of his reviews). However, if you pay by credit card with him, there's a 3 percent surcharge, which is a bit on nearly 6K.

Yes, I've read both about the "armed robbery" at Almanza's and death of a patient at Kelly's. As horrific as both of these are, I consider them flukes, the risk of having ANY major surgery or traveling overseas (or NOT - I was once robbed at gunpoint in Oakland).

I have read a LOT of threads on here and other forums about BOTH doctors, but I would like to hear recent thoughts from former patients of either doctor. I'm anxious and stressed enough already, so I'd appreciate it if people who don't like Mexico doctors/surgeries or either/both of the doctors I've listed here wouldn't respond with negative comments.

Thank you.

Ela

personally think some of the massive postings for some of these doctors appear fake put up by the doctors (not referring to anyone in particular) but it is to odd to get this many "Oh Wow" postings immediately and so frequently.

Do like you have research, one death does not a bad surgeon make, there is a mortality rate it is low. I do suggest do not let cost become your deciding factor, this is still a surgery and you want it done right. Also look to after care, will your doctor include follow up visits for how long, do the blood testing that should occur every 4 to six months, etc. etc or is it have a surgery and bye bye.

Do recommend from talking with the doctors who have had to fix the messes - don't do lapband and stick to the USA as they have done a lot of repairs from Mexico.

I too am planning to go to Mexico for my surgery, I did not consider Almanza, but did consider Kelly. I think I have made my decision (a completely different doctor), but choose what you feel is right. I did a lot of google searches with the doctor's name then "complication", "infection", "leak", etc as additional keywords. Then I read the info and judged whether or not it was true or fake. Mostly just by looking at the poster if it was on a forum, and seeing if they had a blog about their journey, or how involved they were with the site (pictures, tickers, posts about other things besides complaints, etc).

Good Luck!

I've been a lurker for weeks. This is my first time starting a topic. :smile1: I'm 37, married, have three young kids. My BMI is "only" 30, but I have co-morbidity issues with high LDL cholesterol and hypertension. My insurance won't pay for any WLS regardless of BMI, and most surgeons in the U.S. won't take me. However, I know that if I don't do something extreme and permanent NOW, my BMI will just keep going up, since I can't maintain my weight loss. I am not taking this lightly. After much research, I have decided to go down to Mexico for the surgery. I'm close to San Diego, so that is convenient.

I am waffling between Dr. Almanza and Dr. Ramos-Kelly. I like that Almanza is much cheaper ($4200 on a special compared to $5700 for Kelly). His coordinator is awesome and so responsive. He is clearly an experienced surgeon and has done a lot of surgeries. I don't like the idea of a clinic (small, not having an ICU in case of a serious issue), and I would rather not be in a communal "recovery house" (although I could live with it). I'd also rather not deal with taking out my own stitches when I get home. But he does accept PayPal, which is a secure way to pay.

Dr. Kelly is more expensive ($1500 is not chump change to us). He is also experienced and has a good reputation. I like the idea of being in a hospital and having a private room at a hotel. I want to bring my laptop and think it will be more secure at the hotel. I also like that he speaks fluent English (I speak decent Spanish, but I don't know if I'll be that coherent post-op). He does fewer surgeries per day, which I also like. He seems more involved (from what I read of his reviews). However, if you pay by credit card with him, there's a 3 percent surcharge, which is a bit on nearly 6K.

Yes, I've read both about the "armed robbery" at Almanza's and death of a patient at Kelly's. As horrific as both of these are, I consider them flukes, the risk of having ANY major surgery or traveling overseas (or NOT - I was once robbed at gunpoint in Oakland).

I have read a LOT of threads on here and other forums about BOTH doctors, but I would like to hear recent thoughts from former patients of either doctor. I'm anxious and stressed enough already, so I'd appreciate it if people who don't like Mexico doctors/surgeries or either/both of the doctors I've listed here wouldn't respond with negative comments.

Thank you.

Ela

Ela, I have sent you a PM. There are good and bad surgeons in both countries. People cannot just say surgeons in Mexico are bad. The fact is, Mexico has some of the best surgeons in the world and perform their surgeries in state of the art facilities. I know two surgeons personally that have taught many surgeons in the U.S. the VSG and the Plication. Please do your research and you will know who the right surgeon is for you and you will be at peace with your decision. Remember, communication is very important througout this process. Good luck.