Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm out of control...

I have a BMI of 30 and am currently trying to get approved to go down to Mexico for vsg. I am so excited, I want this so bad! However, I am completely out of control with my eating. All day long all night long. I'm also drinking too much. Anyone else have this experience? I feel disgusting, but I can't stop.

Others can chime in on this as well, but I suspect you are going through what many of us have. They refer to it as "food funerals". Where it's a combination of eating all the "good" stuff you think you won't be able to eat once you have surgery and maybe some justification that you can eat whatever you want right now cuz your gonna have surgery and it will come off anyways.

Not saying anyone will tell you it's recommended- but lots of us have gone through it. I did the same thing. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I actually gained about 30# in a 4 mth period leading up to surgery. Partly because the original surgeon I was supposed to go with was found out to be engaged in insurance fraud 2 weeks before surgery and so I had to find a new surgeon. I didn't have to do the 6 mth supervised diet, so I got away with it. Do I wish I hadn't? Sure, but it is what it is. Just do your best to control it. Personally, the more I obsessed over what I couldn't eat prior to surgery, the worse it was.

Good luck with your surgery!

It just feels so premature for me to be behaving this way, since I haven't even been approved. Maybe I'm trying to guarantee a higher BMI so I qualify? It seems more justifiable if my surgery was scheduled, or just around the corner!

I did that, after my seminar. My BMI was 35, and not intentionally I ate myself to a BMI of 39. WOWZER! It was liberating. It was only the second time in my life where I could eat what I want and not diet. The other time being when I was pregnant and gained a whopping 80 pounds.

Everybody reacts to things differently. I say enjoy it, but not too much. Try to limit yourself to one "treat" a day. You may find once you get approved they will tell you not to gain any weight so you may be cut off and under control at that point. Don't worry though you will be fine.

One thing though all the weight you are gaining you will eventually have to lose again.

Good Luck and keep us posted about your approval.

I soooo know what you are saying. I am just barely at 30bmi and have scheduled surgery on the 3rd of Nov. I am worried that I might fall below 30 BMI and disqualify. So, I have eaten like a trojan lately. Laid off the wine due to liver thing that every one talks about. I am struggling with the finality of this and mourning my social eating--already. I am 5'6 and close to 188lbs. But, I carry my weight well, although I hate the way I look. I have always been skinny, but have been losing this weight battle for years, gradually adding ten pounds every year. It is getting to a point where I do not want to see any of my old friends, the ones who knew the skinny me, because I know what they must be thinking. So, I am self paying in Mexico. Scared and excited.

I'm currently going through the same thing,,I have yo yo'd for the past 10 months. food funerals..last suppers..I have put on 20 extra pounds I'm going to have to lose. My ticker doesn't even reflect what I weigh now so I don't keep up with it anymore. I have good days and bad. I have asked the same questions on here as to why I'm doing this because I feel so out of control.

I soooo know what you are saying. I am just barely at 30bmi and have scheduled surgery on the 3rd of Nov. I am worried that I might fall below 30 BMI and disqualify. So, I have eaten like a trojan lately. Laid off the wine due to liver thing that every one talks about. I am struggling with the finality of this and mourning my social eating--already. I am 5'6 and close to 188lbs. But, I carry my weight well, although I hate the way I look. I have always been skinny, but have been losing this weight battle for years, gradually adding ten pounds every year. It is getting to a point where I do not want to see any of my old friends, the ones who knew the skinny me, because I know what they must be thinking. So, I am self paying in Mexico. Scared and excited.

haha ok, please explain the liver thing?

crazy, we're pretty much jn the same boat!

The enlarged-fatty liver. I believe alcohol can enlarge your liver, so I am laying off. High bmi people also have enlarged liver due to high percent of body fat. Since my bmi was low, I had no preop diet, but have weened myself off of diet cokes, coffee, and wine. All my vices. What size are you now? I am a 12. But I am most comfortable in a six. Most people don't think of me as fat, but I am not doing this for anyone but me and I am use to being thin. Let me add that I also have BAD sleep apnea. It has become awful lately. I am hoping a weight loss will help it. Are you self paying? And where are you looking at doing your surgery?

My surgery isn't until January and I am trying so hard to avoid doing this! I wish I was getting it done sooner for that reason. I just don't want to be stuck with more weight to lose. It will be difficult over the holidays. :(

Your liver sits on top of your stomach, and most doctors have you go on a special diet before your surgery to "shrink" your liver. This gets it out of the way as much as possible for your surgery.

For my pre-surgery diet, I had to avoid carbs and sugars and alcohol. It was also high in Protein. Some surgeons have you do a completely liquid diet pre-op, but I was able to eat all the veggies I wanted, which was wonderful. It made the pre-op diet so much nicer.

Reason to NOT eat this way Pre Surgery:

1. You WILL be able to eat all of your favorite foods once again someday. Thinking about this as an all or nothing type thing is just going to get you into a lot of trouble.
  2. Any weight you lose pre-surgery will get you that much closer to your goal post-surgery. In contrast, the more you gain, the more you will need to lose.
  3. Preparing yourself for your surgery isn't just physical but is mostly mental. Give yourself a fighting chance by changing your habits now. It is VERY tough post surgery. You will wish you had worked on these issues down the line.
  4. You are what you eat. This surgery is a serious one, and you will want to be in the operating room as healthy as you can be. Don't sabotage that by feeding your body the worst possible foods.
  5. You are WORTH NOT DOING THIS. Treat yourself better. You've already decided to do this by having this surgery. Live it.

This is not related to the topic but I didn't know where to ask about it. Where/how do I get that cute weightloss tracker that is listed on your posts? I have vsg on Wednesday and i'd like to track my loss that way. I have already lost 6 lbs on the preop liquid diet. Thanks for ur help

Out of control...are you kidding me...I was the poster child for out of control and boy did I have a food funeral...but when the surgery prep diet started (10 days for me), I was able to flip the switch and get serious. I guess because I was not in denial, I know what I was doing, I had all my liquid diet stuff ready to go at the house BEFORE my diet started so I could jump into it with no distractions of going to the store and figuring out what I was going to eat...be prepared!!

surgery date Oct 12, 2011

weight.png

The enlarged-fatty liver. I believe alcohol can enlarge your liver, so I am laying off. High bmi people also have enlarged liver due to high percent of body fat. Since my bmi was low, I had no preop diet, but have weened myself off of diet cokes, coffee, and wine. All my vices. What size are you now? I am a 12. But I am most comfortable in a six. Most people don't think of me as fat, but I am not doing this for anyone but me and I am use to being thin. Let me add that I also have BAD sleep apnea. It has become awful lately. I am hoping a weight loss will help it. Are you self paying? And where are you looking at doing your surgery?

Thanks for the advice!

Like you, right now I fluctuate between a tight 10 and a 12. Its so frustrating, from all my losing and gaining (my whole life) I have everything from a size 4-12 in my closet. I'm all over the place week to week, month to month. I also carry my weight really well, people would never really guess I'm obese, just overweight. I'm the second highest I've ever been right now at 183 lbs. I was 205 when I was a child.

I am self paying, going through a company in Canada called Weight Loss Forever. They use Dr Pompa in TJ at the LIMARP Centre. My dad and aunt have both had this done with amazing results and life changes. I can't wait for my turn!

Who are you going through?

Dr Aceves in Mexcali. UUgghh, I leave tomorrow--by myself!!! Surgery Nov. 3rd. I am excited about getting back to my old self. As long as I can get through without any complications. That is my only concern. I am pretty healthy other than sleep apnea. I have always have had weird sleep patterns, but have gotten worse with weight. Are you also around 5'6? I was sooo thin as a kid and all the way to my 30's. Essentially could eat anything i wanted. I never had to diet, and was so use to eating whatever then the metabolism went south. Needless to say, I have had no luck dieting. now my knees hurt so bad that running is out of the question. But as soon as this weight comes off, i am going to start again and work out with weights. I want to be toned---no---ripped!!! LOL