Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Choose Your Weight Loss Goal?

I have not set one yet. Not a firm number, not a firm size really. I have a bit of difficulty "seeing" myself past a 16. beyond a 14? lol...but I am trying, because I wonder what I would look like as a 5'10" inch me, just a size 10.

Did you go by a desired size? inches? BMI?

I never set an actual weight goal. I had mini weight goals along the way, and my last one was Onederland. My ultimate goals were all Size based. My first Ultimate goal I placed on myself was to fit in a Size 8. Well... I fit in a size 8 before I even hit Onederland. Weird huh? I had to set a new size goal because I knew I absolutely had to see that number on the scale. So, I made myself a new Size goal a 4. The picture in my signature line is me wearing those 4's. I got into them and decided to start the plastic surgery process, which has taken me off track for awhile. I've not gained anything, in fact quite the opposite.

If I didn't have 6 Lbs of silicone in my chest I'd be in the 160's right now. LOL :)

Everyone should figure out where they would find that moment of satisfaction, whatever you choose - I can tell you, you will make it.

I remembered myself being quite slender and fit when I was 190, so I added 10 lbs to it to get a realistic goal. Go figure ... I am now at 195 and still have some fat under the loose skin. So, that tells me I have also lost a lot of muscle, too, but I can work on that. I probably will reset my goal now to 185 knowing that I will gain some muscle (lifting 3-4x / week) and we'll see about the loose skin later. No way to get rid of that except plastic surgery.

I've set my goals based upon body composition, aiming for 15% give or take a bit (given the flakeyness of body comp measurments) body fat, which is midrange of the "normal" or "fitness" range for men (equivalent to low to mid twenties for women). That means that my scale weight target has shifted some as the body comp changes with the weight loss and some muscle mass is inevitably lost along with all of the fat, but for the lean mass that I am still carrying (within 10 lb of goal now) I will still be an "overweight" 27ish on a BMI basis, but to be a "normal" BMI would make me too lean to be healthy.

I just picked a number I thought would be good. When I was a sophomore in high school I weighed 124 and wore a size 7. I felt like that was too skinny for me. When I got pregnant with my son, 19 yrs ago, I was 180. So I thought 150 would be a good number, not sure if I will ever get there but anything under 200 I would be entirely happy with.

http://www.healthche...weightchart.htm

The link above is from the Metropolitan Life Insurance company - it is their official height / weight tables. It lists the target weight ranges for women assuming 3 lbs of clothing wearing 1" heals. It also lists the ranges by frame size (small, medium and large). If you don't know your frame size - it also tells you how to measure and determine that - by using the distance between the two prominent bones in your elbow when your arm is bent at a 90 degree angle to your body.

So first, determine your frame size. Then, find your target weight range from the chart. Determine how much weight there is from where you started to both the top and bottom of the target weight range. That would be the high and low numbers for how much excess weight you started with. My surgeon told me a VSG sleve patient usually losing 85% of their excess weight in the first year. So take 85% of both your excess weight numbers and subtract that from your original weight. That will give you your high and low numbers for how much weight you will probably lose in the first year.

Here's an example using my numbers:

I started out weighing 253. I am 5'4 barefoot

Using the method described on the link, I measured the distance between the two bones in my elbow at 2". This means I have a small frame (hard to believe).

Going to the chart for height and weight, a 5'5" women with a small frame should weigh 117 - 130.

That means I was carrying between 122 to 136 pounds of excess weight. (253-130=122, 253-117=136)

85% of these numbers are 104 and 116 pounds projected weight loss at one year (85% *122=104, 85%*136=116 both numbers rounded up)

So my goal weight for one year is most likely between 137 and 149.

Hope this helps

I picked what I weighed when I graduated high school and before I got preggo with son #1. A former co-worker told me that I looked really good when I weighed 170, so that's my number. :)

SK, I just used your chart and it says that I am a large frame, at 5'8", I should weight between 146-167. So my goal weight is pretty much in line with that at 170. :)

True Lissa, I used that chart used by SK and was measured a large frame too. Being 5'7 it says I should weigh 143-163. I'm wondering though, If it says WITH 1" inch heels, does that mean I would look at the 5'8 line? I'm a little confused. I know I just feel fine where I'm at right now. I personally don't care if I don't lose anymore - it just seems to me that if I got to 165, which I probably will once I'm 100% healed from my lipo's that would put me at the top range of normal per that scale in the 5"8 line.

Anyway - like I said, I'm just glad I'm not 160 Lbs overweight anymore!!

I'll be thrilled when I get to the 100's again. I have a long way to go, but I WILL get there.

BTW, Diva, did you notice that I stole your miles idea? I'm going to add up all my miles and figure out how far I've walked/ridden when I get done with each month. Maybe I'll make it all the way to California on my treadmill and bike! :)

I guessed. The chart at my surgeons office said the most I could weigh at my height and be in a "healthy" range was 145. So I picked 150. In reality- I can not imagine hitting 150. I weighted 150 in the 7th grade. I would love to get back to 180- that is the lowest weight I have been in my adult life.

weight.png

I'll be thrilled when I get to the 100's again. I have a long way to go, but I WILL get there.

BTW, Diva, did you notice that I stole your miles idea? I'm going to add up all my miles and figure out how far I've walked/ridden when I get done with each month. Maybe I'll make it all the way to California on my treadmill and bike! :smile1:

Heyyy now!!! When you "get here" we'll have a cheers!!! :Banane57:

LUCYCAT - In reality when we spend years and decades being obese we will end up with quite a bit of extra skin and shrunken fat cells. These fat cells multiply but they never disappear, the only way to get rid of them is surgically. This stuff weighs a LOT! As long as you end up healthy, happy and more active - then you have succeeded!

http://www.healthche...weightchart.htm

The link above is from the Metropolitan Life Insurance company - it is their official height / weight tables. It lists the target weight ranges for women assuming 3 lbs of clothing wearing 1" heals. It also lists the ranges by frame size (small, medium and large). If you don't know your frame size - it also tells you how to measure and determine that - by using the distance between the two prominent bones in your elbow when your arm is bent at a 90 degree angle to your body.

So first, determine your frame size. Then, find your target weight range from the chart. Determine how much weight there is from where you started to both the top and bottom of the target weight range. That would be the high and low numbers for how much excess weight you started with. My surgeon told me a VSG sleve patient usually losing 85% of their excess weight in the first year. So take 85% of both your excess weight numbers and subtract that from your original weight. That will give you your high and low numbers for how much weight you will probably lose in the first year.

Here's an example using my numbers:

I started out weighing 253. I am 5'4 barefoot

Using the method described on the link, I measured the distance between the two bones in my elbow at 2". This means I have a small frame (hard to believe).

Going to the chart for height and weight, a 5'5" women with a small frame should weigh 117 - 130.

That means I was carrying between 122 to 136 pounds of excess weight. (253-130=122, 253-117=136)

85% of these numbers are 104 and 116 pounds projected weight loss at one year (85% *122=104, 85%*136=116 both numbers rounded up)

So my goal weight for one year is most likely between 137 and 149.

Hope this helps

I think that will be very helpful - and just some interesting information to keep in the noggin'!

Thank you! :biggrin5:

I am basing my goal weight on adding 15 lbs. to what I weighed till I was in my late 20s. I am 5'6" with a small frame. I weighed 120 and felt great. I added 15 lbs because I'm now in my 50s and need to carry a little more weight so my face won't look gaunt.

One thing to consider is how much you weighed at your highest. I have read that bones thicken to support extra weight so that may add a few pounds you don't see. And as Diva mentioned, extra skin will add a few pounds.

Lynda

My surgeon set my original goal and I know why he set it...because it was just about -5lbs inside the "healthy BMI" range. However at my 9 month appt. he looked at me and at his notes for my goal and was like "let's up it +15lbs" I think he was just going based on how I was looking at the time (I seem to carry my weight fairly well.)

So I mulled it over and at my one year checkup, we discussed it again and at the time I was in a wicked stall, so I agreed with him that we should bump it up a bit. Since then my stall broke and I'm FEELING much more positive that I will reach my goal, eventually. But I will keep it as my first goal (and BMI-wise it's just slightly over the healthy line) and then I will see how I feel when I get there.