Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Apprehensions....

So, it's very close to December... a month full of decisions, preparation and hopefully, surgery for me! I've been thinking (ok, ok...stressing out) about how different my life will be and if I will ever adjust to being sleeved and the restrictions that come with my new friend. I'm a very social person and I didn't realize how much my life revolved around food and eateries until I decided to start cooking at home... My social life has come to an abrupt, but much needed snail's pace and my friends think I'm ignoring them!!! LOL... Even at work, my friends and I chat over lunch and/or Snacks... I'm looking for ways to replace this time with other satisfying, yet healthy options... I think I'm going to use a groupon and do a yoga session w/ all of my friends for my birthday or rent gym space and get a trainer friend to do a boot camp w/ my closet girlfriends followed by massages...

I'm sure this is normal!! I feel so unprepared though... like, I haven't found a Protein Drink that I like (I have a few more to try)...I don't know what I'm going to do about clothes and cooking and yada, yada, yada.... Just pre-op jitters???

Hey Favored!

I was thinking the same thing last night. My husband and I are very social, having parties all the time at our house. We have big game nights with food and drinks and everything. He is actually throwing a birthday party for me on Saturday and I will be on my pre op diet. Some of the people there will know why I'm not eating, but....

Anyway, like I was saying, I was thinking about that too. I decided that the games night could continue and since we are the ones preparing the food, we can make them (or at least some of the items) sleeve friendly. I also decided to move away from doing so much with our group of friends at home and try to venture out more. We all love to bowl and things like that, so I think for our February social, I'll suggest we do that instead of game night at my house. I know it is going to be a change, but you're already on the right track thinking of alternatives. It amazes me how much of my social life revolves around food. I catch up with friends by going to dinner. A day out always involves a meal in a restaurant. Believe it or not, Thanksgiving was the first time my stove and oven have been on in 2011!!!

Good luck and keep thinking of ideas. I'll definitely be stealing the ones you mentioned. LOL

Whooohoooo!!! You are now LESS than one month away from your big day!! I'm sooo excited for you!!! :Banane57:

You are thinking right in trying to incorporate more healthy solutions as events to do with your friends. Kudos to you! I know how it is when any event with family or friends revolve around good food. I've always been the same way. However now that you're changing, the habits must change with you.

Note one thing, this doesn't have to be forever. Just for the next year or so while you are on your losing phase, and while you won't be able to eat much anyhow. In time, at goal your sleeve will likely be at capacity and you will once again enjoy fanciful and fun meals with your family and friends. The blessing of the sleeve though is, it will still be FAR LESS consumption had you a normal stomach.

You are completely normal in your thoughts... no worries. :smile1:

Here's to the next month!!! When do you start your pre-op diet?

I start my pre-op Dec. 15th or 19th... It's only a week.. I guess I'm just nervous!! My family insisted that I was doing well losing weight on my own.. LOL.. somehow, everyone has found out about my surgery...hmmmm....

I'm okay.. just need to drink more Water and not miss meals... I hope I've lost a few more pounds when I see my doc on thursday! (fingers crossed)...

To be honest, I got my sleeve in October, and hosted Thanksgiving the following month! I really didn't have any issue because I was too busy making sure everyone else was eating and drinking to worry about myself. I just kept my Protein shake full, and nibbled on some turkey, which might I say for my very first, was FABULOUS!!!! The only thing that I had trouble with was energy. Towards the end of the day I was BEAT! but my mom and hubby helped with the clean up. I think as long as your friends are understanding and you can substitute sleeve friendly foods where needed you shouldn't have any problems. Have Soups when going out to eat, just sip on the broth, leave the noodles and veggies until you get to that stage. Drink a Protein Shake before or after you go.

Don't worry you will be fine, the hard part is only the first few weeks. Then it is smooth sailing.

Patti

I am having the same experience as pattimomof3nj. I am still on full liquids and had a ton of family members over for Thanksgiving and I had a great time enjoying everyones company. I, of course did not cook or ate any of it, but "I didn't die". LOL You are planning and that is WONDERFUL!!!!!! You will do great!

Thanks guys!! I can be a worrywart!!! I just want to get this right!! (Of course, my doc says, I shouldn't think about getting stuff right all the time, just about doing the right things one day at a time).. and it's true... I'm getting better!

You all are some supportive and full of wisdom.. I really appreciate it!!!

I'm stressing over the same things. My husband and I have always shared time by eating out. Winter in Ky, I couldn't be sleeved at a worse time,,there's nothing to do in our town so we are racking our brains trying to figure out what we'll do in place of eating out. I've been searching for Protein too. As for trying to get prepared, I've compiled a list of things to get for the first week after surgery but haven't bought the first thing yet. I'm trying to keep my head in the game to stay motivated. At my surgeon's request, I had cardiac test this morning and fried chicken afterwards was not smart..this is the kind of thing I need to work on. I hosted Thanksgiving and told family I won't be doing anymore dinners like that for a long time. It is alot to plan for! I told my husband it was likely I would have nothing to wear in a couple months,,what do I do? I'll have to follow this post, it's a good one!

I understand your concerns about all the socializing done around food. I am having my sleeve done in my native country, Dominican Republic, so for the past 4 months I have been staying with my grandmother and the woman loves to cook. Every Sunday there's a buffet style lunch here, all my aunts and cousins come and spend the day eating! At the beginning it was hard, but at the same time It allowed me to reaffirm the commitment I made to myself. There's always going to be food around, I just have to learn to eat what is right for me and my future sleeve. I now find it kind of funny all the concerned looks I get when my family sees what I'm going to eat, before it used to be concern at how much I ate.

About the Protein, I have read that after surgery your taste buds change and you might not like the ones you liked pre-surgery.