Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad and Healthy eating at once

Hello Sleevies or on your way to be Sleevies!!!

This is probably more so for the people whom hasnt had the surgery yet!

My surgery date is November 9th and I'm at a stand still. I've lost 17LBS on my own and it came from just literally changing the way i consumed foods and i stopped the MCDonalds and Burger King and went to El Pollo Loco and Trader Joes instead. That lasted about 3 months and now I'm back eating the unhealthy stuff. Taco Bell, Carne Asada Burrito's and the list goes on! BUT I still eat the healthy stuff I enjoyed from Trader Joes. So my weight hasnt changed and Im not exercising any more like i usually would. I'm afraid I will gain a all of my weight back before my surgery.

Are any of your struggling with the same thing?

I know its a sense of mind control, however i feel as if because i know mentally that the surgery date is approaching I'm begining to binge eat :(

I hope Im the only experiencing this nightmare lol.:unsure:

YES!!! I've been struggling for a month or so now.... My doc and nut wanted me to eat at certain times during the day.... I started that and gained 5 lbs.. but my body adjusted and I lost about 12-15... I keep going back to not eating until late afternoon or skipping Breakfast... I have 2 months to get it together!! I will probably have my sleeve done Dec 22 or 26... I'm excited, but also disappointed that my focus is off... I keep telling myself to take it one day at a time and change one thing at a time...

I believe we will be fine.. This journey takes a lot, physically, emotionally and ever other -ally!!!

I totally struggled pre-op when I was waiting for my surgery, having "food funerals" etc. I gained 10lbs in 2 months eating whatever I wanted. It made me feel like crap, and If I hadn't done that I would probably have a 1 at the begining of my weight instead of a 2 now. :-( Try and think long term, and do the best you can!

Well, how do I put it? I never intended to lose a lot of weight pre-op. ;) I know this is a different approach, but from the outset I told my PCP I wanted to lose 4 pounds a month & I have. I wanted to have my food funerals & I am tired of dieting without the extra tool I will hopefully get.

Luckily she agreed. As a volume eater, I would rather deal with hunger with the sleeve than 3 months on the supervised PCP diet. That is what works for me. (I have a 39 BMI) I am sure this approach does not work for most. I am hoping the insurance is ok with this. :o My paperwork just got submitted today. We shall see.

BTW, I have been using myfitnesspal and it has worked beautifully. Good luck to all!

i dont know if this helps or not...i haven't posted in awhile. pre-op weight was 306, im almost 2 months out, weight is 266 ( im a 6 foot 3 male) now. typically i have a Protein shake ( double scoop 43 gram bomb) then i eat regular food. today i had a shake, and well i hate to say it, a bean and cheese burrito with some guac and fiesta sauce from taco bell. took me about an hour 1/2 to eat the whole thing. thats it. i eat some nuts evry now and then, shrimp here and there, but i just try and get my hake Protein and eat as much as i can. i have alot of restriction. white meat chicken, forget it. double cheeseburger with no bun, i can eat the whole thing. just totally wierd. but im not gaining weight ( i think im in a bit of a stall, but im not worried about that) my a1c is down to 5.8, and my cholesterol is almost normal.

just eat the best you can guys. i am on the go and a high speed low drag professional, so i end up having to grab crap out all the time, its horrible, but its either that, or dont eat at all. ill loose the rest of my weight, but ive almost lost 40 pounds in almost 2 months...i think im on the right track.

follow your feelings!

-Mike

I didn't have a pre-op diet so I can't really relate to having a doctor's orders to follow a specific plan. However, I did notice that I did the whole "food funeral" thing a bit, too.

I think in the long run, cutting out those foods that trigger cravings (for me that was fast food in general, especially french fries and soda) is for the better. The liquids phase post op is TOUGH and the more "clean" your eating prior to surgery the easier I think it is to get through it.

But regardless of anything else I'll say that you shouldn't beat yourself up if it's hard or challenging. If losing weight were easy for any of us, we wouldn't be here. If I could just wave my magic wand and stop craving bad food or feeling hungry or hating exercise I wouldn't have shelled out ten grand for surgery!

And I hate to sound like a downer or worry you, but some of those foods that I loved before I can't eat at all - even now, 16 months out. So enjoy this time - start slowly making better choices because later on you won't have a choice if you want to be healthy and not hurt your sleeve, but relax about the whole thing.

~Cheri

Thanks so much everyone!

My surgery is next wednesday Nov 9th :biggrin2: and I have 5lbs to lose before then. I've decided to do a full liquid diet starting today until the day of surgery. I want to commit to riding my bike this last week as well at least for 30 minutes to an hour and maybe do some cardio at home.