Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to my WLS seminar last night. The surgeon offers bypass, lap band, and VSG. Before I arrived I was pretty sure that the lap band would be my choice.

I was surprised to learn how successful the sleeve has been and now I feel more confused than ever!

Today I scheduled my consultation for the 26th and got the requirements needed from my insurance (less required than I had feared).

Has anyone else been this lost? What was the major factor that made you choose the VSG over the band?

DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

You have a 99% chance of complications and over a 35% chance the band will have to be removed within 5 years. (source, ABC news) I had the band, followed the diet to the "T" and had a full slip, was in the hospital for 3 days in screaming pain. With the band, food could get "stuck" and I can't even describe the awful feeling!!! Read the band to sleeve revision and you will see the horror stories. Yes there are people who have had no problems but you are asking and I want you to hear about what happened to me.

With the sleeve, you live a normal life and eat normally, just much less. My only regret is not having the sleeve in the first place. I had 3 surgery's and all those scars now.

Good Luck

Nina

Thanks. I've been reading for quite a while and each surgery has it's ups and downs. I appreciate your advice!

I went to my WLS seminar last night. The surgeon offers bypass, lap band, and VSG. Before I arrived I was pretty sure that the lap band would be my choice.

I was surprised to learn how successful the sleeve has been and now I feel more confused than ever!

Today I scheduled my consultation for the 26th and got the requirements needed from my insurance (less required than I had feared).

Has anyone else been this lost? What was the major factor that made you choose the VSG over the band?

My daugher had the band and for the past year and a half I've watched her go thru the trials of food getting stuck and having the fills and draining done and refilled from time to time. I admit that this is not the case for everyone. When making my decision I jumped at the idea of the sleeve as it is so much easier to live with. Make sure you do your research and make a decision on what is best for you. Good luck. I love my sleeve.

I didn't want the maintenance of having to get filled/unfilled. I didn't want a foreign object in my body or a port. After being on forums like this for yrs, and seeing how many problems people were having, and the revisions, there's just no way I would have gotten a Band. It was the Sleeve or nothing for me. I actually had Insurance once that would have covered either the Band or RNY. I waited until I was able to self-pay, because I didn't feel comfortable with the other procedures.

Good luck in your research and your weight loss journey!!

:)

same here! on the fence!! what are some problems you've had with the sleeve?

Hi there, I just had my band taken out 2 weeks ago (banded in May of 2005) . I didn't have major problems with it but because 1) i wasn't able to maintain the weight loss I did lose (only 40ish pounds and gained 30 back), 2) the "stuck" feeling is really unpleasant, at times even painful 3) having to know where bathrooms are at all time, and having to keep an empty Water bottle in your purse because if you get stuck, you gotta throw it up pretty quickly - this is commonly caused "slime-ing" because it literally gets all slimy from silva. The only good thing about sliming is that the food hasn't mixed with your stomach acids yet so you don't get the puke taste - mostly it's just the food, only slimy. Unfortanately, my surgeon wasn't able to convert my band to the sleeve as originally planned because of complications with my gall bladder. I have a Nov 30th surgery date for the sleeve. I can't wait!

It's a hard decision, some people tolerate the band better and have more success, but I do think overall there is a large percentage of bands that have to be removed for various reasons- slippage, erosion, and just for people like me who don't tolerate the band well and ultimately aren't very successful with it. I can tell you nothing feels worse than feeling like a weight loss surgery patient who failed. I was so embarrassed that I didn't lose my weight that I didn't go back to the doctor for years. I didn't even know about the sleeve before July of this year - it wasn't until I thought my band had slipped and had it checked that I talked to the doctor who was very helpful and made me feel less badly for failing to lose weight with the band. That's when I learned how many people aren't successful with the band and also how many end up having to have it removed (like a third!).

I hope this helps some. I wish you luck and much success with your journey.

I originally thought I was going to get a band. I knew a bypass wasn't for me. I didn't know anything about the sleeve. When I started reading more about the band, I didn't like the constant maintenance -- having to get filled and emptied to try to reach the "sweet spot" and the impact the fills had on diet, etc. It seemed like a lot of doctor appointments and frustration.

I was sleeved in August, and I haven't had any problems. I've never been nauseous or vomited, but I have felt "too full" sometimes. It isn't to the point of being painful, and I've been able to help the feeling pass by walking around a bit. I am very happy with my sleeve.

I was surprised to learn that you can feel and sometimes see the "port" of a band.

One thing -- I didn't want to have my intestines rerouted or a foreign object. After surgery, my husband mentioned I had a permanent staple line. I had somehow completely forgotten that the staples were a foreign object that would be left in my body. Still, it isn't something that will stick out visibly and shouldn't cause any problems.

I was surprised to learn that you can feel and sometimes see the "port" of a band.

Yes this is true. I'd originally lost 50 Lbs with my band and I was able to see the port bump. Not to mention the constant pain I was in, in the port area. Me and the band just didn't mesh. The band is now gone, and in place I have a sleeve. I've lost all the weight I've wanted to lose and my life is so much better for it!!! I love love love my sleeve, and wish I'd gotten it first! That said, hindsight is 20/20.

The more I read the more I think the sleeve is right for me! I want to lose the weight and live a normal life with my family. The band just sounds like an on going thing with too many appointments! And they're both minimally invasive so that helps with the decision too!

so...i did not have the band, just to start. however i went to the doctor originally for the band. i thought that it was the one for me because it could be removed if there were issues. im glad that when i attended the seminar i heard about the sleeve. i changed my mind instantly. i did my homework but from the begining i knew that i didnt want to go through the lap band because of all the maintenance as well as not being perminant. why go through all of this for a temporary solution? i want this to be lifelong!

i got the sleeve 2 months ago now, and thank the lord to all of the people that write about the sleeve on here because i am soooooo happy i got my sleeve now.

its not all peaches and cream.....you have to do a lot of soul searching, and changing. however by far the best choice i have ever made.

:)

I am in your EXACT shoes!! I had been researching the band diligently, and even spend hours in the lap band forums. This was before i attended my first weight loss seminar. After that I was pretty convinced that VSG is the way to go. My biggest concern right now is insurance. It covers the band, but I don't know if it covers the sleeve yet. My first appt is thursday. I CANT WAIT!!! I don't know what I will do if I get bad news! Keep us updated in your pursuit!

I am in your EXACT shoes!! I had been researching the band diligently, and even spend hours in the lap band forums. This was before i attended my first weight loss seminar. After that I was pretty convinced that VSG is the way to go. My biggest concern right now is insurance. It covers the band, but I don't know if it covers the sleeve yet. My first appt is thursday. I CANT WAIT!!! I don't know what I will do if I get bad news! Keep us updated in your pursuit!

Let us know how it goes! :)

yeah you know either way it personal and we are all WLS pateint here for eachother dont let someone bring you down because of your choice because this is really the chance of a lifetime you get to do somthing about your personal weight problem and its just wonderful to take that step period regardless of what you choose congrats!

I chose the sleeve because it seems more natural. Now I know it isn't "natural" to only have 1/5 of your stomach, but your digestion works just the same. There isn't a band to slip or erode my stomach and if I chose to have something with sugar I am not going to have to run for the nearest bathroom with dumping syndrome. The sleeve is relatively new, and side-effects might show up later, but for now, this is the best thing I have ever done. I won't lie, it isn't a picnic, the first couple of months are really hard while you get used to the smaller stomach and while the swelling in the part that is left goes down. After the first couple of months you still need to work at it, exercise and being faithful to your Protein and Fluid intake. But that all being said, I think 98% of those of us here would do it again in a heartbeat.