Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been seriously considering getting a personal trainer for after surgery. For those of you that have one, I have a few questions:

1. Has it been beneficial to you and why?

2. Do you HAVE to be a member of a gym or is there a way around that?

3. How much is average cost?

4. Should I try to find someone familiar with training after bariatric surgery or will anyone due?

Thanks in advance!!! :)

I invested in a personal trainer($300/mo) just because I was not familiar with all the equipment in the gym and it gave me the accountability to be there. Since I was already a member of the gym previously I never checked into any trainers outside of the gym I use. I think working with her has helped me tremendously. I do challenge myself but when I start to slack her encouragement is what pushes me to keep going. I did make sure she was aware of my surgery and my calories intake but she does not have a full understanding of the surgery. This has not been an issue. The best part of working with her is that she is always coming up with new and interesting ways to torture I mean work me out. Also we do weigh and measure every 6 weeks which gives me the small goals that keep me motivated to keep going. Good luck.

I found a personal trainer who runs her training out of her house. It's wayyy cheaper. I split a 45 minute session with my friend and it's only $20 a session. She knows I had surgery but doesn't specialize in bariatrics. I'm her only client who had surgery. It beneficial because you have an appoinment, have to keep it and can't slack off. I have been going every week since even before surgery and I still have a new sore muscle every time!!

I just started with a certified personal trainer recently, I will keep you posted on the results. I would tell them everything about your situation including the surgery and nutrition. They need this information to build a specific program for you so it will be successful and safe for your health. I waited for months post-op before hiring a trainer, I worked out on my own at the gym to build stamina and to lose most of my excess weight. I go to the gym 5 times a week and work with the trainer twice a week in 1 hour sessions. He charges 25.00 a session.

People hire personal trainers for different reasons, some for motivation and discipline, some for education. I do not need the motivation, I had my surgery for health and medical reasons and I am 30 lbs from my goal, that is my motivation. I hired a trainer at this stage to make sure I am getting the most benefit of my time at the gym at this stage of my weight-loss. My priority is the last 30lbs of weight-loss and to eliminate the lower belly fat and love handles. I will tell you this, I have found muscles that I did not know existed with some of the workouts the trainer has put together for me.

To answer your questions now. If you hire a trainer that listens to your goals, takes your health into consideration and builds a plan that is beneficial for you, it is worth it.

My trainer is at the gym where I have my membership, I guess there are ways around that but the weights, machines and tools are very important.

I do not know if the trainer having experience in bariatric surgery is important but they need to be certified and know what they are doing or they could cause you more harm than good. The most important thing is they listen to you. Do not start any exercise until you get full clearance from your surgeon, I could not exercise until after 6 weeks. It is very important that you tell them you calorie intake and your priority. For example, my goal is still losing the rest of my excess weight, toning up and then getting in the best shape of my life, in that order. I hope that helps.

1. Has it been beneficial to you and why?

Yes it was the only other time I managed to lose 40lbs! My trainer emailed me and text me when he didin't see me at the gym.

2. Do you HAVE to be a member of a gym or is there a way around that?

yes you do have to be a member :-(

3. How much is average cost?

My monthly membership at lifetime is 74 a month and the personal training is a whopping 75 dollars per session. if you can get a friend or family member to do it with you, you can save money that way!

4. Should I try to find someone familiar with training after bariatric surgery or will anyone due?

I think unless your BMI was very high to begin with you should be fine with anyone, as long as they know your caloric intake. I wouldn't probably start with a personal trainer until at least 2 or 3 months out, because they kick your butt!

I am signing up for a bootcamp type group personal training soon. :-) good luck!!