Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional eating....HELLLP

Going through a divorce, having just had my surgery three months ago, without a job and broke I just want to eat the fridge. Help! I'm afraid I'm going to screw everything up!

50 pounds is a BIG DEAL! You have done AWESOME! Remember, you are doing this for you! Don't let the bad things drag you down! Get some positive things to surround yourself with...read some inspirational quotes, read the Bible, watch one of your favorite movies, go shopping (not for food), drink Water, meet with a friend to hang out. Just don't let yourself give in to the emotions. I am a HUGE emotional eater. Haven't had my surgery yet, but the psych has already told me I need to prepare a gameplan for handling myself when emotions are running amuk. I am indeed worried about that aspect of this journey. And I know it is easier for me to sit here & tell you what to do than it is for you to conquer those emotional eating habits. But, you can and you will. Look at some before pics so you can realize your progress. You can do this!

Does your plan include a therapist? If it does, or your insurance covers it in general, take advantage of it. Face to Face Support groups are really helpful too. If you can, track everything you eat and drink. Get your Protein in first. It will limit the amount of junk you can cram in.

Also, I like to plan little treats for myself. I buy myself a new lipstick, new perfume, or new hand lotion and use it when i need a little pick me up. I buy a book (less likely to eat whle reading as opposed to watching TV). Or download a new computer game. Sometimes I take out my smaller clothing, admire it and try it on. Getting out of the house for a walk or visit with a friend is good for me too.

Too bad the surgery only works on our stomachs, not our brains!

Lynda

Thanks guys. I already did the damage for today so I'm gonna just breath and tell myself "tomorrow is another day" and start again. I have not had an emotional eating day like this in forever....I am going to counceling it's group therepy and to help me with the emotional abuse of my marriage.....I just need to remember to breath and take one day at a time, not 15....

Thanks guys. I already did the damage for today so I'm gonna just breath and tell myself "tomorrow is another day" and start again. I have not had an emotional eating day like this in forever....I am going to counceling it's group therepy and to help me with the emotional abuse of my marriage.....I just need to remember to breath and take one day at a time, not 15....

good luck

Have a friend come over and help you de-junk food the house. Stock some Snacks that you can eat with no problem (Jello, pudding, yogurt, baby bell cheese). Develop a schedule for what you are going to eat when and try to stick to it as closely as possible. Develop a schedule of activities to fill your day. If you have the time and inclination - do some volunteer work for an organization you support - it distracts you from your own problems to help someone else.

I wish you the best of luck.

Try the best as you can to grab a glass of Water instead of food. Don't go grocery shopping when hungry, keep food out of the house. Do the usual affirmations in the morning.

When you get the emotional hunger, I do all the time and lose sometimes, get up and do something - I find picking up a crossword puzzle book, soduko book, browsing this website, anything to keep mind active and emotions at bay.