No Bowel Movements...Is this Normal?

14 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I've read many posts on here about people having problems with diarrhea. I haven't had a bowel movement since the day before surgery. I was sleeved on October 5th, only 6 days ago. I'm getting concerned...shouldn't there be some kind of activity? I'm also having a hard time with my Fluid intake. I must drink about 20 to 30 oz of fluids a day. This includes my Water, Protein, Soup, cream of wheat and lots and lots of sugar free popscicles. Did I mention I eat tons of popscicles?!?!

Anyone experience something similar?

Hello All,

I've read many posts on here about people having problems with diarrhea. I haven't had a bowel movement since the day before surgery. I was sleeved on October 5th, only 6 days ago. I'm getting concerned...shouldn't there be some kind of activity? I'm also having a hard time with my Fluid intake. I must drink about 20 to 30 oz of fluids a day. This includes my Water, Protein, soup, cream of wheat and lots and lots of sugar free popscicles. Did I mention I eat tons of popscicles?!?!

Anyone experience something similar?

Usually on day 2 they like to see a BM. Are you passing gas? How much pain med are you taking? Lortab/vicoden can be extremely constipating. My Surgeon has us taking in 64 oz Fluid a day, and if no BM by day 2 Colace an over the counter stool softner. FYI loose or runny the first few time is not a bad thingblink.gif

I had to take a laxative to get started once my body stalled. After that, I took a Fiber supplement (benefiber) with every drink until about 5 months out. I also took a stool softener if I hit the 3rd day and no bm. I am not a fan of constipation, and found that this was important until I could up the fiber in my diet with fresh veggies.

Like you I had a movement the day before surgery. When I was released from the hosiptal I was given Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with coedine) for pain and it's known to cause constipation -- which it did. At my 1 week appointment I told my doctor that I hadn't gone and he suggested Milk of Magnesia. Not "going" after surgery is extremely common... so is watery stools (which I have yet to experience).

I think you'll become more regular when you take in more food. As long as you're passing gas or hearing/feeling rumbles in your lower belly that means your intestines are functioning which is a great thing. Before you know it you'll have stools-a-plenty - LOL.

If you don't go soon, consult with your physician. He/she will guide you with regard to which over the counter medicine to take.

All the best,

Niki

Usually on day 2 they like to see a BM. Are you passing gas? How much pain med are you taking? Lortab/vicoden can be extremely constipating. My Surgeon has us taking in 64 oz Fluid a day, and if no BM by day 2 Colace an over the counter stool softner. FYI loose or runny the first few time is not a bad thingblink.gif

Thanks Shamrock...I do have a bit of gas but no BM yet. I'm taking Oxycodone for pain but I'm decreased my intake. I will have to see if constipation is one of the side effects. Thanks for the advice! :)

Like you I had a movement the day before surgery. When I was released from the hosiptal I was given Tylenol 3 (Tylenol with coedine) for pain and it's known to cause constipation -- which it did. At my 1 week appointment I told my doctor that I hadn't gone and he suggested Milk of Magnesia. Not "going" after surgery is extremely common... so is watery stools (which I have yet to experience).

I think you'll become more regular when you take in more food. As long as you're passing gas or hearing/feeling rumbles in your lower belly that means your intestines are functioning which is a great thing. Before you know it you'll have stools-a-plenty - LOL.

If you don't go soon, consult with your physician. He/she will guide you with regard to which over the counter medicine to take.

All the best,

Niki

Thanks Niki! Have a great day! :)

I had to take a laxative to get started once my body stalled. After that, I took a fiber supplement (benefiber) with every drink until about 5 months out. I also took a stool softener if I hit the 3rd day and no bm. I am not a fan of constipation, and found that this was important until I could up the fiber in my diet with fresh veggies.

Thanks for the advice eureka! I think I'll call my doctor just to make sure things get on track soon! :)

I didn't have a BM for 6 days after surgery! It will happen!