Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Trouble....

Ok so I am about a week and a half out my family has never been the cooking type they always go out to dinner. At first I was doing good cause I was on Clear Liquids so I was just staying home but now that I'm on to full liquids I can have Soups, so I have ventured out a time or two and I find myself wanting all the food that they have and I am not even hungery! I think part of me is worried that I can't ever eat that again but I know that isn't true. I found myself in tears tonight because I couldn't eat long john silvers and I wasn't hungery! It just smelled so good! You would think I would be happy I've lost 13lbs since my surgery nine days ago!

the dreaded HEAD HUNGRIES I have found this to be the biggest huddle for me. Not physical hungry but head thinks your are hungry or you want to eat to be social or in the group. All i can say is, Protein. get more protein and drink fluids like crazy they help me also have a support person you can call during those moments that will remind you of the head hungreries and help you through the moment. Don't be discouraged. We all have to learn how to conquer this evil within us and deal with food for what it really is, nutritents not comfort, not stress relief, not make me feel better, it is only to fuel the body and finding other things to take its place for comfort, stress, etc is a longer road than losing weight. You have the tool here on VST to help you and the support of thousands. You are not alone and we will help you to overcome. Keep us posted on your progress and you will be victorious!!!!!!!

Yep this is the hard stuff you have to deal with now so that you will be on track to maintain weight loss long into the furture. Mtngal is SO right! You must learn to look at food differently because one day you may feel hunger again. You want to begin seeing it only as nutrition. You may also want to avoid resturants for a while longer...remember this is only temporary you will be able to go back to all those places and make great food choices and enjoy your family time again.

It's definitely difficult during the liquid stages, but it gets easier when you move to solids. Even without hunger, we still MISS eating food, it does sound weird, but eating was a big part of our lives, socializing, and entertainment. It's completely understandable that you're feeling this way. It gets better as you adjust to it too. Hang in there!

:)

Thanks guys! I'm trying and I see the dr on Tuesday hopefully I'll get the green light for soft foods and I won't feel so bad. :)

I had the hardest time in the beginning watching people eat. It was hard for me to watch people getting so much pleasure from food. I missed eating! But, that got MUCH easier when I could eat food, I would say at 6 weeks I was happy and fully adjusted to my sleeve life. I had a really hard time until I could eat a regular foods. Now I rarely have a problem watching other people enjoy foods I can't eat. I am satisfied with the food I can eat. Good luck to you!

Chances are at this stage your solid foods will be mushy - apple sauce, mashed potatoes, anything blended (my dietician said one person put a bacon cheeseburger into a blender), things that can be mashed with a fork like peas, yogurt, cottage cheese.

Be careful transitioning - you really should avoid fried/battered food like LJS - the battering is just hollow calories and you get less Protein when you eat stuff like that because it fills your limited stomach space.