Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really take time to check out who your doctor is

Hi Everyone

When I had WLS, I wanted the very best I could find. There are a lot of good doctors in Mexico, but I wanted the best. I also learned that in the USA I would not receive the quality of care I received from Dr. Aceves and his staff in Mexicali. I also wanted a hospital that met all my needs and had a low infection rate. Dr. Aceves and his staff and hospital met all these needs. My health and the rest of my life were the most important thing I was looking for. I had a very successful WLS and recovery and when I got home I had all the right tools I needed to become healthy and reach my goal. 14 months later I lost 105 pounds and have maintained my weight loss 3 years later. Take the time to really know everything about the Doctor you are considering. Look at all the things people are saying about Dr. Aceves.....................

Please DO NOT be fooled by another doctor is offering you this surgery for less money. There are a lot of reason's why he charges less. You want QUALITY care, the best supplies, and the RIGHT place to do your rcovery. This is the ONE and ONLY time in your life I do NOT want you to "price shop". Most of the time you get what you pay for!!

This is just what happend to this person. Please read it and if you are considering WLS pay attention to what she went through. PLEASE READ IT.

I had my surgery at the INT hospital in Tijuana, chips the day after surgery, and tea and apple juice later that same day. The next day they didn't serve me anything. I went out to the nurses station to ask why, and if I could get something. Was told by the nursing staff that I wasn't allowed to eat anything. When I stated I had ice chips, juice and tea the day before the nurse said "WHO gave it to you?" I don't know if it was language problem or what, but the surgeon had JUST told me I could have all the liquids I wanted. Minor frustration.

5.) Very minor, but wireless internet was supposed to be available, and it was very erratic, some times working, some times not.

6.) Was supposed to get a copy of the operative report prior to discharge from the hospital, but still have not received it. Coordinator told me she would email to me, but still haven't received it. Maybe will come later today or tomorrow. Again, very minor.

7.) All in all, most of the experience was good. But I have major concerns about numbers 1,2 and 3. Would think twice before I went back there. Luckily I am a nurse, and could watch out for myself, as I knew what was what (and I told my husband not to let them give me any blood or blood products!)

Hi,

I am sure you received good care in the USA. I did find after doing my reasearch on the CDC web site that the USA hospitals had a higher rate of infection rates. And for many people they are self pay--so Mexico is an option for them. 3 years ago Inusrance was NOT paying for too many WLS. I am excited to see that they are now. I can only speak about my own experience. I do know that Dr. Aceves is rated in the top 25 WL suregons in the world. So for me that was something I was looking for.

I wish you great success in your WLS,

Suzanne

I also had Dr. Kelly and my experience was excellent. I would like to say the following about price shopping and I mean it with complete respect for everyone. A lot of people say that THIS IS NO TIME TO PRICE SHOP!!!!!! But the very fact that you are going to Mexico says that you are price shopping to some degree, or that you cannot get the surgery where you live. I believe in the saying that 'You get what you pay for' But I also believe that if you do your research you will be well informed to make the best decision for yourself. I was originally going to go to Dr. Aceves because he has a fantastic reputation and I respect all that is said about him... but the truth is, I had to take out money from my retirement plan to have the surgery... and after a LOT of research I was more than comfortable to have surgery with Dr. Kelly. There is more than one reason why a surgeon charges more than another and I just think it is fair of me to post about this. :) Even in the U.S there are price differences between surgeons for various procedures... you just have to do what is best for you.

Best of luck to everyone who does this!!!!

Hi,

The things I found when I was researching where I was going to go in Mexico was that Dr. Aceves's Hospital had LESS of an infection rate than any US hospital or any of them in Mexico. Yes, I went to Mexico but I had the money to go to any US hospital too. So that is why I say it is NOT a time to price shop. For me I wanted the very best I could find and I was willing to pay for the security I was going to have for good health and the top of the line when it came to a WL suregon. It was my choice because I know for a fact that the care I received from Dr. Aceves was far better than I would have EVER received in the US.

I can only speak about my care tht I received. I do hear good things about Dr. Kelly, but I only can speak about my surgery and the care I received.

I do understand and hear when you talk about taking the money from your retirement fund. Good luck.

Suzanne.

I too could have went to a doctor here in my hometown, unfortunately none of the doctor's here were experienced in band to sleeve revisions and this was the procedure I needed to have. I went to Dr. Aceves because of his experience, not because of the cost. I was very happy with the care I received. The whole experience was amazing from beginning to end. I feel great and was very happy with my choice of surgeon.

For some of us who are self pay, we are desperate and cannot afford to go to more expensive Dr. I would love to go to Aceves but the price I was quoted was 12,500 for a revision from a stomach staple to VSG. I don't have 12 grand! If you have the money that is great, but I don't and I'm tired of being fat! I've gone through this for too many years dealing with insurance companies. I was able to get my stomach staped in an experimental procedure that did not work. My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery for any reason. I'm stretching myself thin as it is to gather up the $5k I have to pay for Almanza. So while I appreciate your point of view, you just have to understand that for some of us we are going to do what we have to do, and unfortunately that means taking this risk.

I was going to say that if you're price shopping, Dr. Aceves isn't exactly the cheapest Mexican surgeon. He's just the best one!

I could have chosen to have surgery anywhere in the world. I'm lucky enough to have great credit, and my bank was willing to grant me an unsecured loan up to $20K.

I was living in Germany and couldn't find a doctor experienced enough with sleeves to do it there (where it would have cost a fortune in euros vs. dollars for self pay), or I would have had it done in Germany and saved myself the two days of travel back and forth.

I chose Dr. Aceves after carefully researching three other stateside doctors, all of them good, all of them experienced and all of them good choices. But as someone self-paying and flying 11 hours to do this, I wanted the BEST care, with the longest possible hospital stay. Dr. Aceves fit the bill and I cannot complain at all.

I urge everyone, regardless of where you're having surgery done, to DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Do not assume that just because your doctor is American that he/she is automatically a great choice. Review statistics, look up as many reviews/recommends as you can. Do the leg work. This is your LIFE on the line if you choose an inexperienced doctor. And sometimes, sh*t happens and even an experienced doctor can have a leak and you can suffer complications. It's a hazard of choosing a serious surgery. So do your leg work and be prepared.

Finally, I would like to comment on the notes about Dr. Rodriguez. While I do not discount that this person had legitimate reasons to be concerned, I'd say that when you choose to go to a hospital out of America you can't be upset if they're not 100% to American standards. This issue is on the patient for not researching adequately, though I do appreciate that she shared her experience for everyone else. Word of mouth is very important. If she had an allergy this could have been a fatal operation.

I have had two operations and countless medical appointments outside of America and can honestly say that even top notch care in another country can seem outdated or not as safe to us because we're so incredibly used to American care. I was amazed to see old school glass bottles and plastic tubing were going to be my IV when I was in Kyiv for a procedure, but they broke out clean, sterilized tubing and a sterile needle without my mentioning anything so I felt comfortable. Sometimes you have to go with the flow, but above all, try to be prepared.

~Cheri