Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you quit smoking?

I had to quit smoking for this surgery. In June, I quit for a month and then wound up going back. I have been quitting for days here or a week there on and off since then. What I want to know, is how did you do it? I know lots of us continued to smoke to keep off weight. That is what made me break at the one month point. I have a few great non-smoking memory's that I am going to keep in my mind. I am wondering what else I can keep in mind or do that can help. I started smoking at 13 and have been smoking for 18 years. I am getting the surgery for my health. That is a ridiculous thing to say if I continue to smoke.

Thanks again

I used the e-cig. I started a year ago. I bought my e-cigs and slowly began to switch over from analogs (regular cigs)

to the e-cig. After I got comfortable vaping instead of smoking- I began to wean myself off nicotine- getting lower doses of nicotine liquids until I was vaping 0mg liquid. It helped me to not have to deal with no nicotine plus the sudden no hand to mouth motion. I actually still vape- and I like it for those times when I have that urge.

I also still feel very comfortable to go stand with the smokers outside with my little vape stick-- previously when I quit smoking I felt very isolated from my friends who smoked because I couldn't stand being around people smoking if I wasn't also. It worked for me.

Cold turkey. But at the time I quit, I was down to about 5 ciggies a day.

Good luck!!

I used gum for about 2 weeks, but it burned my throat. I knew I HAD to quit for surgery so I just gave up the gum and went cold turkey. I have had maybe 3 or 4 puffs from a cigarette since I had surgery 8 weeks ago and I really don't have the desire to smoke at all now (I actually rarely even think about it!). Of course I'm not drinking either, and that's usually my big trigger. I also am not around many smokers so that helps.

I also had to quit smoking, and I also went to an E-cig. Some nicotine, no nicotine, flavored... These little things to me are life-savers, and basically it feels like we are giving up all these little pleasures. Is it worth it? YES. But I also feel like I have a crutch when times are hard. I'm sure a lot would say, 'well, that's not quiting', and maybe it's not, but it's certainly a lot better than inhaling a smokestack.

I smoked for over 21 years and had to quit back in June because my doctor rules are you have to quit three months before surgery. It was very hard the first couple of days because the burn at the back of my throat wasn't as intense or satisfying, and I also couldn't sleep 'right' for about a week. But I kept that stick in my hand and I got through it. I think a lot of it though has to do with oral fixation, or having that stick in between our fingers, and in this way the e-cig helps tremendously because you do get that 'taste'. (Am I making sense?) I've really been hitting mine a lot these past few days because I'm close to my date, and I'll probably keep hitting it hard until then, but there's worse things I could put in my mouth. If you're having trouble quitting, I highly recommend them.

I quit smoking 12/5/10 with Chantix and have never even thought about going back. I smoked for 30 years prior to quitting and didbn't think I could ever quit. I don't think I could have done it without Chantix. Now I have gained 25 lbs since then but now I am ready to be sleeved and lost that 25 plus a lot more. :-)

I also used Chantix, I loved it! I took it for 3 months (no one ever tells you that you can do that-DO THAT!! lol) It stops the nicotine from getting to the receptors in your brain, so when you take it for the first week and still smoke, you don't go through withdrawals. It can give you some funky dreams, and it makes some people's stomaches hurt pretty bad. I didn't have any side effects, but it completely worked for me! It's going to be hard no matter how you do it, good luck!!!

Do you mind telling us how much that E Cig costs? I have a friend that really needs to quit cause of copd. They don't have a lot of money so I was wondering if it's something they can afford.

I know cigarettes are expensive but they do buy the tobacco and make their own.

Quit cold turkey 30 days ago, but gained 14 lbs because I snacked so much. Now I'm over it. What got me to take this seriously was my doctor saying he was going to give me a lab test to make sure I was smoke free. I'm also going to take a class at my hospital. I was told it helps to know about addictive behaviors.

I used the chantix too. My doc wouldn't even talk to me unless I was smoke free for 90 days. But in the end I went back. My sister tried the e-cig and has been smoke free for over a year now. That is my next step, the e-cig once I get to 5-10 lbs past my goal. I love smoking as horrible as that sounds but I know I really need to stop. It is hindering my whole "get healthy" process.

I quit smoking cold turkey many years ago. Its was very difficult. My husband quit this past June with Chantix. It worked great for him. He only took it for a month. The same thing happened with my best friend. They both used it for about a month and have been smoke free ever since (my freind has been quit for about 3 years now! I would reccommend it over cold turkey after seeing the results with my friend and husband.

I quit Jan. 3, 2011 after smoking two packs a day for 32 years. When I was younger and went out drinking, I smoked more sometimes. I signed on to Quit.net and they send you an anniversary email each month. The Quit Smoking Calculator gives the amount you would have smoked, the time you've extended your life, and the money saved. On Oct. 3rd, my 10 month quit date, I had not smoked 10, 872 cigarettes! OMG! I was shocked! I had smoked millions in my lifetime!

I bought one 10 ct box of nicorette gum, just to get me through the first three days. It does burn, but it helped. There have been a few stessful times I thought about having a cigarette, but nothing I couldn't control by simply changing my thoughts. I did try the Chantix six years ago, but got terrible arthritis in one week. My fingers were swollen and I could barely walk. I am one of thousands of people who cannot take Chantix. It has several health risks so be sure and read the side effects.

Today is day 4. I decided that NRT is not for me. It just seems like that would extend the torture. I had my last one Friday night. This means, that as of right now, my system is nicotine free. I quit for quite some time back in June before breaking and going back. I had developed the non-smoking habit for 2 months and screwed it all up. Having a pretty rough weekend so far, but I guess that is my own fault. I feel like I have to give up everything I enjoy. I guess that says something about how unhealthy my most common favorite things are. I just keep thinking how I want my son to develop the good habits as he is growing up, not the habits I currently have....

Stay strong, Ivy! You can quit, forever! It's expensive, on the wallet, and in regards to your health. Drink a lot of liquids. Cranberry juice is good to detox. You could mix it with club soda, Sprite, or dilute with Water. I use to say I would gain weight if I quit smoking. Well, how did I get to be obese smoking in the first place if that were true? There was a woman on another board whose doctor tested her urine for nicotine and would not do surgery if she smoked. It's not just weight loss surgery, other surgeons tell you to quit too! It's to your benefit for healing.

Today is day 5. Lots of people have told me just hang in there a craving only lasts 3 minutes. Well they are full of crap. A craving can last all freaking day long. Yes, I do gain weight when I don't smoke. I can't use that as an excuse anymore since I have been approved for surgery. I will just stop stepping on the scale until that time comes. I need to be careful not to switch addictions, because I have found that having a drink or two gets rid of the cravings pretty well. I did however have an epiphany today. (BTW these thoughts flip between all kinds of healthy lifestyle choices) Here I am, a grown woman who has learned a lot of instant gratification methods to de-stress that are terrible for my health. I realize that even though I was active, my parents never really encouraged me to make activity time a priority. As an adult, I am now teaching the same to my son. Since his birth, the food we keep in the house (overall) is fairly healthy. He walked right by the ice cream in the grocery store the other day and said "you would be the best mommy in the world if you would get me these!" and holds out a bag of Lima Beans. I find that I commonly am too busy to take time for myself. I do NOT want my son to learn this. My husband and I quitting smoking now and adopting a healthier, more active lifestyle not only benefits our son, but our entire lineage. If he lives unhealthy, he will find a girl with similar habits and they will have children that they teach the bad habits we propagated in their father. However, if we teach it now, we could literally be the last generation of smokers in our family and save our genes :) Exercise and a healthy lifestyle in general is one of those things that if you have done it your whole life, you just can't imagine being without it. For example, when you were a kid did you really WANT to brush your teeth? No, but you had to, every day, twice a day. Now, as an adult, could you imagine leaving the house without brushing your teeth? Not having a healthy lifestyle is doing a HUGE injustice to my entire future lineage (like physiological idiocracy). This is the thought I am holding with me when I have an ENTIRE DAY (not 3 minutes) of wanting a cigarette!!! Sorry about the rant, usually my thought organization is better than this, but my brain has been all over since I stopped smoking :(