Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Would you have the VSG again?? Yes No and why

I would do it again in a heat beat! I know that I would not have been able to loose this weight without it. I was (and am) very active. Before surgery, I had low blood presure, no cholesterol, normal blood sugar and worked out hard 4, 5 to 6 times per week. But it was sooo difficult to loose weight, especially the amount I had to loose. My cardiologist told me my body was working against me. I have PCOs and it seemed as the years went by I had to work harder and harder not to gain. Any slip would translate into a gain- albeit small, but then lots of work to get it off. So the only way I could keep the calories down enough and consistently enough has been this sleeve!!! I feel great and had no complications. I am a pretty slow looser, slower than those that say they are slow loosers LOL but I am very happy because I always remind myself how difficult it was pre-surgery. So all of this is gravy! Like someone else said above, I wish I could have done this sooner!!!!!!

It's Dec I had the sleeve done in July. I am down 95 pounds. Feel great look good & no issues. YES! Get this done.

i lost 22 lbs and I'm 2 weeks out from surgery (12/5) but am now struggling with the newest diet (they added cottage cheese, eggs, canned veggies and thin Cereal (which i hate) and yoghurt. I cannot control my eating. i sit down to eat and i want to eat the whole box of cottage cheese...yes, i feel uncomfortable but no, i still want to continue eating.

NO. I would NOT do this again. If someone can teach me how to not want to overstuff myself, fine, why couldn't it have been taught before the sleeve? If noone can help me, what the heck use is the sleeve?

I would say I am torn on the answer. I love the fact that this is teaching me to use control and not overeat, but I hate it for the same reasons. I feel that maybe a better choice for me would have been to seek some food therapy or something before jumping into surgery. But I kind of feel like that is the "fat felicia" just complaining because I want to cheat and I can't. The sleeve is actually holding me accountable to a diet, when usually I would have either cheated badly or quit altogether by now.

I am only 3.5 post-op but for me this is a completely mind-blowing thing. I sit down to eat and I want to eat, but I can't. I got into a fight with my BF the other day and after it was over I wanted to do some emotional eating like I usually do, but I couldn't. I had no idea what to do with myself LOL. I swear I went into the fridge a million times and walked away empty handed. This has/is been really hard for me, but there is no going back now. I will deal with what I have done and make the best of it.

In the end though I believe I will be happy with my decision. Already I am drinking more Water than I ever have, and "cheating" now is nothing like the cheating I used to do. Plus as a bonus I don't have the urge to bite my nails anymore! I guess the stress of always thinking I was hungry is gone, so I don't pick and bite my nails now. wo0t wo0t!

i lost 22 lbs and I'm 2 weeks out from surgery (12/5) but am now struggling with the newest diet (they added cottage cheese, eggs, canned veggies and thin Cereal (which i hate) and yoghurt. I cannot control my eating. i sit down to eat and i want to eat the whole box of cottage cheese...yes, i feel uncomfortable but no, i still want to continue eating.

NO. I would NOT do this again. If someone can teach me how to not want to overstuff myself, fine, why couldn't it have been taught before the sleeve? If noone can help me, what the heck use is the sleeve?

You will not feel true restriction until you get to more solid Protein. However, if you stuff yourself, you can rip your staples. Your stomach had many nerves cut, and you may not be able to feel what is really happening there when you overstuff. You will still have some hunger hormone floating around for a while too... seriously, if you can't feel when your full, measure your food then stop. I know it can be hard, but your stomach will not be healed for over 6 weeks. MEASURE. Right now food is just medicine to help you heal. Things change quickly, and in a month or so, you will be eating almost normally for the rest of your life. Take my word for this, at 11 months, I can eat ANYTHING, and I still get restriction on dense Protein. If you think you might be having eating disorder problems (like many of us) get to your Dr, or Nut or councilor as soon as you can. No one here wants you to have a setback that sends you to the hospital. Take care.

I am so trying to find a counselor its crazy. The one I had been working with is not well herself and unable to help me. I was so counting on her support and am angry and upset that she is unable to help and was unwilling to say as much sooner. I sensed this was happening when I was being discharged from the hosp and didn't want to come home! Today was a disaster. I will try harder tomorrow and I hope I don't put another thing in my mouth til then.

I can't do a little food. All or none. Yes, I have ajn eating disorder and I need to find a shrink asap. If anyone from ct hartford area is reading this and has a connection to share, please do!

Thanks for explaning. I hope I didn't blow it totally.

I'm only 6 1/2 weeks post op but I can definitely say that I would do this again. In fact, I wish I could have had the surgery years ago. I have my life back "finally" and I am looking forward to participating in all the fun instead of sitting by and watching. I love my sleeve!!!!!

:D

Shell

Shell, Your success is awesome! Almost 86 pounds in 6 1/2 weeks! Congrats and Merry Christmas.!

Almost 10 weeks out and NO this isn't something I would ever do again, I had the band first and it was awesome, I had an erosion so it had to come, i waited two years before having the sleeve and its just been a nightmare it took me much longer to recover, always tired and 10 weeks out I've only lost 35 pounds- I fight with myself on a daily bases about what I should eat and what I shouldn't eat- am I really hungry or is it my mind playing with me? Worry about getting in enough Protein, worry about getting enough excersise etc. Nope if I could turn back time I wouldn't have this surgery.

You will not feel true restriction until you get to more solid Protein. However, if you stuff yourself, you can rip your staples. Your stomach had many nerves cut, and you may not be able to feel what is really happening there when you overstuff. You will still have some hunger hormone floating around for a while too... seriously, if you can't feel when your full, measure your food then stop. I know it can be hard, but your stomach will not be healed for over 6 weeks. MEASURE. Right now food is just medicine to help you heal. Things change quickly, and in a month or so, you will be eating almost normally for the rest of your life. Take my word for this, at 11 months, I can eat ANYTHING, and I still get restriction on dense Protein. If you think you might be having eating disorder problems (like many of us) get to your Dr, or Nut or councilor as soon as you can. No one here wants you to have a setback that sends you to the hospital. Take care.

Worthy of RE POST.

If I had to do it all over again to be completly honest I would have to say I dont know ..there are many days I feel like I should have just gotten RNY my loss is sooo slow and I cannot help to compare myself to others I would never never say I wouldnt of had WLS ! 100% YES I would do that again but as for the choice of procedure I may have changed that one ..soory to be a negitive nelly sad.gif

I will be 6 months next friday!!

My friend...in the last 6 months, you have dropped over 10 pounds a month. as far as I can tel, that is pretty normal and not slow. Attitude can change everything. You are doing great!

Living the dream,

Laura

Yes Yes and again I say YES!!

Feb. 2011 237#

post-41132-13813668887949_thumb.jpg

Dec. 2011 142.5

Nuff said...

Living the dream,

Laura

post-10327-1381365799519_thumb.jpg

post-10327-13813657995386_thumb.jpg

Laura! You look fantastic!

Lisa.......and yes, 10 pounds a month is what my nut said to expect. My Dr also said that he believes that RNY has better weight loss in the long run... I'm working to show him wrong!

I am so trying to find a counselor its crazy. The one I had been working with is not well herself and unable to help me. I was so counting on her support and am angry and upset that she is unable to help and was unwilling to say as much sooner. I sensed this was happening when I was being discharged from the hosp and didn't want to come home! Today was a disaster. I will try harder tomorrow and I hope I don't put another thing in my mouth til then.

I can't do a little food. All or none. Yes, I have ajn eating disorder and I need to find a shrink asap. If anyone from ct hartford area is reading this and has a connection to share, please do!

Thanks for explaning. I hope I didn't blow it totally.

I was thinking, if you can't do this for yourself at this time, I would ask a friend or relative over to clean out what you should not eat, help you set up what you can eat in measured serving sizes, and really, they should stay with you for a while until you can get some professional help. People DO die from overeating with the sleeve.