Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Gastric Sleeve Op Liquid Diet: 13 Days To Go. Why Do I Have To Do It For So Long?

ok i finally snatched some response from the dietician as to why does it have to be just liquids:

"it is easier to measure" she says.

my god this is the stupidest thing i ever heard! EASIER TO MEASURE??? and starve and risk to fail in it just because it is easier to measure??? you feel much fuller and satiated when you have venegtables for god's sake! with the same calorie intake, at least you would be exposed to less failure!

ok i finally snatched some response from the dietician as to why does it have to be just liquids:

"it is easier to measure" she says.

my god this is the stupidest thing i ever heard! EASIER TO MEASURE??? and starve and risk to fail in it just because it is easier to measure??? you feel much fuller and satiated when you have venegtables for god's sake! with the same calorie intake, at least you would be exposed to less failure!

It sounds like one of those "punish you because you're fat" ideas. In other words, she doesn't know either. I'm sorry that you have to put up with that.

I started my pre-op Protein liquid diet on Sept 26th. I don't have a surgery date yet. I do not even have my psych evaluation until Nov 1st. So I am assuming I will be on this diet for quite some time. I have been off track for a few days now. I eat shakes twice a day and then binge the rest of the day. I don't want to it's just geeze how much can you expect from me. I am fat after all. A surgery date would be nice, something to work towards. At least then I could say "yes I am starving but my surgery is on such and such day". Instead I am like "yeah I'm starving and I don't even know when I am having surgery big hooray".

My surgeon claims this is for the best because if insurance denies me they can claim I have been on a supervised diet. At 3:00pm I don't care because I am hungry cranky and a big ole' poopie pants.

So in other words I am jealous of your 2 week diet, especially jealous of 1 weekers, and I just plain ole hate 1-2 day people. LOL I am just kidding but it is frustrating. I feel like telling my surgeon that I know I can starve and lose weight I don't need him to prove that to me.

You can do it though, it is so hard. Are you allowed to have Sf popsicles, broth, and other non-caloric Clear Liquids. Those have helped me a lot.

felicia, yes i am allowed sf Jello & popsicles. it's nothing, like Water for god's sake.

it is not motivating to be on this kind of diet without a set surgery date. you are right.

i couldnt get the insurance to cover me but thankfully (or unfortunately) they found i have a small hiatal hernia and so because the doc will have to remove it first before doing the sleeve, then the surgery cost will drop from $16000 to $10000. i would pay $5000 up front, and then finance the remaining $5000.

regarding your diet, if you want to binge, at least do it the other way around: binge until 5 pm and then after that dont eat. it will definitely help you. did you try Alli diet pills? they are terrific. without them i would have been much heavier.

I have tried every diet pill out there. I only need to lose about 10-15 pounds in order for my doctor to say he will do surgery. In order for my liver to shrink and all that good stuff. So at first I was all gun ho and dropped like 15 pounds in 2 weeks. After that I started sneaking in bad foods here and there, usually in the evening. I gained 6 back. The truth is I know I can lose weight, I can't keep the weight off though. That's why I need a new stomach lol. That way a month into my new sleeve lifestyle I can't quit or get bored and binge all my weight loss back on. Hopefully though in the meantime I can figure out why I self sabotage and gain weight back, because eventually (even with the sleeve) you can get fat.

The diet sucks. But the end goal I have heard is the best thing for just about everyone's lives on here. I have heard that after a few days it won't be as bad (the pre-op diet that is). I don't believe it for a second. I was doing everything so good for almost 14 days and I was still a complete witch to everyone. I had headaches and I was weak. Everyone is different though. I found myself reading a lot more or coming on here to pass the time. Try and stay busy, that's my best advice.

Oh and broth. I use chicken bouillon cubes and boil them in Water they have beef too if you don't like chicken. I know it's just Water but I sip it with a spoon and it does taste pretty good. It will fill you up too. And make sure you drink water. Water is filling and can help your hunger pains and headaches. It didn't help me with my bad mood but hey I told my BF this wouldn't be easy.

Good Luck you can do it.!!!!!

The liquid diet helps you the HYDRATE yourself before surgery as this is a major concern after surgery. So if you are HYDRATING well before surgery you should be able to do the same after. My nurse told me to drink like a fish the day before surgery, to get HYDRATED and over saturated for a smoother surgery. I feel like a swishing fish inside with all the liquids milling around. I have a 2 week pre op liquid diet.

but why do we need to hydrate our bodies if we are going to be on a 100% liquid diet afterwards??

Its not that easy for many people to drink enough after surgery. You may gain a lot of Water weight from IVs, and you need to drink to get rid of that Water weight as soon as you can. De hydration can send you back to the hospital after surgery. I know it sounds contrary... but I have seen it here on the boards more than once.

i didnt get that one: gain weight from IV? how's that? you mean they are going to hydrate me through iv?

and: get rid of Water weight by drinking Water?

i didnt get that one: gain weight from IV? how's that? you mean they are going to hydrate me through iv?

and: get rid of Water weight by drinking Water?

Some people retain the Fluid from the IV. I gained 10 pounds from surgery, but it came off quickly. Water is a diuretic. Drink water to get rid of water retention... while staying healthy hydrated. No kidding!

It's true. I find that if I don't drink enough Water one day I will weigh in heavier the next day from retention. If I drink enough and stay hydrated I lose weight faster.

Plus Water helps push out the nasties in your body from losing weight. BONUS! lol

They also put you on the liquid Protein diet to shrink your liver, not just to hydrate you. At least that's what my surgeon said.

i suppose that Water acts like a diuretic because it takes away the salts?

i eat a lot of salt. i pour a lot over the broths. is it bad??

i am staaaaaaaaaaaarvinggg for god's sake!! it's been since the 13th and i have not cheated at all. still 5 more days. surgery is next wednesday.

i never thought i would make it until now. does anyone know of a good appetite suppressant? everyone can hear my stomach crying...:unsure:

i suppose that Water acts like a diuretic because it takes away the salts?

i eat a lot of salt. i pour a lot over the broths. is it bad??

i am staaaaaaaaaaaarvinggg for god's sake!! it's been since the 13th and i have not cheated at all. still 5 more days. surgery is next wednesday.

i never thought i would make it until now. does anyone know of a good appetite suppressant? everyone can hear my stomach crying...:unsure:

Just a few more days. Hang in there. You may not have a taste for so much salt after the surgery. Unless you sweat a lot because you exercise a lot, too much salt is not great for you.

I am 2 weeks til my surgery and have been placed on a 1200 calorie diet to lose my remaining 10 pounds before surgery. I also have to do the clear liquids only 2 days prior. I guess everyones surgeon is different which I find weird. I'm just having a hard time getting the Protein Shakes down. Good luck on your surgery !!

thanks a lot everyone. i am still surviving. today i bought some whipped cream to eat with those infamous SF jellos. it is very low in calories and adds some taste. i did replace 1 of my daily 200 cal slimfasts with a small can of lentil Soup because i got tired of the same thing everyday.

i also bought some sodium free salt substitute. i eat too much salt and i think it is making my body retain Water.

i just want it to be next week.

i have noticed that food, eating and preparing food in general takes a lot of my mental energy. when i had to be put on this diet, i felt like something big in my life started missing. honestly, it felt like a "divorce" to me. we can build such an intense emotional relationship with food...

i have been thinking how i am going to do on the long run without it. it's like i am talking about a boyfriend! something like "he's gone out of my life, how am i going to live?"

i have been feeling depressed since this liquid diet. i linked it to the lack of carbs and sleep. but now i am wondering if food wasnt the element that was sort of keeping me ARTIFICIALLY happy and emotionally ok... and now that we snatched this fix out of my life, i find myself having to face some issues.

now - only now - i'd rather deal with that than with an ugly image in the mirror. i grew up thinking that all that i am worth is being desired my men and nothing else. i obviously mixed desire and love (some of you can read between the lines of course). so i spent hours making sure i looked great and eating hardly anything. 45 minutes for makeup and everyday at the gym. and if i had a steak in the evening at the restaurant, i would rush to the restroom to purge everything.

what did it get me? guys wanting sex. while i wanted love. clearly, i was sending out the wrong signals and got myself all the wrong guys. then heartbreak after heartbreak, i decided i am done with this crap. time to "inflate" myself.

time to make sure i dont get myself any eyes to look at me, and consequently avoid heartbreaks.

so i started eating like a pig. wow i got peace at last. for a long time, i was fine with it. i was the most confident fattie you could ever see. and i dated guys who liked me overweight.

and i married someone i cared deeply about. but it wasnt passion and there was no attraction. i thought this would be the most practical for me. no heartbreaks. just getting along fine...a peaceful relationship.

and then my other side woke up. where is attraction? what happened to the woman in me?

of course this came in combination with other issues. a few years later, we chose to separate.

and i chose to reconnect with the woman in me. and now that i want the woman in me to express herself and be desired and desirable, i find that my body is no longer helping me. i feel a bit trapped.

after writing it now, i think my story is a bit sad.

so i decided to undergo this surgery.

i just wonder... if i am exposed again to heartbreak, how do i deal with it?

maybe i dealt with it this way early on because i wasnt well prepared for emotional relationships. if i had had a normal upbringing and then didnt have to face these messy relationships, then i probably wouldnt have had this eating problem from the start... so the reason why i have had this itinerary is not because i dealt with the emotional issues the wrong way, but that i have had to actually deal with these issues... no? or am i wrong?

i dont know..

what do you think?