Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oddest Thing - Was Your Experience Like This?

Hi Fellow banana Babes! (love that name)

I was sleeved on Friday morning. I had so much stress from work that the surgery wasn't the uppermost thing on my mind and that probably helped me.

Although not everyone has it as easy as I am, this surgery has been the oddest thing because I feel like nothing happened. My stomach has the scars, but I just feel like I've done too many sit-ups. I can sleep on my side, don't feel dizzy, can take care of all my own needs, and have no nausea. I wish I had done this years ago so my health would not have been compromised by waiting and hoping counting points would work if I tried it for the 20th time!

It is so odd to me to have major surgery with so little discomfort - I hope my surgeon really did take out some of my stomach - LOL!

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that my surgery took place at 8:45am and I was home by 3:00 as an outpatient. Is having this type of experience normal? I wish everyone could have it this easy, but I haven't heard of anyone going through this and wondering how can this be so simple? Simple might not be the right word, but you get the idea.

Would love to hear if anyone else is like me.

Veda,

Congratulations! Seriously I have not seen anyone released from hospital same day. That is amazing. Did you have pre-op diet to follow? Maybe your liver was in good shape and your health overall is just in a good place for this surgery. What stats did your surgeon have? Mine had performed 41 sleeves so I felt comfortable, although I had wished he had more experience but he has had much success with RNY and good education.

Wow! Here is to continued success.

Sandy

Sandy,

Thanks for your response! My health was that I was pre-diabetic, high cholosterol, fatty liver, pallops (spelling?) had to be removed when they did the pre-op endoscopy and during surgery a hernia was repaired. I also was really tired a lot and was told I have nodules on my thyroid, which is badly messed up - thus the weight gain.

I now have lots of energy and I'm only 5 days out! Dr, Barverman, NEW Program in Newport Beach, CA is one of a team of 3 doctors who only do WLS. They have preformed over 2,500 of them and seem to be very enthusiastic about their work. They have had 1 death due to taking an extremely high risk patient. As far as complications, their record is the best in the country according to the third party they all report stats to.

I had 2 weeks of a pre-op diet. I did not like it at all - they use a product called Bariatric Advantage. To say it tastes bad is an understatement.

I best to you! 43 pounds down and counting - wow, congrats!!!

Veda,

I was sleeved a week ago on Tuesday and stayed one night. I don't recall hearing anyone who was outpatient. That's a fast turn-around, esp considering the hernia repair. But, I am glad you have had a great experience! My experience has been very good too, so far. My first 7 days were terrific! I had my pain under control. The gas was annoying. I had energy & really didn't feel fatigued until a little bit starting this week, and even then, it was just the normal post-op sludgy feeling. I managed my little bit of nausea with Phenergan gel, so it was never a problem. I just feel so fortunate to not have had any post-op problems. I am always aware that things could have gone another direction in an instant. I did wait several days before driving and then only stayed close to home & kept my outings limited in quantity & duration. I have 3 kids, so there isn't much time to take it easy. I cleaned and cooked and did laundry and took care of them, so yes, it was good. Now, this week, I am feeling some deeper internal discomfort where they removed the stomach. I have a 2" incision where they took it out, which has been painful thru the different layers of tissue. I have 6 incisions total. So, I have been trying this week to stay rested and let the house go a bit so I don't hurt myself or wear myself out. I haven't had the energy to do my 30 minutes a day of exercise yet, but I am going to look at an elliptical today so I can start. Have you begun your exercise routine yet?

Best wishes!

Stacey

Wow that is amazing. I was in the hospital for 3 days! But of course, being pay out of pocket it came with the package and I was going to get EVERYTHING for my $15,500.00! LOL. . . but i had a bit of discomfort for about 1 week, nothing serious, nothing that tylenol couldn't handle. You're amazing, had your surgery as an outpatient! That is wild. . .never heard of that before. Didn't you have a JP drain? didn't you feel like you got hit by a locomotive going about 100 mph when you woke up? Wow, once again, your amazing. . . wish all my previous surgeries had been that good. . . do you have restriction? Do you know what size bougie your surgeon used? keep us posted and the best of luck to you!

I got sleeved on Nov 14 and for the first two days felt like I had been hit by a truck. Not pain-just the coming out of anesthesia stuff. Since then it has been all uphill.

I totally get that "I wonder if he really did take out my stomach" because that's how I felt. Like maybe they didn't really do the surgery. Until I tried to eat and found I couldn't even finish off 1/4 cup.

Stacey-Exercise, Really? sounds like your daily life is exercise! I remember those days of chasing the little ones-seemed like more than 30 min of exercise to me. Glad to hear you are doing so well.

Don't you all just love this forum! All the support is great!

Some of your comments were so funny that I read them to my hubby (first time I've done that!).

OK, here's the update - I have done great, but did have to go to the ER for pain in my left side. It is getting better now. I guess I pulled a muscle and this was my warning to SLOW down. I finally did realize that restriction does exist in this body. Now, I do have to pace myself and work at getting all the Protein and Water in, but so far so good.

I'm trying not to focus on the scale too much. I've only lost 5 pounds since surgery, but it took a while to put it on so it will take a while to take off...

The worse part of all of this is the Bariatric Advantage products (protein, Vitamins, Iron supplements, etc.) that my surgeon requires all his patients to purchase. I think they are awful.

It is great for us all to be on this journey together through this forum! Don'tchathink?

Hi Veda, DebiC, SLL and our expert thinoneday,

Veda definitely good to listen to your body. Sorry you were in ER, I know what it is like to end up in ER and have secondary surgery within 2weeks of having VSG. So please do continue to move forward just maybe a little slower. DebiC, I think I read you like lemonade with sugar, maybe a little soon for that acid please just take your time. We need to think of our tummies like baby tummy. In time we will get back to those special treats. SLL wow woman, with 3 little ones...that is exercise. You may benefit for some "me" time. Make sure you do just that. Thin...thanks for keeping us in check with your experience.

Agree Veda LOVE the support from this site. Thanks goes out to Alex for making this possible. The positive support real life experiences are so valuable.

Take care all

Sandy