Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what in the world is going on???

For the last week or so I have been HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY ALL THE TIME!!! I feel like I could eat and eat. Also for the past two weeks I have been gaining and losing and gaining the same 1-2 pounds up and down....Geez I'm so frustrated!

Hi

I have been hungry for the last 5 months and have gained back more than 12lb of my original losses. I was sleeved in May 2010.

I went back to my surgeon and discussed it with him. He said nothing. My friend, also sleeved on the same day by the same surgeon,

has been going through the same hunger issues but she is very active and hasn't put back any weight. I wish I could find an answer

too!

I am only 7 weeks out and have been going through the hunger. I have been losing and gaining the same 2 lbs for 2 going on 3 weeks now and I am very frustrated as well. It worried me to hear that you are so far out and having these issues. I guess its good to know and reality of the whole situation. I wish you alot of luck and am very interested in what others will post! Good luck!!!!

Hi Ladies,

I am 3 weeks out and am going through the same thing. Try increasing your workouts (walk, cycling etc.), and decreasing your food intake by 10%.

I am going to try this to see if I can get the scale moving again. I have been bouncing 2lbs for the last week. Doing my best to get to Onederland! 3lbs and I will be there!

I think it's just the body adjusting to the new weight, etc. The old "plateau".

Sometimes you have to shock the body to get the scale moving again.

As far as the hunger,etc. It could just be "Head Hunger". When I first came out of the hospital, ooooweeee I had head hunger like crazy. The foods I was use to, I wanted! But, after wanting that -- I had to tell myself, "My stomach will not hold that stuff". Heck I would PB (and still do) with just too much Water going down too fast, etc.

Soooo...sometimes we have to change our thinking to match what our bodies are doing.

Hope this helps...

If not....stick with asking questions to your PCP.:D

Hi

I have been hungry for the last 5 months and have gained back more than 12lb of my original losses. I was sleeved in May 2010.

I went back to my surgeon and discussed it with him. He said nothing. My friend, also sleeved on the same day by the same surgeon,

has been going through the same hunger issues but she is very active and hasn't put back any weight. I wish I could find an answer

too!

I think you might have answered your own question.. the only difference between you and your friend is she is very active?

Carbs can make you VERY hungry... also some feel hungry when they are actually thirsty... and do measure yourself, I find when I am

very hungry, I may be losing more inches...good luck with that.. 12 pound is nothing to laugh at. If you post your eating and exercise details,

someone here will be happy to comment Im sure. I have been bouncing the same 3 pounds around for 6 weeks... they are driving me a little crazy... I feel for you.

Au contraire

My friend who is in the same position as I am, also has raging hunger, but she doesn't gain because she moves around alot. I accept that my gain is due to my overeating.

But the question is here: what is the cause of the manic Hunger? It's not a head hunger, it feels physically real and didn't start till I was around a year out.

I must say that the "real" hunger is kindda strange to have when that is the 1 thing that was suppose to no longer exists after this surgery.

Things that make you go hummmm....:blink:

Au contraire

My friend who is in the same position as I am, also has raging hunger, but she doesn't gain because she moves around alot. I accept that my gain is due to my overeating.

But the question is here: what is the cause of the manic Hunger? It's not a head hunger, it feels physically real and didn't start till I was around a year out.

I get hungry sometimes too... have from the start. Carbs seem to play a roll.. I do eat more carbs than some here, I am a vegetarian, and many Protein sources come with some carbs too. Some studies show that thirst can masquerade as hunger.

I must say that the "real" hunger is kindda strange to have when that is the 1 thing that was suppose to no longer exists after this surgery.

Ghrelin is also made in other parts of the body. Its production is reduced when the fundus is removed... but not eliminated completely.

http://lowcarb4u.blogspot.com/2010/01/ghrelin-hunger-hormone.html

....Another hormone that plays a role in energy homeostasis is ghrelin, a 28-amino acid peptide discovered in 1999. Its name includes the Proto-Indo-European root word "ghre," meaning "to grow." Ghrelin is produced in the hypothalamus, kidney and pituitary gland, but most of it is synthesized in and released by the stomach. ..

There was a post on this earlier last week, which I contributed to. Are you all taking an acid reducer? I never did, even after surgery. I was fine up until about 8 weeks ago and I was having constant hunger. To the point I'd get headaches and shaky. I read a bit about acid playing a roll in making you think you were hungry when it was actually acid. I purchased generic Prevacid (Prilosec will work, too) took it, and the very next day the hunger and growling and aching stopped. I've been on it about 5 days now and the hunger has not returned. May be worth checking into. I, too, was playing with the same 2 lbs. going up and down. Since starting the Prevacid, I've lost 3 lbs. (not caving into hunger b/c I'm no longer hungry)

I'm close to eight months out, never lost my hunger at all from the surgery. So I've had to learn how to do this wee tummy with a big hungry appetite. Not head hunger (I think I finally figured out what that is though), not acid (PPIs faithfully), not lack of liquid (2-3L per day), etc. Just hungry. All I can say is, you can still totally do this with your appetite intact. Even if you're super hungry, a little bit will still fill you up -- ultimately, that's what makes the difference for me.

I also don't work out, though I walk quite a bit.

Good luck!

Au contraire

I have heard that people who have the by-pass eventually start re-absorbing all of their calories because their bodies adapt to the changes and make up for the malabsorption in other places. Our bodies are remarkably adaptive. I wonder if your body has found a way to start reproducing the "normal" amount of ghrelin again, and now you are experiencing true hunger again. The surgery only removes the majority of the portion of the stomach that produces ghrelin and it is also produced in other parts of the body. So maybe your body is making up for it in other ways.

Good luck!

unfortunately for alot of us, the hunger center (gherlin) doesn't go away with the surgery. my doctor explained to me that alot of the gherlin is in the pancreas as well. . . soooooooooooo with that being said, alot of us have to do the best we can with our "diets" and just know that we have a great TOOL here to help us along. . . I've been fighting the hunger monster since day 1 and it's been 2 years now. . . i've had ups and downs but i am never going to see 350 lbs again and that makes me happy! good luck!

I know my hunger is affected by my TOM. Also, if I am having one of those days. I try and choose dense Protein like beef Jerky to snack on or have a Protein Bar. I also snack on pistachios (but if you have too many, nuts can be counterproductive).