Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It NEVER fails!

Many people have remarked on the phenomenon of increased restriction just after they schedule a fill. Then they wonder if they should go for the fill anyway. It's very curious, and no one can explain it, but it's NOT your imagination, people!!

I've been completely unfilled since March, and for about two months now I've felt almost NO restriction whatsoever. I've been able to eat things I couldn't eat for the last two years, such as fresh citrus fruits and rice and Cereal. I've been putting off scheduling a fill for insurance reasons.

Well, my insurance is changing August 1 so the other day I made the call to schedule a fill in late August. I haven't even been THINKING about this but wouldn't you know it, bang, my restriction is back. I know it's just this pre-fill phenomenon; nothing has changed and I feel perfectly well. But suddenly I'm reminded all over again how FICKLE this band can be!

So, should I get the fill? :)

Late August is a while away yet, I would schedual it and wait it out. If you still feel restricted then you can always cancel several days in advance and they can use that time for an emergency. But if the restriction suddenly vanishes then you have an appointment. ~Mandy

Thanks, Mandy. I wasn't seriously thinking about cancelling the appointment unless something really changes between now and then. It's just so weird that even for people with no fill, who are WIDE open, the mere scheduling of a fill appointment creates restriction!

It's weird that you posted this just now Alexandra!

Twice now I've made an appointment for a fill adjustment and almost immediately felt a difference in restriction.

I've been struggling with esophagitis for a while now. My doctor and I discussed an unfill and decided to wait, then decided to do it, then decided to wait. Back and forth. I had just decided it was time to make the appointment to do the complete unfill and get the esophagitis completely cleared up, and just like that, the esophagitis has gone.

I'm not complaining mind you, but, it's weird isn't it? I had never heard about other people experiencing this 'phenomenon' but I'm glad to know it's not just me.

I've been sick for several weeks and made an appointment for an unfill. Within 24 hours I was able to eat most things. Weird huh? 2 days before I made the appointment I couldn't even keep down Water, I drank a glass of koolaid and it came back up so hard it came through my nose. Do you know how much orange koolaid burns through the nose? I am taking zofran and it helps but I am still queasy. Now I don't think it was by band being too tight but it was me being sick. ~Mandy

Add me to the list of pre-fill restriction people! I made the decision to get another fill (haven't had one since November, people!). Sure enough, even though I have been able to eat entire sandwiches...now I get the golfball on the first bite! I'm just gonna ignore it, go for the fill, and ask them to check how much fill is still there, and only go up .1 or .2 cc's. Hopefully, that'll work out okay.

Weird, huh?

Alexandra,

Weird, just weird. I scheduled a fill for yesterday about a week ago and a few days prior to the appt, I felt a bit of restriction. I don't know if it was that TOM coming on or what but I couldn't eat chicken or veggies without feeling uncomfortable and tight. Mind you I've never been filled before but I know the feeling of restriction due to swelling, (post operatively).

Very strange to say the least. Since I felt the restriction and lost a few pounds, I went ahead and cancelled the fill appt.

Many people have remarked on the phenomenon of increased restriction just after they schedule a fill. Then they wonder if they should go for the fill anyway. It's very curious, and no one can explain it, but it's NOT your imagination, people!!

I've been completely unfilled since March, and for about two months now I've felt almost NO restriction whatsoever. I've been able to eat things I couldn't eat for the last two years, such as fresh citrus fruits and rice and Cereal. I've been putting off scheduling a fill for insurance reasons.

Well, my insurance is changing August 1 so the other day I made the call to schedule a fill in late August. I haven't even been THINKING about this but wouldn't you know it, bang, my restriction is back. I know it's just this pre-fill phenomenon; nothing has changed and I feel perfectly well. But suddenly I'm reminded all over again how FICKLE this band can be!

So, should I get the fill? :)

"giggles" you've been here long enough to know the answer to that one. Of course you need the fill. :):) It's like a "toothache". The minute you make an appt. with the dentist it goes away!!

Even now that I am fairly restricted there are days where I cannot get anything down and then others where I feel fairly wide-open. I have learned to just work with my band instead of against it b/c its gonna do whatever it wants to anyways. My caloric intake varies from 500-1700 depending on if my band is loose or tight that particular day.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/175/160

5'7''

While I have not experienced what you described, Alexandra, I do believe there is a strong mind/body connection. I also have found that stress can be a causative factor.

I have a heart condition that results in life-threatening arrhythmias. Several times I have had to call an ambulance. It seems once I am in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, the arrhythmia subsides to a degree that I am still uncomfortable but not fearing I will die.

Interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing.

Alexandra, thanks for posting. You know I am going to see my surgeon this week and won't have access to a dr again until 2008. I have been struggling on should I get a fill, unfill, stay the same, etc.

One day I will eat too much so I think its time for a fill, the next day I can't keep anything in so I want an unfill, the next day I think I'm perfect.

What an educational experience the band is.

How's this for a theory? You have no fill, no restriction. You make an appointment and get nervous about it. Nerves have always affected my stomach. Tension = Restriction. Get a little fill and see how it goes.

Wow, no access to a doctor until 2008?? That would sure give me pause about getting a fill. In fact, if you feel any restriction at all I'd say it's good to leave it alone.

You're a brave woman. Seriously, I am so impressed. :)