Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone NOT lost their hair?

Hi I am 8 weeks post op... and I haven't lost any hair, I didn't know it was likely to happen! have lots of people lost their hair then?

I have lost 56lbs and I'm very happy with that!

I haven't lost any hair yet. I started Biotin at 2 months out and I'm religious (now) about getting my Protein in daily.

I haven't lost any yet either but I am 14 weeks out-- not out of the woods yet! My surgeon said I have my slightly lower BMI to start and my age on my side!

Anyone who is less than 4 months out and hasn't lost hair ...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't usually start falling out until 3-4 months post-op.

When it stops just depends on how much weight you lose, how quickly you lose it and other factors. It is AWESOME to keep up your Protein and Vitamins (Biotin will not prevent loss, only help grow new hair) but just because you do doesn't guarantee you won't lose your hair. It is extremely common to lose hair after any type of WLS, bypass, band, sleeve, DS, etc. Most people just lose volume, etc. Mine was mostly noticable to me (and my family and my vacuum!)

But I would rather lose my hair than be morbidly obese any day of the year!

M2G, I hear you on the Biotin. I just decided to be as proactive as I could be to try and stave off hair loss...and to give me an edge if it does start. I hope it helps.

My hair is pretty thick, so other people probably won't realize I'm losing it either. My big worry is having a huge bald spot like a gal that came to our support group meeting. She had her hair dyed very dark brown and her pink scalp showed way too well. I'm also lightening mine again, as much to cover the gray as anything else.

I thought I was Iosing hair in wk 1 but I'm in wk three n it's ok or very very minimal at most mainly when brush out tangles.

I am 14 weeks out and my hair is falling by the handfulls, I'm afraid to brush it because it doesn't seize. I hope it stops soon because I'm close to being bald and thinking of buying a nice wig or hair piece!

My hair started falling out at four months and lasted about 2 months. I started taking Biotin at 3 months and continue to take it. I noticed it mostly in the shower and hair on my clothes. In the last month the falling out has slowed considerably to now what was "normal" prior to surgery. I dont think it was noticeable to anyone by myself.

Well, I'm not the best to ask cause my hair was already thinning with the typical age related male pattern but after 11 months I have NOT noticed any acceleration or increase in fallout.

My hair started falling out about 3 weeks after surgery and continues to fall out like crazy. I had the thickest hair ever. When I put in in a ponytail it was like a cucumber. Now it's like 2 long green Beans. It's very sad because I loved my thick hair. I have been religious about getting all of my Protein from very early on so understand that it's not prevented by gettting all of your protein everyday. I now take Biotin and I just ordered Nioxin Shampoo. I've lost 57 pounds so I'm excited and thrilled about that! I just wish I had my hair too. :(

>4 months out and no Hair loss here. I'm pretty religious about getting my Protein and Vitamins in. Also excersize and all that other good stuff. I've had pretty rapid weight loss, as well. I've always had thick hair and continue to do so.