Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad Panic Attack -- I'm So Scared. I Need Positive Post-op Stories Or Is This A Nightmare Mistake I'm About To Make?

You will be ok!!!!! I am going to be sleeved in January so I don't have any post op advice to share...but I think you are doing the right thing.

I have been researching this procedure over 1 year and have seen TONS of stories and seen people go through their surgery and first year in that time and what they went through.

Let me tell you this.....you WILL get buyers remorse. Almost everyone does the first few days out. Then you start healing, you start getting the hang of your new eating, and you improve nearly every day.

You also WILL lose weight if you follow your surgeons plan. Just trust that they know what they are talking about. I saw your post OH and you have Dr. Cirangle? He is probably one of the best surgeons in CA, if not the entire US. You are in very capable hands with him. His post op plan and support is also top notch. You couldn't ask for a better doctor and program.

I'm not going to sugar coat it though.....it will be tough and you will have moments of doubt....but I have yet to see a single long term sleever REGRET this operation. In the short term...yeah lots of people are pissed and wonder what they did....but long term it works out.

The sleeve is also likely the safest WLS procedure you can do....IMO. Better chance of success than the crap band, and with less side effects than an RNY or DS.

I feel I gave myself the best odds of success by choosing him.

Think about this a lot. That is what gave me a lot of peace. I knew I had a surgeon at the top of his game.. That is why I picked him! I also knew he has a great team that would know what to do, even if complications were to occur. The rest was out of my hands. I prepared for the worst and wished for the best. Guess what came true?

It's my day 8 and I have had NO buyers remorse, I have lots of energy, I continue to be positive.......I am so darn happy!!!!! I did not plan for this. My family and I are super surprised at how I am feeling. I was prepared for a tougher battle. Actually I still am, in case there are tough days ahead of me.

I am sure you researched this thoroughly and you know deep down you have made a good decision. I wish that you do some breathing exercises, read a good book, go for a walk........or whatever calms you down. Trust that you did your homework , now help yourself by thinking positive. :hug:

coffee, No panic attack is allowed!! You can fret and worry, but you need to ultimately let go of the anxiety and let God handle this. You will be fine!

Remember, whatever is bothering you, if you can do something about it, then do it. If you can't do anything about it, then let it GO. That's the serenity prayer, rephrased of course. I was pretty scared pre-op and even KNEW I was going to die on the table. But, I went through with it because I already had a death sentence hanging over me. If I hadn't had the surgery, I would be dead within a year or so.

I know these last few days are tough. You're SO excited and SO worried, all at the same time. But, you will be on the loser's bench soon and then you'll wonder why on earth you ever got so scared.

I'm not going to sugarcoat this, the first few days and the post-op liquid diet will be tough. But, you control HOW tough it will be. If you have a good attitude and you do what your surgeon recommends, you'll have a much easier recovery period. Before you know it, you'll be back on solid foods and adjusting well to your new life.

Good luck with these last few days. I'm saving you a spot on the loser's bench between me and Longer Life. :)

Here's an easy story ok, and I know others that have had just as easy of a time. I went to the hospital on Thursday had my surgery and went home Friday afternoon. For me it was easier than my 2 c-sections. I haven't struggled at all. This was the best thing I ever did for myself! Just think even if you struggle a bit in the long run this will be the best thing you are going to do for yourself! I was even back exercising at week 2! The honest truth hardest part for me was the 2 week pre op diet so if you can do that you'll be FINE! Keep your chin up and keep reading and posting to this board. There is a lot of great people on here with great stories and advice. Best of luck to you!

I just had my surgery tuesday November 22 with Dr Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico and talk about nervous. But, once I met the entire team my fears went away. i tell u this...it may all seem like a dream once your going through the process but it is real and is worth it. I promise it will be the best decision of your life. All the fears you are having I had and I was about to call the whole thing off but, i got on youtube and started looking at some of the most amazing sucess stories and got my nerve back up. After that I was fine you are going through normal emotions and you will be ok. Go for it girl it will be the best decision of your life.

In my experience, surgery and recovery are a breeze. Learning to no longer depend on food for fun, entertainment, solace, etc. is a bit harder. I completely panicked before surgery as well. I was ready to leave the pre-op staging area- I was that scared. Luckily, I prayed, asked for a sign and God gave me an immense feeling of peace that convinced me to stay.

I almost had gastric bypass twice before the sleeve was available and I chickened out both times because I was scared. Now, I am very glad I walked away from those procedures so that I could have the sleeve and live normally. I guess I share this so that you can know that I also believe sometimes backing out is the right answer.

No one on this site knows you, your lifestyle or where you are on this journey. Know that you have a choice and make the choice that is best for you. Just know that their are many who have had this surgery and found much success. :)

Hugs-

Amanda

Are you in my head? I have had to take something for sleep the last two nights or I stay up for hours obsessing over how I am going to die in surgery or without it. I can't decide if this is right or wrong. I am terrified to go through with this and equally terrified not to do it.

I wish it were just over so I couldn't obsess anymore.

Is it December 8th yet?

Hello i am new to this site but can relate to your posts. I am having the gastric sleeve january 16. i am having it in mexico with Dr. Ortiz. i have done lots of research but still scares me. i have lost 20 pounds of my 24 pounds i have to loose before surgery.

Oh my dear! I too suffer from panic attacks and i can only imagine what you are going through!

Won't it be wonderful once it's over and you can come back and alleviate others fears?

Not sure if you believe in holistic things, but you could try some herbal relaxing remedies to keep you centered and positive. :)

I just had a really ugly panic attack and need some positive post-op stories otherwise I think I may explode.

Also, if someone wants to call me, that would be welcome. I'm at 415-439-3879.

Please help -- thank you!!!

Totally understandable. I am prone to panic attacks too. On the day of my operation, I shivered down my spine in the waiting room all day long. I was even scared when they drew blood from me before the op. Fear isn't necessarily rational, and while I believe it is important to express and not necessarily suppress negative thoughts, it is also important to keep in mind several points:

1. The doctor who operates on you is not a newbie and essentially has the expertise to do his job. He's done dozens and hundreds of sleeves and he knows his job, so as much as exciting and scary it is to you, it is a routine for him. He is surrounded by medical staff to aid him too.

2. I looked up several researches about the mortality rate among sleevers. One researched mentioned 4 out of 1,000 people and another 6 out of 1,000 people. A Greek research mentioned 0 casualties. Those who passed away were extreme cases and often died from other unrelated issues that manifested post-op.

3. It is much more likely to die from obesity related diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes and heart diseases. You'd be taking a greater risk by not dealing with your weight issue.

I really loathe the while "be optimistic" thing. I prefer cold, scientific, non-disprovable facts to convince me that everything will be alright, regardless of my thoughts and fears. I hope this convinces you too.

you make a good point estella, the routine part. i always think every surgery for a doctor is some bloody emergency OR scene from a movie or show from tv. where they are yelling STAT! a lot and everyone is running around. i guess it's not like that at all is it? haha.