Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well 2 days ago, and 9 months post op I finally hit a "normal" BMI of 24.8 - Yay!

I have been longing to see that number for so long, and it just seems insane to actually be there, but I found a massive peak of euphoria for a few minutes, and then found the old voice of "well its still not good enough!" creeping back in.

So to echo another thread, how do you know enough is enough? I have 10lb to what on paper is my "dream" goal, and its is reasonable - at 5'8 154lb is a sensible weight, but I can't see it being enough.

Does anyone else feel like this? I am incredibly grateful to be a WLS success, however there is still a pshychological itch to scratch somewhere!

Hey Cludgie...

Congrats on being normal!

I know where you are coming from... when is enough enough? I think there are more factors to it than just numbers... how you feel in yourself, your clothes and how healthy you are will, for me, be a indicator in the 'end' of this whole process.

Honestly, I think for your height, you are probably very near goal.... but you have to walk in your shoes. I know it is difficult, but try not to dwell on the bits that you see that you don't like ( for me it is belly fat and the lose skin in that area) and try to look at all the benefits that losing 71lbs has given you. Put a pair of pre sleeve trousers on and watch them fall to the floor!! Try to look at the whole picture and you massive achievements over the last 9mths!

Let me know what you decision is... good luck my lovely! =]

Oh Cludgie, I hear you loud and clear. Congratulations on reaching your goal. I am so happy for you. Enough is enough when you feel "right" about everything about you. Its a hard realization to come to because we have tried so long to be "normal" only to get part of the way there and then to see it slip away yet again. Now you don't have to worry about that anymore, you learned how to eat healthy, live healthy and now its time to think healthy. When you are comfortable where you are is the right place to be then that is enough. I am not there yet, yes I reached my goal jeans and that was a great feeling but I am not comfortable with everything else. Are you comfortable?

Congrats on getting to a normal BMI :)

Huzzah Cludgie, well done you!!

I felt the same when I hit under 25 and I felt better when my BMI was under 22 and I was going to the gym a few times a week. But under 25 I stopped feeling officially fat which is nice xx

Congrats on reaching your goal cludgie!!! I know you look fabulous, but what I think doesn't matter even a little. YOU make the call on when enough is enough. Just keep doing what you feel is right for YOU, and perhaps in time your mind will change. And that's OK too!

Wishing you well in your POST goal world!!!

Well 2 days ago, and 9 months post op I finally hit a "normal" BMI of 24.8 - Yay!

I have been longing to see that number for so long, and it just seems insane to actually be there, but I found a massive peak of euphoria for a few minutes, and then found the old voice of "well its still not good enough!" creeping back in.

So to echo another thread, how do you know enough is enough? I have 10lb to what on paper is my "dream" goal, and its is reasonable - at 5'8 154lb is a sensible weight, but I can't see it being enough.

Does anyone else feel like this? I am incredibly grateful to be a WLS success, however there is still a pshychological itch to scratch somewhere!

The head games......OMG - I do finally recognize myself when I look in the mirror, but I am now wearing a size 4 and I still look at them and think no way!! My surgeon's goal for me was 150, I wanted a 'five lb pad'. I kept on losing, getting 18 below what my doctor's goal. It was too low, but I had trouble stopping!!! Is that crazy or what??!!! I've gone up from an all time low of 132 back up to 138 - 143, that's where I'm comfortable and I find it very easy to stay here. I'm not quite 5'7" - there are a lot of mind games we play with ourselves! Someone posted one time that it takes about 3 yrs to stop all the games! I still have an irrational fear of gaining again...........I know we can drink our calories and gain easily, but living as a naturally thin person, I think we are safe. I still ask my husband "Did I eat a lot?" It's because I can eat so much more than I could a year ago....but when I look at what others are eating at restaurants, it's shocking. I eat soooo much less and it astounds me to know I use to eat that amount!!!

Cludgie,

Congrats on becoming Normal and thanks for a thoughtful post and what is enough.

I'm closing in on normal BMI with just 3 lbs. to go. I know it won't be enough for me. I have some fat pads I'm hoping to melt away by losing another 20 lbs. after I get to normal BMI. I think goal is different for everyone.

Lynda

Cludgie, Congrats on being "normal"! Only you will know when you are at the right weight for you. If you are really worried, have a talk with a nutritionist or Shrink... just to touch base with someone with a medical perspective. I am just a few pounds from "normal" too, and plan to lose a bit more after that. I want a cushion so if there is a bounce at three years like some talk about, I won't bounce out of the ball park!