Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's wierd looking at the way you used to eat from this side...

I just had to post, I have caught myself recently looking at how I used to eat from this side and it is shocking. Here are a couple examples...

- My sister who lives with me eats alot of fast food, and I have been trying to help her stop eating it, or atleast eat in moderation. I then realized my sister eats exactly how I used to, and now that I am being healthy and looking in at it, I am honestly just dumb founded that I could have ever eaten, not only how much I did but what I was eating.

- I was so excited when I could finally eat eggs. I made 1 scrambled egg and I could not even eat half of the egg... I used to eat 2 eggs, bacon and toast with jam.

- My sister asked me if I wanted to go with her to Taco Bell now that I have no diet restrictions, and without hesitation I said no thank you. No thank you, seriously I would have been in the car 3 seconds after she mentioned it before surgery. Don't get me wrong I am not saying I havent thought, mmm a cheeseburger would be nice, but I havent actually seriously considered eating fast food.

What were your realizations or experiences that made you go wow, things have changed?

I have a slightly different perspective since my surgery. I am following the rules, getting my Protein in first etc. but I decided when I had this surgery that I was not on a diet anymore, a lifestyle change instead and my days of deprivation and starving were over! I have been to taco bell once and got a fresco chicken taco and ate the middle out, only one small bite of the tortilla. I was satsified and it was good. There are lots of healthy people that are thin also and they eat where they want to, just not like we used to eat! I could put away a half dozen tacos and a nacho bell grande easy before this! I was always looking for that stuffed feeling as a sign I was full. Now i get that in just a few bites of the inside of a taco. I am looking to lead a normal life, like other normal healthy people and not eating any more fast food ever is not in my vocabulary. I dont advocate eating fast food all the time but occassionally, I think its fine.

I am not saying this is for everyone. I respect you so much for deciding fast food is not for you anymore and doing what you need to do to be sucessful. I think we are all on our own journey and we have to find what works for us individually. I dont partake in fast food often but I dont want to live my life saying...oh I cant have that or having others decide for me. I hate that worse. My husband or coworkers will say... we are going to chilis..oh but you cant have that... now my coworkers dont invite me anymore. Of course I can have it. They have chicken, beef, Protein choices all day long... I think I can make a good decision and i dont need them to decide for me what I can eat and where I can go. Sorry... got myself worked up over that.

I say, find what works for you, eliminating foods or not and work your sleeve! I am proud for you that you are realizing the differences in how you ate before and how you dont have any desire to return to that lifestyle. Good going! Keep up the good work.

I am still early in my lifestyle change, I do plan on eventually eating fast food every once in a while, but I am holding off until My bday (allowing myself a cheat meal) and then once I am maintaining my weight or getting close to my goal.

I am still early in my lifestyle change, I do plan on eventually eating fast food every once in a while, but I am holding off until My bday (allowing myself a cheat meal) and then once I am maintaining my weight or getting close to my goal.

Sounds like a good plan! I dont plan on it much and the times I have eaten it, It was because I didnt have much choice but I like that taco bell has a fresco menu and it is an option for me if i need it in a crunch. I wish you much luck and I look forward to following your success! Nice to meet you!

i still get a bit frustrated. it is awesome when nothing at the drive through is appetizing, but it is also very frustrating when you are in a hurry and really need to eat something. i also get a little emotional sometimes when i see how little i eat. very weird.

the plus side is that this really works and if i could eat the same old stuff i ate before i would still be that fat girl. last night we went to red robin. i was less than thrilled because i don't think there is a lot on the menu for me. i asked for the kids portion of chicken on a stick (grilled chicken) without a side dish. they charged me less than the kids meal - amazing! the chicken was good and my family had their burgers and we were all very happy.

i am resigned to it now, but i have to admit my reflections on food can be a bit emotional. i am also shocked at how much other people eat.

as far as fast food goes: i will eat a taco bell taco (most of it), and you can get a single piece of chicken at el pollo loco asa side dish (i think its $1). i have gotten the small portion of chicken fries at burger king. the smell of mcdonalds and jack in the box make me sick - and i used to love jack in th box. my aversion to bread pretty much kills those options anyway.

it is an intresting journey for sure!

I feel like my head hasn't caught up with my stomach yet. I tend to pack too much stuff in my lunch for work just in case I get hungry (and I do still get hungry). I only put a portion on my plate that I know I can eat because it's still hard for me to not clear my plate. I have to be really careful not to plate up too much. Fast food still appeals to me but I know I shouldn't have the bread/tortillas so it's easier for me to skip those things. I did have a chicken strip once and all that grease on my tummy felt so awful the temptation is less. Watching everyone around me eat quickly just makes me feel like the odd man out. I feel sometimes I keep everyone at the table long after they're done. I do have one "normal" friend who eats slowly like I do and eats small portions, but for the most part my friends and family eat like I used to.

The thing I realize most is how much other people talk about dieting and diets. I sit in the staff room and listen to people talk about starting a new diet and all I can think is... Ohhhhh gaaaaawd... nightmarrrrrre! I am just happy to not have to be on another diet! That used to be me.. the person going on a diet. Never again... never.

For those times when I am on the run and really need to eat, I happily discovered that most gas stations sell Muscle Milk Protein Drinks.< /p>

Rev, I can relate!

The one thing I let myself have was spicy crab sushi, but I ordered it as a hand roll, without rice and without avacado. I then just ate the spicy crab, not the seaweed. It only cost like $3. I was used to spending like $20 for sushi and getting spicy crab pizza, dynamite sushi and a spring roll. Or the times that I would get the all you can eat, boy its embarrassing to think about.

I was out at a dinner buffet with my boyfriend last week, and he had three full plates while I only had a portion of one. I was absolutely shocked to think that I used to be able to eat that much (and probably a lot more). It made me ill to think about it, actually.