Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb Debate (Friendly)

I stay around 55-60 grams of carbs but breads and pastas just don't sit well with me even whole wheat. If I go over 60 grams its usually something sweat I ate and of course that doesn't bother me.

I am 56, have hypothyroidism, and before surgery lunch and dinner had to have dessert attached or I wasn't happy. I decided that I would break the carb monster's hold on me as I was learning to eat in a new way and maybe give myself a boost to overcome my age and thyroid issue. I did extremely well and did not eat over 30 gms of carbohydrate until my 7th month post-op. Black cherries and fresh peaches are some of my favorite fruit and I found that eating 6 or 8 cherries or 1/4 of a peach daily did slow down my weight loss but I love them so I ate them. Now that the season is over, no more 'til next year. I don't eat white carbs at all anymore--bread just balls up inside me and hurts, and pasta--well, Pasta makes me want more pasta. I am a carnivore at heart and quite happy with my steak and seafood diet.

I'm 3 months out and still working on the "carb, no carb" debate. Right now I'm doing better to not worry about the carbs, but I do keep track of them. I usually never go over 100 gms per day, I average about 70 per day. But all my carbs comes from either, milk, yogurt, veggies or fruits. I never eat Pasta, rice or bread. I do have crackers sometimes and I noticed when I do have crackers, I want more crackers...so this past week I've stayed away from them. I would only have a few with my chili or tuna salad.

I'm losing, but I'm a slow loser. Even when I did 30-40 gms per day I didn't lose any faster.

you have to remember there are good carbs and bad carbs. I try to eat the good carbs. Natural foods are best for you.

So as of now I'm not worried about them. Just stay away from rice, Pasta and breads. We are suppose to anyway, right? LOL

I do not count fruits and veggies as the no carbs. Only what I call white refined carbs are the limited ones for me. Its all a personal preference and everyone has to find what works for them.

I eat as many fruits and veggies my sleeve allows me.

I am a little over 9 months put. I have noticed that if I am allowing myself carbs, they are usually the bad ones. This seems to kick start more bad habits. I would probably have been at goal or under by now if I had stuck with what works best for me which is low carb eating. That being said, I wouldnt change a thing. Not once have I felt deprived. I can eat the occasional dessert without gaining, although I do have to watch it. I dont think I "dump" but I can make myself VERY sick by too much sugar and/or too much fat. Thats just my body.

What works for me is my 2 shakes every day = 120 grams protien + the occasional snack . That and lots of liquids, tea, diet coke. When I stick to this way of eating I drop lbs like crazy and feel amazing.

it's very simple for me. If I eat carbs, I want more carbs. I can eat good carbs and still crave ice cream and Cookies. I do best when I limit my carbs to only carbs from veggies. I don't eat high carb veggies like carrots, either.

If I want my cravings to go away, I do best with as few carbs as possible.

I am carb sensitive. Dang t! I wish it were otherwise.... I ate <1000 calories for five months before I started looking towards weight loss surgery and lost exactly 6 pounds. That was the story of my life! I think carb sensitive people, aka people with metabolic syndrome just wont lose on low calorie. I did not realize this until I started researching this idea after being on this forum for a while. Then, shockingly, I lost EIGHTEEN FREAKING POUNDS during my two week pre-op liquid diet! It blew my mind, and I knew it was the carbs. I feel I have gotten great result- have now lost 85 pounds since that pre-op started and feel confident I will get to goal.

I limit my carbs to <30 net carbs. My doctor also advises this (he says 40). He illustrates it using a simple drawing of two gas tanks, as if we are trucks lol. One tank has carbs and sugar, for quick energy. The other is our fat. When we run out of the quick energy, as long as there is adequate Protein, we will switch tanks and burn fat. If we keep adding carbs in appreciable amounts, our bodies are much less likely to turn to the fat, and will even dial down metabolism to stay with the carb tank. It made sense to me, and also some of the people like darling Tiff and Irene and Julie (juliarh) that I wanted to emulate when I came here had low carbed it with great results. My goal has been to get to goal as fast as possible and then live my life in maintenance (probably that is all our goals!). That is the other reason I have chosen low carb.

That said- I also think this has furthered the idea of being "on" or "off" the diet- and ultimately I know I have to solve this problem! I have had three or four episodes of binging with carbs and I know I need to work on my relationship with food and the ways I use it because I am determined to maintain this loss and never be obese again.

I also am unsure sometimes as to whether I get enough carbs as I am a work out junkie- I walk three miles a day and do six hardcore Water aerobics classes a week. I feel good, have loads of energy....and low carb is working for me.

I do not understand at all how it's possible to get just 30g carbs a day when the Protein Shakes have way more and the Vitamins, too!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!! I'm already doing this preop thing wrong!!!

I do not understand at all how it's possible to get just 30g carbs a day when the Protein shakes have way more and the Vitamins, too!!!!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!! I'm already doing this preop thing wrong!!!

There are plenty of Protein drinks without carbs or with very few- look around for them! In fact, a Protein Drink with 30 grams of carbs should NEVER be on our plans- that is a lot of sugar. I've never seen one with that many unless it is for weight gain, like Ensure.

Ditto vitamins- tha bariatric Vitamins generally do not have a lot of carbs- mine have <1. My Calcium chews do have 4 each but I know you can find Calcium without carbs too.

It is REALLY helpful to log your food every day- I use fatsecret.com and there are lots of other good ones. I have mine set to show fat, carbs, net carbs, Protein, and calories. I log every single thing including vitamins, etc. It helps you feel like you are in control and accountable.

Also remember that post-op your capacity will be sooooo little- that lowers your ability to get carbs in.

Thank u. My surgeon however gave Protein Shake options that all seem to have a lot of carbs :0/ I'll call tomorrow. Thanks again that really helped.

I also am unsure sometimes as to whether I get enough carbs as I am a work out junkie- I walk three miles a day and do six hardcore Water aerobics classes a week. I feel good, have loads of energy....and low carb is working for me.

Your plan is working! I say don't mess with it. :) *hugs*

I did have to bump mine up slightly because if I went lower my body also stalled. For me the 50g - 60g total or less works perfect.

I felt really icky when I was in full-blown ketosis, early on post-op (I knew I was in ketosis because I still had a bunch of ketostix from one of my failed Atkins attempts). I added in some soft fruits at that point, bumped out of ketosis and felt like a million bucks. I need a few carbs and so far, my weight loss doesn't seem to be affected. I am also working out a ton so like one of the prior posters said, that might be making a difference. I'm trying to stick to whole grains (I've had a piece of whole grain toast a couple times and it went down well) and fruits/veggies for my carbs.

That said, there was an unfortunate struggle this evening with a small baggie of leftover chocolate animal crackers, and I'm sad to say that the animal crackers won. :( Back on track tomorrow morning!