Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fried Foods

I had a band to sleeve revision done on 10/12/11. I was successful with the band, however like a lot of folks who had made the switch I began to experience complications around the 5 year mark.

I have been reading as much as I can on ways to maintain my relatively healthy way of eating with the sleeve. There is a wealth of information here and I thank you all on sharing your experiences.

There are those rare occasions however that I just want a good piece of fried chicken or beer batter fish, but I have read that there are many people who can no longer tolerate ANY fried foods post sleeve because it causes "dumping syndrome" or other unpleasant reactions.

Can you share your experiences. Is this going to be a no- no food forever?

Thanks!

I have had a band to sleeve revision, too. I can tolerate small amounts of fried foods. In general, I just don't want them because they make me feel horrible. Every now and then, I get a craving for something and so I may have a bite of something fried. For instance, I will eat one or two of my son's fries. I get satisfied off of a very small amount. Certain foods do make me sick though. Fried tortilla chips make me feel like throwing up and I used to be able to eat an entire basket of chips by myself. Some people can eat fried foods with no issues, so you will just have to try and see if you can.

Hi, I too LOVE fried, crispy food. I found a website called Hungry-Girl.com. This woman has the most amazing recipes! Check out her recipes for faux frying. Don't balk at the fact that she uses All-Bran, it is delicious and you won't miss the fat. Some things I actually like better than the fried version, such as zucchini sticks and eggplant parmesan. Her other recipes are equally delicious, some ingredients may be things that you think you won't like, certain veggies for example, but you need to have an open mind.

The only thing on her site, so far, that I don't like are Shirataki noodles, can't get past the dead fish smell!! YUCK :arf:

I have even found some of her recipes that are so similar, in taste, to some of my classic Thanksgiving recipes, that I am going to serve them and not tell anyone that they are healthified.

Have you heard of the Phillips Air Fryer? I understand that it fries foods with the minimum amout of oil. Why don't you give that a try. Also, unlike RNY, sleeve does not cause dumping. Good luck^_^

i never was a fried food kinda person. i always baked or grilled my food. i did eat french fries and potato chips tho.

i have since surgery had chicken strips that were fried, a few french fries here and there and potato chips.

no real issues, but then again, i am one of the ones that do not have issues with sugar either. some get really sick from high does of sugar and i have not had that problem. kinda wish it did, so i wouldn't want to eat chocolate!!

Kelly

I have had a few things here & there but really don't seem to have much of a taste for fried foods anymore. Usually one or two fries (or a few tortilla chips) satisfies me.

Thanks you all for sharing your experiences and ideas. It's nice to know that a few bites here and there seems to satisfy most peoples and some lose their taste for it altogether.

I will definetly check out Hungry-Girl.com.

I love to cook and try new recipes so I will keep an open mind Debsii :)

LaurenKorea-Do you use a Phillips Air Fryer? I love the concept of having the "fried" taste without the "fried" fat and grease.

I have read on these posts that some sleevers have experience the symptoms of dumping syndrome if they eat to much sugar or fat. Their experiences sounded aweful!

Thanks again!

I have never personally tried but reliable sources tell me that it's worth the money. It is quite expensive.^^

Yes, they may seem like dumping syndrome but they actually are not. Anyway, rest assured , everyting gets better with time. I craved all kinds of food in the beginning but now I do not. We shall see if you still love fried foods months from now. Good luck on your journey.