Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will my hair loss slow down?

Mine started at about the 4th month/65 lb loss mark. It was devasting no matter how much I thought I was prepared for it. I can tell the difference in my pony tail, however not any other styles.

It has slowed WAY down in the last month-feels more like normal shedding now. I'm in my 8th month post-op and have been slowly losing the lbs this last 2 months. I have read that when you stop losing weight the hair loss will stop. I am finding this pretty accurate even though I still have a ways to go.

No matter what, this is a way better alternative to being overweight. ;o) It'll pass and the hair will grow back!

Just a question. I have prepared myself for the hair loss, but is it bad enough to cause bald spots? I can handle it thinning out, but the idea of bald spots causes anxiety. Just wondering...

It depends on the thickness of your hair. I have seen people in our WLS support group with thin hair to begin with having bald spots.

My hair was REALLY thick. Enough so that I could not layer my hair because it just looked like a mushroom. My hair is so thin now. I have one area on the back of my head, that is quite bare. I had dh look at it the other day and he said it just looks like my part goes straight back to that area. It was not like that before.

As much as we try to prepare ourselves, there is just no preparing for this until you experience it. I try not to let it bother me but my hair is still falling out in large amounts and I am almost 8 1/2 months out and I've lost all my excess weight and then some. If I lose now it is a very slow gradual loss. It has been falling out for 6 months now *sniff* I can only wash my hair twice a week now because washing makes it so much worse. I don't even brush my hair every day because of the amount that comes out. If I run my hands through my hair I get way more than I like to admit. It sucks big time.

I am only 3 weeks post op and I can eat anything I want to. I advanced my diet against my Dr orders (please don't gripe at me). I never experienced any nausea or vomiting. I have always had a tough stomach and I chose to try a few things during the full liquids at 2 weeks, and they went down fine, so I went totally to real foods and it's been fine for me. I wish I had had nausea and other symptoms to make me not want to eat but I was dying for real food. I definitely feel restriction after 2-3 ounces and sometimes after just a few bites. I do have a taste change going on.

I lost 3 lbs on a 1 week pre-op diet and I have lost 15 lbs post-op but I am already experiencing hair loss pretty heavily.

I am getting 40-60 grams of Protein each day for sure - I have been since the surgery by drinking Protein Shots - and now I am eating 2-3 oz of real food Proteins every 3-4 hours (fish, chicken, tuna, brisket, beef Jerky, eggs, Beans, cheese, milk, pudding etc ) -plus Protein supplement drinks too.

I am taking a liquid multi vitmain and Calcium daily -even more than is required.

Liquids/water- I get atleast 32 oz every day and closer to 64 on most days.

The only thing different on this diet is I am not eating much fruit or veggies at all.

When I dieted in the past on my own I did not loose hair.< /p>

Does anyone know the scientific reason why the sleeve makes you loose hair?

If it is from lack of Vitamins that come from fruits and veggies why isnt my liquid Vitamin stopping it???

I am going to increase my protein by +40g a day and see if that fixes it. (using protein shots ) But that adds more calories too!! UGH.

Typically it slows down when the rapid weight loss slows down about 6-8 months. I was lucky in that I lost very little I took Biotin from about 3 weeks before surgery and am still taking it. I also swear by Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner system 4 "for noticeably thinning hair" I also took a B complex.

I can't agree with this. I have had plenty of procedures requiring anesthesia and never once did it cause hair loss.

Hi Tiffany,

My hairdresser said the Hair loss is also due to anesthesia. If that's the case, there's really nothing we can do about it. My loss has slowed down some and I'm thankful for that :smile1:

Debbie

I am going on 6 months...I lost 100 lbs in 5 months...the Hair loss started at about 4 months and is at its worst now. I have two friends that had their surgery 3 months before me and they told me that months 4-7 were the worst and then it starts growing back. I sure hope so, my hair was fine to begin with...but I had a lot of hair. I am wearing it braided most of the time to avoid having to brush it so much. Small price to pay for the life I have today versus 100 lbs ago. If I have to get a wig then I will....I am just so thankful to have my health and my life back.

It is not the procedure itself that causes hair loss. It is the drastic change in diet, and in the earlier months you are likely to not get in enough of the regular foods that would have a more balanced diet.

Anytime I did Atkins before, I would also have Hair loss, but it was never permanent. Just try to keep up with your Vitamins and know that it will not be be permanent.

Does anyone know the scientific reason why the sleeve makes you loose hair?

If it is from lack of Vitamins that come from fruits and veggies why isnt my liquid Vitamin stopping it???

I am going to increase my Protein by +40g a day and see if that fixes it. (using Protein Shots ) But that adds more calories too!! UGH.

If there is one good thing about being a slow loser let it be that my hair stays where it is!!! It is a lifelong joke that I can actually count the amount of hairs I have.. if they start falling out I'm going to look like I am going through chemotherapy.

hair extensions are VERY hard on your hair. If anything, I think it would only make things worse really. It might hide thinning hair, but in the process possibly do permanent damage to your scalp. They have been doing reports on this and showing the consequences people pay when they get hair extensions. It seems they are recommending hair extensions only be for a temporary thing, like for an event (wedding, graduation or some other major thing). Then, have them removed.

Do some googling and I think you will come across the same articles on this.

OK, so I think I know the answer to this, but do you think hair extensions before you start losing your hair would stress it more? I'm just thinking if my hair was a lot fuller, then the Hair loss might not be as noticeable? Has anyone tried this?

hair extensions are VERY hard on your hair. If anything, I think it would only make things worse really. It might hide thinning hair, but in the process possibly do permanent damage to your scalp. They have been doing reports on this and showing the consequences people pay when they get hair extensions. It seems they are recommending hair extensions only be for a temporary thing, like for an event (wedding, graduation or some other major thing). Then, have them removed.

Do some googling and I think you will come across the same articles on this.

I agree, it would be far too rough on the hair. I went from washing daily to only being able to wash twice a week. I only style it, and use no products either on those days too, I generally try to let it air dry and go from there. Brushing has proven hard on my hair now and thankfully I can get away without brushing it daily. Even putting it in a ponytail makes a ton of hair come out. Nevermind using hair dye :( I've done that twice in the last 8 months, once was a few days ago and I lost a ton of hair with it. I use the temporary colors that never caused an issue before surgery. If your hair is already thin, I suggest just getting a wig once it starts falling :(

I have a question... I know the doctor says increase Protein.. and everyone says Biotin, Vitamins etc... but what about fat in our diet...???? Fat is something we are ALL trying our best to cut out,and really are not eating much of....what if we added a small amount of fat? someone who is knowledgeable please post a reply to this!

Rhonda

I think lots of folks here focus on the carb count more than calories. So, for example, hamburger can be real fatty depending on what grade you buy- but it doesn't affect the carb count, only your pocket book when you buy the leaner stuff.

For me personally, I have fat in my diet because I focus soley on carbs, nothing on calories. I try to eliminate sugars and processed foods from my diet all together. I don't know that fat does or doesn't contribute to hair loss, but like most things they say--- moderation. :biggrin:

I have a question... I know the doctor says increase Protein.. and everyone says Biotin, Vitamins etc... but what about fat in our diet...???? Fat is something we are ALL trying our best to cut out,and really are not eating much of....what if we added a small amount of fat? someone who is knowledgeable please post a reply to this!

Rhonda

PreOp, I was prescribed 2500mg of Biotin, a Rogaine type of product and Adactatone to help with Hair loss from PCOS. I'm 8 weeks post op and just now starting back on the products. I hope it slows down the hair loss. My bathroom is a hairy mess.