Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

would seriously give almost ANYTHING for a .....

Squirt, Ruby Red Squirt or Canada Dry Ginger Ale right now. Seriously ... I haven't had a pop since I started my preop diet Aug 4. I want one soooooooooo bad. I really just need a drink with a kick!! I'd even take one of those carbonated waters from Walmart. Heeeeeelp!!!!

How do you deal with the cravings???

I hear you! It's seriously a tough one. My kids were eating leftover Mandarin Fried chicken wings for dinner last night and I nearly went nuts! I did succumb and had a little nibble that one of them had carelessly left on their plate. I consoled myself by remembering that there are plenty who have documented their experiences going off the wagon on this board.

As for the thirst cravings, I'm finding as I go along I am able to drink larger gulps in one go and I try to make that my consolation for not being able to drink carbonated drinks. I'm also looking for substitutes, although they aren't carbonated. Right now I'm liking diet Cranberry juice. It's actually too strong for me, so I Water it down some (saves money that way too). Besides Crystal Light, which is okay, you can also find lower calorie apple juice in the stores, and that's not too bad. I'm always on the lookout for other alternatives to plain H2O. Don't like stuff too sweet, so it's a bit of a challenge.

Hang in there - it'll be worth it, right?biggrin.gif

I miss soda and carbonated drinks too! Even though my doctor told me I could never have a carbonated drink for the rest of my life, I have had a couple sips here and there of my mom's Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper.

I may go back to drinking soda in the future, but definitely NOT 3-5 cans a day or with meals. I'll wait a few more months for my sleeve to finish healing. It's just something I miss, and I want to reserve it for something to drink sparingly.

I have been weaning myself off carbonated drinks before surgery. One thing I really love as an alternative to Water is Blackberry Pomegranate Lipton Iced Green Tea. They come in the individual packets similar to Crystal Light and have zero calories. They have only a mild sweetness and no aftertaste.

Well I haven't tried the Blackberry Pomegranate Lipton Iced Green Tea, but I am totally addicted to the Lipton Diet Green Tea Citrus. It is not as fruity as all the crystal light type drinks, so doesn't seem as acidic. And I love the taste. I kicked the habit of sodas a good while before my surgery, so I don't miss them. I totally traded my addiction for Mt Dew, to these. But I do miss baked potatoes. I think I miss baked potatoes more than I do sodas, sweets, chocolates, or anything! As a matter of fact, a few times when we go out for steak, I do allow myself a few bites, but this is like twice and just 3 bites. I don't even miss bread as much as I do potatoes. It's funny what we miss the taste of on our journey.

I think it gets easier with time. I'll be 10 months out in 3 days. I think it's been closer to 11 months since I had a real soda.....

Over the Summer I did break down and try a sip. Not because I craved it but because we were out and I was needing something and that's all we had at the moment.... It was so gross. I was like REALLY?! I used to drink HOW MANY OF THESE A DAY?!

Then about a month ago my brain was playing serious tricks on me and made me think I was craving...... I went through a million things in my head. How maybe something like Sprite would do the trick.... or, a Coke slurpee! I ignored it... and, it went away.

Stay strong.

I drink a maybe a 1/4 of a can of diet coke every few days and a seltzer Water every day. Is it against your surgeons recommendations? I have no issues and my surgeon says it WILL NOT stretch my sleeve.

Sugarfree hawaian punch is my main drink. It's sooo good. My surgeon said no carbonation for the first 2 months and then in moderation. I have tried a sip or two of diet coke and I hate the way it feels in my stomach.

Yes I can feel you on this!! I was addicted to Barq's Rootbeer and OMG I haven't had one since the week before my surgery which was 9/8/11. The odd thing was I did take a little sip of my daughter's rootbeer and it didn't taste the same to me. So I am not really missing it anymore. I do love ice cold Water and tea. I try not to drink that much tea but water pretty much does it for me.

If you are told by your Dr not to have it then dont but I was able to have a couple sips of pop after a month. I don't buy it and bring it home though, I'm afraid I would slip back into old habits.