Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not mentally prepared...

I am 5 days out of my surgery and am a little nervous. I knew the surgery was the best idea for me but I don't think I was mentally prepared for all the changes that would take place. I'll be honest...I love food so not being able to eat what I want when I want is really different. I know had I not had the sleeve done, I would have been more overweight than what I was before the surgery so I'm glad I got it done. It's just had to adjust when all you see on tv are food commercials and I'm dreaming of it. Does anyone have any ideas in how I can make this adjustment as easily as possible? Thanks.

During my first few weeks post-op, I HATED food commercials. I avoided TV altogether, because of those evil food commercials with the yummy food in slow motion.

I had a hard time at first, too. The best thing you can do is just remember why you had the surgery, which you're doing. The first month is the hardest, but it does get better as you adapt to your new stomach and eating habits. It was also a huge shock for me.

Chewing gum and eating Jello helped during the liquids phase for me. Maybe try watching DVDs instead of cable for awhile, only because those food commercials really do mess with your head. Once you get into the mushy food phase, you'll feel soooo much better.

The first few weeks are rough and nothing like how things will be once your sleeve is fully healed and matured. Once you progress to eating mushies things get a lot easier. Just hang in there.

Hi! I am 5 days post op too and am dying for some real food! Tv commercials are bad. My mom is taking care of me and she is cooking and eating Snacks that I can't have as I suck on my Popsicle. When does it get better!!

I think preop what helped me was being in ketosis with high protien. I just had my surgery too an I want those things to. I'm trying to drink protien but it isn't that good now. hot coco sugar free or mix sugar free an reg coco is a sub for something sweet. Try it

It will get better once you can eat real food again. Hang in there! I know it is hard to change your life. It is so worth it though. You will see!

I am two weeks out and the first week all I did was cry...I was used to eating whatever and whenever I wanted and now I have to plan my meals and blend my food and eat stuff I'm sick of eating. I'm already tired of the dam Protein Shakes and the Jello and soft foods. It bothers me everyday and makes me wonder if this was the right decison. I'm like you, I know I would have continued to eat and end up bigger than I was, but I't s not easy. You are not alone trust me.

I am actually seeking professional help for it all! We live in a remote community, but a mental health worker travels here once a month. I will be meeting with her each time she visits to discuss my addiction to food and helping me find alternatives to eating.

I have also been reading through these books and they are fantastic.

5134AV6TNNL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU15_SS50_.jpg

The Success Habits of Weight-Loss Surgery Patients

Colleen M. Cook

Paperback

41cW6MRhxpL._SL500_SS50_.jpg

The Weight Loss Surgery Coping Companion

Dr Tanie Miller Kabala

Paperback

I try and stay out of the kitchen as much as possible, but it is hard with two little boys and a husband to cook for. I keep my hands busy by reading, sewing and going on this forum.

See if there is any professional help in your area. It will really come in handy. If we don't discover the reasons behind our eating habits, it will be harder to maintain our weight loss down the road.

Like Yukon, I am an advocate of utilizing professional help in this fight. I really needed someone to help me understand how my emotions became so intertwined with food so that I could seperate the two. It was the best decision I made.

I also remember the first 10 days post-op as being some of the most mentally-difficult days of my life. Although I had been seeing a therapist pre-op, I still had work to do. Surgery basically ripped away my emotional support system of food. I was one of the few who didn't have any a strict pre-op diet so post-op was the first exposure for me. It was rough!

Even if you don't seek out a therapist, consider journaling your thoughts and feelings throughout this journey to help you understand what pulls you toward the food. I firmly believe that we cannot combat what we do not understand. Best of luck to you!

Amanda

Yukon Kara,

Great book suggestions! I just looked up and purchased, The Weight Loss Surgery Coping Companion. I read the sneak peak on Amazon. I have been searching for a book that helps address the emotional side of surgery and this looks like the book! Thanks!

I went through a mourning process, too. I went through all five stages and am now at the acceptance stage.

Stage 1: Denial. Even though the rational side of my brain knew that I would never be able to eat the way I did pre-surgery, the other side did not believe that I would not be able to eat what I wanted when I wanted, just smaller quantities.

Stage 2: Anger. The "What have I done!" set in about 8 days post-op. My husband was my rock at that time and helped me get through it by reminding me why I chose to do this.

Stage 3: Bargaining. I didn't realize it at the time but looking back, I "bargained" by grazing. I would eat my small portion and as soon as I felt like I could, I would take a bite of something else (or another bite), a.k.a. grazing.

Stage 4: Depression. I was so very sad until a post here. While responding to it, I had an epiffany. My response said that I had divorced the "Fat Girl" or "Fat Lady" when the surgeon took out 85% of my stomach. I was not the same post-op as I was pre-op and I didn't want to be. But it was still hard to lose that part of me, no matter how unhappy she made me.

Stage 5: Acceptance. I am here now. That is not to say I don't occasionally feel emotions or fight behaviors from the other four stages, I just am better prepared for them and can recognize them for what they are.

It does get better. Maybe not easier but you do learn how to better deal with the emotional side of things. I hope this helps you.

Shae

Hey Ladies!! Thank you all so much for your advice! A lot of it is very sound, very good advice. I struggle with depression and bi-polar as it is so I've started my meds again and that seems to help some. My husband brought home a weightloss book so I'm reading that too. I can honestly say I'm on the way to being a happier, healthy me :-)

Shae, I have to say that your advice was some of the best advice I have ever come across. I never realized you would go thru a grieving process but it makes perfect sense. I am so glad you posted it and I'm going to make sure I read it frequently. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to give out advice. Much appreciated!

Going through this surgery is like other things. You can read EVERYTHING there is to read about it. Know EVERYTHING there is to know about it, and you still won't be fully prepared. I knew it would be a challenge, especially during the first few weeks. I went to support group meetings prior to surgery, I watched my sister go through this. As a nursing student, I took care of patients the first couple days out of this surgery. I thought I knew what to expect, and the emotions still hit me like a ton of bricks. (ESPECIALLY after a few days...) It didn't get much better until I got to where I could have something other than another *#**** Protein Drink.

I am almost three months out, and I still have an occasional day, but it is 1,000% better now than it was two months ago.

Along with the other suggestions...you may want to try writing in a journal. I have one that I keep hidden so that I know no one else will read what I really and truly think and feel. (I'm not always 100% honest with myself, especially if I think others can read what I'm writing. Same goes with talking to a therapist.) Journaling is a very therapeutic thing to do. (And one of the first things we were taught to have our patients do as a coping mechanism.)

Good luck!!!