Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone, I have a question to those sleevers who are farther out then me..I am almost 6 months out and I still get the severe heartburn/acid reflux, when did it stop for you? I haven't taken the Nexium in a couple months, because I hate the powder Nexium..but the past couple weeks, I thought it was getting better, but nope the past couple days it has hurt so BAD!! I hate it!!! So any advise would be great, I go back to the doctors in 3 weeks and if its not better then I'm demanding that he give me a tablet to take instead of that stinking powder..UGH!!

Okay vent over!!! LOL

I found that Prilosec works better for me than Nexium. I have had very bad reflux since surgery. I now take Prilosec twice a day and it keeps it under control. Up until 6 months out I was taking Prilosec and LOTS of Tums. It's important to stay on your anti-acid medication as this reflux can lead to a condition called Barrett;s Esophagus, which can be a precursor to esophageal cancer. Hang in there and take your meds!!! It's still soooo much better than our pre-surgical condition. Good Luck!!!

It may never go away. Unfortunately, it's just a side effect of the sleeve.

Please be aware of Barrett's Esophagus if you haven't heard of it, research it. Even silent reflux sufferers who are not diligent with their PPI end up Barrett's esophagus, and it can lead to esophageal cancer.

Prilosec is my go-to. I'm on Nexium right now because of the pregnancy, but I am going back to Prilosec once Tatum gets here. And, I'm about 90% sure that I'll never go off my PPI.

I go back to the doctors in 3 weeks and if its not better then I'm demanding that he give me a tablet to take instead of that stinking powder..UGH!!

Why wait? Have him call in a prescription to your pharmacy. ;)

I'm not quite sure why you are on a powder... I am 5 weeks out and i've been on a prescription since day one. It is a tiny little pill and i've never had problems with it. Good luck, and if it is that bad I wouldn't wait until you next appointment. You could try calling your surgeon and ask for something different or for some suggestions.

I am still on Nexium twice a day and Zantac once a day and am 8 months out. I pay for it if I do not keep up on my dosages, I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia after surgery too so apparently I am stuck with it. Definitely look into getting it in pill form. The pill is really easy to swallow. I initially was on prilosec and the bill was HUGE, it didn't work well for me either.

When I went ot him last time I asked for the pill form, he said next time I come in he will give me the pill form..not sure why he wont let me take it..I take my allegra and it's a horse pill, I just break it in half and my singiular is a small tablet..Not sure why, but he is the doctor, so I've just listened to him..But I had never heard of the Barretts before, so I will definately start taking it whether I like it or not.

Thanks!!