Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Months Out From Gastric Sleeve Surgery And Knocked Up

Hello all,

I was sleeved March 15,2011 by Dr.Kelly.I started at 265lbs and by September/October I was down to 165lbs. 100lbs lost! woohoo! well, 3 weeks ago, I found I am pregnant.(about 7 weeks along now).

I've had polycystic ovarian syndrome since I was 13yrs old and have 2 children ages 18yrs and 11yrs.old.

While we did want one more child before our child-bearing years were over(I am 38yrs old and my hubby is almost 40yrs old), I have to say this was certainly a big surprise! I am ecstatic! And then again, terrified of gaining a lot of weight back that I worked so HARD to lose you know? I understand I will probably need to gain 15-25lbs but I am worried out about what that's going to be like...seeing the scale creeping up. And even though I KNOW it's for a good cause and it's really ok to gain some, I'm already somewhat freaking out. In 3 weeks I've gained 7lbs! Wut the heck??That CAN'T be right!

Now I don't plan on "dieting" while pregnant, but is it possible to lose just those few pounds I just now gained? Honestly, I don't see how I even GAINED weight already! The most calories I probably had in one was like 1800 or so. More than my usual but certainly not enough to gain so much that fast right?

Anyway, any advice out there for a prego like me? I want to gain the LEAST amount of weight possible without jeopardizing my little poppyseed (baby). thanks! Dinah

Just keep in good with pediatrician. I suspect you should not worry about losing weight at this point. You already had two children so you know the baby will take their nutrients from you, you probably can't afford to lose nutrients or weight. However, I would rely on what your doctors say.

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Hope it goes well and you both come out good. Have a safe pregnancy.

i bet you are elated and scared all at once. the weight you gained i would guess is Water weight. you know how pregos can retain water. make sure to be taking your folic acid! #1 preventitive for neuro tube defects. get a really good prenatal....dont wait to see the doc to get it. i hope that all goes wonderfully with the pregnancy....and dont worry about gaining the weight, just a good excuse to breast feed....which burns hundreds of calories just making the milk. just think of how much exercise it would take to burn those calories that you will get to burn just sitting down and relaxing while feeding the little bundle of joy. :)

good luck to you and the little peanut.

I am sure Tiffykins will weigh in here (pun intended) as she just has a baby last week! She really wrestled with the weight gain too. Don't worry! Trust your body and DON'T diet! 15-25 pounds is not enough- trust your doctor and go with his/her guidelines. CONGRATULATIONS!

I agree about the not dieting part. However, I don't think it would hurt to take walks and do a light exercise regimen.

For both of my pregnancies I was told that any exercising I was doing prior to conception was fine after conception. I was told by both of my OB/GYN's that to start a regimine after you are pregnant could potentially be harmful to the baby. With that being said, My children are 16 and 11. They (doctors) are discovering every day that things they previously thought were true are actually false. Research it on the internet and ask your doctor.

Congratulations! I too have PCOS, am 37 and do not want any more. However, if it did happen, I would be so happy!

Shae

Congrats!!!! I am sure the weight will come back off that after the pregnancy. Keep us posted on your little blessing!

Congratulations!! I am also 7 months out and found out two weeks ago that we are expecting. I am down 80lbs so far and have only gained 2. My ob/gyn wants me to gain at least 15lbs for this pregnancy. I am having problems with morning sickness and am queasy all the time. I don't know if it's because of my new tummy and the baby or if this pregnancy is just going to be different than my last two. Good luck with your pregnancy and just remember that this weightloss journey will still continue after your little bundle is here!

Congrats on your surgery and the baby. Myou did great with 100 down within 7months I wish. Sometimes I wish I had the other surgery because maybe I would have hit 100 mark or further. But I had my surgery jan. 2010, beame pregnant 6 month after had no clue, diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. I miscarriages that baby and another in dec. 2011, and now I'm pregnant again, 3 months. I am so worried about my weight gain because it is a coming, literally. Since finding out this time I have gained bout 7-10 pounds. I jus started walking with the advice of my doctor, I am trying not to gain no more than 15 more, I would cry. My blood pressure issues came back over the summer and it feels like its happening all over again, weight, medical issues. I Am excited about my baby never thought I would have any but here we are, yayyyyy!! Biggest concern is weight gain, how have you been doing with your weight gain?

Signed scared and worried ladyl99

I have PCOS, for 9 years now...and well you guys know how that goes. I have never been pregnant never used protection (hey hey with my one partner who is now my husband) but never got pregnant. My dr. was shocked when I revealed this information.

Now we are at the age that it would be nice. Im 25 going on 26 and he is 29. Everyone in our family has children and all of our friends are on the next child already.

I have to lose the weight to have a chance. So CONGRATS to you and if after I lose this weight...if I gained 30 to 40 to have a child. ID TAKE IT AND BE HAPPY. After being this weight Id take a 100 lb loss and a 40 lb gain to be 60 less and with a child.

Good Luck...keep us posted!

Please keep in mind that gaining weight and gaining fat are not the same thing. You should gain weight. You don't have to gain fat, but it's not horrible if you do. You've had kids before so you know the drill. I had my baby with my lapband. I think it would be easier with a sleeve, and I've run into several sleeved people who have had 1 or more children post-op.

any advice out there for a prego like me? I want to gain the LEAST amount of weight possible without jeopardizing my little poppyseed (baby). thanks! Dinah

Just be healthy. Exercise as long as you're able to, focus your meals on Proteins, healthy carbs, and other stuff as you can. Your OB will be able to help you, definitely make sure they know about your sleeve. When I had my band, I was so worried about being able to finish the glucose drink for gestational diabetes testing, esp. since my band did not like anything in the am. Hopefully you won't have the same problems/concerns (capacity is still an issue with both procedures).

And deep congratulations. :)

Please keep us posted! The entire reason why I am having the sleeve done is so that I can have a healthy baby. I'm about 265 right now with 100+ lbs to lose. My doctor told me that I had to wait two years, and that just seems like agony and far longer than necessary. I don't know why he wants me to wait that long. I'm anxious to see how everything goes with you! Congratulations!

So curious to know how you are! I have been at goal for a year and would like to have another baby but worried sick about what might happen to my body.