Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Days to go!!! Need Support!!!!!!!

Hi,

Everyone I am on the count down 6 more days. I must say I am getting nervous. I have to tell someone that I am, I don't want to share my worries with my family so here I am. I am away from home visiting my middle daughter that is due in June with my first grandaughter. Nevaeh is to be her name, heaven spelled backwards.

I guess the closer it gets I like many of you have the feeling of oh my gosh am I doing the right thing. The what if's, and plain old nerves.

My daughter lives here with her boyfriend who was born in Mexico, but has been here in Reno since he was 1yr old. Last night I met his mom for the first time and she too was like oh no not Tijuana I wouldn't go there. She speaks english but not real well so it was difficult explaining to her that I have a lot of you telling me of your great experiences there. I am glad with my decision on Dr. Lopez and from all that I have heard I have nothing to worry about. But the closer it gets and with all the negatives that I hear about doing what I am going to do and where I am going to do it. I just think it has my nerves rattled.

That is why I am writing today. I need all the support that I can get from all of you. And I new that venting would help.

So if I could get some words of encouragement from anyone I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks so much for being here!!!

Kathy

May 21st

Dr. Lopez

Hi Kathy -

I got the same thing from my Mom about going to TJ, but my mind was made up. I knew I had to do this surgery. I had no real idea what to expect, had not met any "live" people who'd had surgery with Dr. Lopez. It was just a shot in the dark based on one person's recommendation.

I have not regretted my decision for even one second. Now I know several people I have met live that have had surgery w/Dr. Lopez, including myself.

Dr. Lopez is great. Try not to worry too much!

Donali,

Thanks for your support and words of encouragement. I need to hold on to it. I do know that I need this surgery.

I knew that I could count on some support here.

Thanks so much,

Kathy

Would you have doubts if you were having gall bladder surgery ?

Or your appendix removed?

Heres how i looked at it. I knew what my weight is now and what it will be in a few years (based on im built like my uncles and following them amlost to the pound.)

I know that diabietes and other things like that run in my family.

and this surgery can help prevent or slow down these things. therefore it was a mandatory surgery and just like anyother kind it had to be done.

When I started to look at it like that, I wasnt anywhere neer as skiddish about it. i was still concerned because i was going under the knife (as we all should be) but it helped when i saw it as a way to help save my life and making it a little longer.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

Don't worry about Tijuana, it's as safe as any large american city. Doctor Lopez is a great doctor. And you are in good hands!

I had my surgery done in TJ by a very well known doctor, it was not Dr Lopez but he is one of his associates (Dr Ortiz)

Trust me when I tell you all of us who went to Mexico most likely had the same thoughts and worries that you are having. My family and friends acted the same way. I felt as though they did not think that I knew what I was doing. Do they not think I researched this and researched my doctor. The same worries and same problems could occur here in the states as in TJ. My hospital was nice and the staff was wonderful and my doctor and his staff are fabulous and if I had to do it all over again I would do it the exact same way. I love my Dr. and I love my band!

Michelle

Thanks again,

I really appreciate all of your encouragement.

4 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Lopez did my surgery in TJ. But Dr. Lopez had patients in the hospital at the same time, and Dr. Ortiz asked how I was doing and answered the questions I forgot to ask Lopez. I was really fortunate because I feel I got the best of both worlds - two doctors!

As far as going to TJ, it's not as frightening as I worried about myself. First, their driver picks you up from the airport. When he gets to the boarder, he goes into the "Commuter Lane" where he doesn't have to wait. He was not treated like a regular person crossing over, and he only spoke a few words in Spanish and then drove right through. The same driver took me back to the airport on my way home. There was a 2-3 hour wait at the border, but again, he went into a special lane with only one other truck waiting in front of us. We pulled over, the driver got out of the truck and opened the hood of the car for regular inspection. The American inspector asked to see my ID and asked if I purchased anything in TJ. I told him I had surgery there, and he simply said "have a nice day" and we crossed into San Diego with no questions.

I was very concerned about being in TJ, so I decided to stay as short as possible. They allowed me 4 nights in either the hospital or hotel, but I simply stayed in the hospital for two nights and then went home. Everyone that stayed in the hotel said they felt completely safe, but I didn't take any chances. I had nothing to worry about because the hospital staff took very good care of me. You won't feel like galavanting through the streets of Tijuana, so you don't have anything to worry about.

P.S. I'm under the impression that Dr. Lopez (and most likely Ortiz) gets special privileges that he extends to his patients. For example, his staff double-parks in front of the busy office complex with no problems, so the car is always waiting front and center for you. And when Nora walks you to each different office to get your blood work, x-rays, and to see the cardiologist, I barely had to wait and was taken before regular patients. I got the impression that band patients are treated as a priority.

You are never left alone anywhere. There's always somebody to make you feel at ease.

Kathy

I was also Banded in (Monterrey) Mexico, and went by myself. It sounds like your bags are packed and your ready. My thoughts are with you.

Keep us posted

Thanks everyone, this will probably be my last post before my surgery. We leave tomorrow after I get off work. I feel so much better the support here has been the greatest.

Thanks all!!!

2 days to go!!!

See ya on the banded side!:D