Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A round of Applause

I had my surgery on September 23 in Puerta Vallarta Mexico and haven't posted a real post-op summary yet. But A. I wanted to now and B. I love reading everyone's posts as they anticipate their surgery. I wish I could think of the magic words of comfort to let everyone know it will be okay.... to think of the words I would have liked to hear going in.

I haven't thought of the words yet but these are my 5 week post-op thoughts...

For all of us, who have been so resourceful as to recognize the possibility of weight loss surgery. And to educate ourselves enough to identify VSG as the most effective, and then on top of that to track down Mexico as they most affordable option when we don't have the support of an insurance company... I just think we all deserve a big pat on the back/round of applause for being so smart, and strong and resourceful.

I can't imagine there is a way to go in to the surgery without some fear and anxiety. But, enough pioneers have gone before us now that we have to know-- any concern we can think of-- we are not the first to have it. One of my biggest ones was 'Am I crazy to do this?' (particularly the going to Mexico part) The answer is 'no'. When you balance the stories of success with the very difficult to find frustrations. Our judgement is sound.

As long as you have been dilligent enough to ensure your surgeon has the experience and track record of success that we all require-- you have every reason to believe things will be okay.

Some of the most universal post- Mexico thoughts I have found...

1. You will be surprised by how nice (though small) the hospital is

2. You will be impressed with how kind and understanding your surgeon is (mine brought me flowers the day after surgery)... this is BIG business for them and as long as they have the technical skills-- unlike US doctors, they are highly motivated to get you to go home and rave about the experience.

3. You will wish you knew more Spanish when interacting with the nurses after surgery (but we are all pretty much asking about the same 4 things... pain, sleep, bathroom, drinks... so they figure it out... you migh want to get a few key phrases related to those things memorized before you go)

4. You will remember you always have to be your own advocate but, they are thinking about the same things you are... getting you to and from the hospital, taking you to a pharmacy to get your post-op prescriptions filled (just wait till you see how cheap they are), getting you back to the airport in safe flying condition.

5. You will realize its actually pretty easy to get in touch with the surgeon direclty pre or post surgery as many of them seem to make themselves available via cell phone (can you imagine a US Surgeon giving you their direct cell number)

6. You will learn that to Doctors in Mexico have actually been doing VSG a lot longer and more frequently than the US surgeons and have many more surgeries under their belt)

Unlike my understanding of the US experience though-- I do think you should be prepared to educate yourself on recomended post-surgery diet. Possibly enrolling yourself in a program or with a nutritionist that will help you manage your post-op nutrition (no Doctor check-ups), Having a doctor in mind to remove any stitches after surgery (I'm sure some use disolvable but I had stiches to remove 10 days after I got home)... (oh, and the Doctor I went to at home--- very young-- didn't recognize the type of stitch so she had to call a back-up Doctor to figure out how to remove--- a little worrisome but ultimately easily solved), and boards like this are that much more valuable because you will have questions about how you feel along the way as you heal (last week I had a resurgence of pain 3 weeks after surgery and was able to figure out that it was that acid reflux they warn you about... renewing my commitment to taking the prilosec they sent me home with has solved the problem)

All in all in addition to feeling the thrill of 'the losers bench', I feel brave and proud to have done this... and right or wrong-- a little bit smarter than all the people that navigate their insurance and testing and doctor schedules for 6 months+ to get to their surgery date in the US.

Oh, one more thing-- again-- good or bad...by doing the surgery in Mexico-- you will miss out on 90% of the pre-op tests they do in the US so, if you have reason to believe the stress test, psychological testing, nutrition analysis, pre-op diet, etc. are an important part of your pre-op plan (which they may well be)... you will not get that in Mexico.

I had no pre-op diet, 1 blood draw- the day before surgery in Mexico, 1 shot to prevent blood clots- the day before surgery, and never got on a scale or anything else as part of the pre-op process (I kinda wish I had now so that I knew how much I had lost from day 1... I'm down 15 pounds starting with my weight 10 days after surgery).

Anyway, take care of yourself, and good luck but, I don't think you'll need it.... they know what they're doing.

Thank you so much. Very informative! Best wishes to you.