Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cokes have never been my weakness, so I just leave them out all together. I am just to afraid that if I do drink a coke, then my band slips, I would mad at myself and blame myself for the slipage. I want to take no chances on lossing my band. If I do lose my band down the road I can honestly say it wasn't my fault. (not banded for another 4 days but thats my moto)

I was a terrible soda junkie. I thought I that the lack of soda would just set me off, but it hasn't been bad. In fact, a few weeks ago I was at a fast food w/DD and just out of habit, reached and took a sip of her soda. I thought I was gonna be sick. It was so sweet. ME, saying something was too sweet...didn't think that would happen but it did.

I live on Water and Crystal Light. Lubs it! :) I don't even attempt to try to drink any diet sodas because I know that's all it will take for me to move on up to the sugary stuff.

I was told by my doctor that you shouldn't drink caffenated drinks. It doesn't matter if I drink caffeine-free diet coke....but it's the caffeine he's worried about b/c it makes people eat more. I also heard this from my Weight Watchers counselor.

I drink diet coke or coke zero just about every day -- no problems, except for minor heartburn when I drink too much (just like coffee). This whole restriction on drinking sodas is just SO overblown. There are no scientific studies on it, I can assure you. It probably originated from some doctor(s) not wanting their patients to drink non-diet soda. Plus some people have trouble with the gas.

Of course, if you have problems, you shouldn't drink it. But just use common sense. So enjoy your diet sodas!

Maryland- How long have you been banded? I am curious how soon after banding that you were able to drink carbonation?

I waited until my healing period was over -- six/seven weeks, I think. I was really nervous, because I'd heard so much about not drinking sodas, but really, it turned out to not be a big deal. You don't want to gulp, though, 'cause a big gulp of gas will get you. I find that pouring into a glass, or sipping through a straw works great. You will learn how much you can sip at a time to avoid any gas discomfort.

Hi All

I miss diet coke so much i only two weeks post -op so i dare not try it yet. I worried i start dreaming of coke :spit: :spit: :spit: is the only thing i really miss. I do k now if you add a little Water to coke the fizz will go:biggrin1: if that helps any one.

LANA

I waited until my healing period was over -- six/seven weeks, I think. I was really nervous, because I'd heard so much about not drinking sodas, but really, it turned out to not be a big deal. You don't want to gulp, though, 'cause a big gulp of gas will get you. I find that pouring into a glass, or sipping through a straw works great. You will learn how much you can sip at a time to avoid any gas discomfort.

You know, I was told when I was preparing to be banded that I could never drink out of a straw again. They said I would swallow air and would be incredibly uncomfortable. I have tried drinking out of a straw and nothing happened. Has anyone else heard of the forbidden straw? Do you drink out of straws? The advice I was given was for bypass patients too, so I'm not sure if it's a lap band thing or a WLS thing.

I don't remember if I was told that by my doctor, or if it was on here that I heard that. But I was leary of it too, til I tried it, and I'm fine with it.

I've heard of the forbidden straws too, but I think that's another personal thing. The first thing I got when I woke up from surgery was a glass of Water with a straw to drink it! I've had no trouble with straws. (and I'm the one who hurts like heck if I have even the tiniest bit of carbonation.

I tried Propel the other day -- that was yummy stuff! I might add a bottle of that every day since too much Crystal Light worries me (the aspartame). Propel uses Splenda.

Straws - yes.

Carbonation - no.

Honestly when I was under-restricted I didn't have trouble with carbonation.

But once I got some REAL restriction, it wasn't even an issue. It doesn't work at all.

Lucky for me, I gave up caffeine and carbonated sodas before LapBanding.

So that left just a few more vices to get rid of after LapBanding (like garlic bread...)

I still drink my diet coke everyday and my doc said its ok.

Why arent we supposed to be drinking it, does anyone know??

Thanks in advance:)