Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok--so I went to the bank this morning--(I live in a small town where everyone knows I had VSG) and the girls working in there start telling me that my clothes are way too baggy and that they look bad. Now, this is a little bit NSV and a little concerning. Concerning because I don't feel like I am ready for tighter clothes yet.

I have spent the last 20 years making sure that my clothes covered everything and were never tight on me--the less skin they actually touched the better. Elastic waist and VERY long shirts have been normal for me.

A friend called me the other day and told me she had a bunch of clothes for me so I went and got them and they all fit--but they are tight--not tight like they are too small--but tight like in style--I just can't see myself wearing them right now

I have went from a tight size 24 to a nice fitting 14/16 in two months so I am happy about that--I am just a little worried about when will my head catch up with my body? I keep thinking that no one will even be able to notice that I have lost weight and am surprised when someone says something about it. Just wondering how long till your mind knows you are thinner???

The age old question for us sleevers! I am six months out and still have that problem. I get glimpses and sometimes have to stop and say wow to myself! I will say this though, you need to wear clothes that fit you right, otherwise your brain won't catch up. That and it will just make you feel good about yourself. It can be daunting to change the whole YOU. Do it in small steps and you will see how good it feels to actually like what you see in the mirror. Start off slow if you need to by wearing the pants that fit with a loose top. You will have the feel of accomplishment with the new pants but the comfort of familiararity of one of your old shirts. You do not have to spend a lot of money either by going to thrift stores, you are still losing so be frugal because you will be buying a lot more clothes when you reach goal.

I had the same issue until I caught a glimpse of myself in a window and wondered who the woman wearing the huge shirt was--and it was me. It made me look 30 lbs heavier than I am. I came home, went through my closet, and donated all the XL tops. I still have some big clothes but I am getting much better about realizing that excess fabric hanging off me (no matter where, pants or shirts) just makes me look bigger. Now I look trim when I pass the mirror. If I am feeling a little exposed I put on another layer but nothing baggy.

At going on 10 months out, it's about 50/50 for me. Some days I get a glimpse of myself and think "hey not bad" and some days I look at myself and groan. What's funny is I'm now at about the weight I was when I graduated high school and I was pretty hot back then. I don't know where the mental disconnect is coming from. Maybe it's that I don't feel "skinny" because of all this extra skin? Who knows.

However, I *am* wanting to dress better and totally shunning my "Bag Lady Couture" I've been wearing for the last 10 years lol. All of my ginormous tee shirts don't ever see the light of day anymore. I've got a ton of tees from Disney World & Big Dogs that I really don't want to get rid of so needless to say I've got a drawer stuffed full of night shirts. I'm very self conscious about tight things around my stomach & arms so when I do make that rare shopping trip for this or that, I make sure everything fits but also scrutinize in the mirror to make sure I feel comfortable in it.

You know, I think the more you get used to seeing yourself looking great in the mirror, the easier your head catches up. Like a couple of weeks ago. I went to Target and bought a new bra & shirt because dh & i were going out to eat and I wanted to look pretty. After I saw myself in the mirror and had a "Hey you look HOT!" moment with myself, that floated me the rest of the week as far as the feeling good and seeing myself as "thin". LOL It also helped that when I got to the restaurant and went to sit at the bar to wait for DH, the bartenders were falling over each other to come take my order. Do what you need to do for your own ego boosts. We've all earned them. :biggrin2:

OH MY GOSH! I am in the EXACT same spot. My head somehow still sees the exact same thing when I look in the mirror. I know that I have lost 74 pounds because the scale and pant size/shirt size say so but why can't I FEEL that much lighter???

Couldn't have said it better myself. Here's to hoping that we both can enjoy our weight loss soon!

Kim-

Hello All...

I'm shocking my system of thinking. I went shopping yesterday. As usual I went to my old size 24, 3-4x. They looked HUGE.. I went to size 22 again too big. Size 20..... Not to big but too big for me; Size 18.. I shook my head. No way! Picked out a 16/18 and it fit. I almost passed out. My fat tummy is now a chubby tummy, my legs are now shapely. All the excess weight is falling off like melting butter. I got a few dresses, blouses and bottoms that fit nicely. As far as my old stuff, some are never going to work they are OUT, some will be altered and some will be donated to a women's shelter. I stare @ my feet and think, these are not my feet. I started this 5 months ago pre-surgery at 285. Back pain, very tired, out of breath. As of yesterday I'm down 57 lbs.It is a shocker, a size 18, WHOA... Onederland here I come and I cant wait..... Enjoy the skinny new you. I'm so happy for us all. Praise God... this is hard. I know I cant make it without Him.

I can hardly wait!!!! OMG!!!! My clothes are getting larger... just very slowly!!!

I finally broke down and bought a pair of jeans . . . 16W and they FIT! I was wearing a pair of 20s I found in my closet . . . they fit OK but were getting really baggy. The 24s I had? Falling off me.

I wore the new jeans to work today and no less than 15 people told me how good I looked and how skinny I was getting. It's amazing how clothes that fit can make such a difference!

Take pictures of your self in your old baggy clothes and take some in the new "tighter" ones. Compare them. It may help you see how FABULOUS the new you is!

I only hope I can take my own advice if and when the baggy clothes syndrome hits me...