Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Movement anyone???

My sleeve surgery was on 10/17/11. At home feeling better each day....the only problem is I haven't had a bowel movement yet and the my belly is so bloated that it irritates my incisions.

How long did it take before you had a movement post-op???

I also had surgery on the 17th, and had my first bowel movement on the 19th. It's odd though - very watery and kind of a dark green color (TMI sorry) Last year I had open surgery to have my ovaries removed and I think it was almost a week before I could go. Definitely talk to your doctor if you're concerned though, maybe he can give you some suggestions or medication.

My sleeve surgery was on 10/17/11. At home feeling better each day....the only problem is I haven't had a bowel movement yet and the my belly is so bloated that it irritates my incisions.

How long did it take before you had a movement post-op???

ok so for me when i was at the stage a very small amount of watered down prune juice everyday until i went did the job for me. almost 3 months out and i still do this from time to time ....hope this helps ....

The hospital told me to take milk of magnesia the evening I got home from the hospital and the next day. When I called a couple of days later because of belly pain they asked me if I had taken it. I had not. They told me it was extremely important that I take it. I did and I felt soooo much better afterwards.

I didn't have one for about 4 days, but I had HORRIBLE post-op gas from them swelling my stomach up. It was so bad, that I could not take a deep breath or sit up straight for 2 days.

About day 3 that gas started breaking loose and I started tootin (TMI sorry) and I started feeling better, but on day 4, I got HORRIBLE diahrreha and had it for a week.

I still get it about a couple time a month, had it today as a matter of fact, and like the above poster stated, it is green when it happens!! :huh:

I only have a BM now about 5-6 times a month anymore, which was really hard for me to accept in the beginning, but now at 6 months out, I am cool with it.

Kelly

7 days. N today I finally took milk of magnesia but nothing. I'm afraid of the pain of going I felt from yesterday. :0(

For me I was going onto two weeks when I finally gave in and took some Milk of Magnesia. It was really difficult to get down but I felt soooo much better after I did. I was hesitant to take it because in the past I had a bad experience with something different, but for the same reason. I finally gave in and tried it and I am very glad that I did. At this point (I am two months out) I don't need to take anything but I definitely do not go as frequently as I used to... maybe two to three times a week (TMI sorry...).

If you are that uncomfortable and have already tried something like Milk of Mangesia then I would definitely contact your surgeon.

FYI, the green color could be due to food colors (if you're eating a lot of Jello, for example - certain colors can cause some pretty "colorful" BMs!).

FYI, the green color could be due to food colors (if you're eating a lot of Jello, for example - certain colors can cause some pretty "colorful" BMs!).

This made me laugh... when I was about 2 (before I was potty trained) I decided to eat some crayons... my mom was very shocked the next morning lol! What you said about certain colors just triggered the memory of my mom telling me this story.