Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Tortoise and the Hare

I have not posted in quite a long while, but I check the site and read other's posts on a daily basis. My journey thus far has been interesting, at least to me. I have never once regretted my decision to have this procedure. I say interesting because my rate of loss has been much slower than I anticipated and much slower than most others on this site. Slow rates of loss is a new experience for me. In my long yo yo dieting history I have always lost at a fairly quick pace. Now, it never came off nearly as fast as I could put in on, mind you! (Funny how that happens, right?). I have never questioned whether this procedure was the right one for me but I must admit I fell victim to comparing my loss to others posting on the board. It at times did a number on my intellectual understanding and truthfully had me perplexed! But I am proud to say that I am enticingly close to a NORMAL BMI!!! And less than 20 pounds to goal! There was a time or two where I actually questioned whether I was nearing the point where I would not lose any more though I knew I still had a long way to go before I was finished! I am posting tonight especially for other slow losers like myself. Hang tough, keep doing what you know you should be doing and try not to get too caught up in the negative thoughts that can invade your thoughts when comparing your loss pace with others. While slow and steady may not win the race it most assuredly will finish the race! Also, remember the race is not just to get to the finish line but enjoy the journey...to a happier, healthier and longer life. We must keep our heads up and our eyes on te prize...the life we want to live. Healthier, happier and more abundant!

Enjoy the journey and encourage others along the way! I have noticed of myself in past weight loss success that I can become almost self righteous and I have noticed that other former fatties sometimes become that way too. Remember where we started, how we got there and how easily we could be again were it not for this amazing tool. Not much about this process has been easy but imagine how much harder it would be without the tool.

Thank you to all of you who have encouraged me without even knowing that you had. Taking the time and energy to respond to others posts encourages even those like me who don't post that often,

Vickie

Congratulations on your weight loss! Slow and steady really seems best!

Thank you for this post! I needed it this morning. I will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and have lost 11 pounds - most of which was the in the first 2 weeks (lost 20 pounds pre-op). I was feeling like maybe this wasn't going to work for me. Of course, that's pretty crazy thinking since I'm only eating 600-900 calories per day!

I suppose I should be grateful that I'm losing slowly - seems like it would be better for my 50 year old skin!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I have not posted in quite a long while, but I check the site and read other's posts on a daily basis. My journey thus far has been interesting, at least to me. I have never once regretted my decision to have this procedure. I say interesting because my rate of loss has been much slower than I anticipated and much slower than most others on this site. Slow rates of loss is a new experience for me. In my long yo yo dieting history I have always lost at a fairly quick pace. Now, it never came off nearly as fast as I could put in on, mind you! (Funny how that happens, right?). I have never questioned whether this procedure was the right one for me but I must admit I fell victim to comparing my loss to others posting on the board. It at times did a number on my intellectual understanding and truthfully had me perplexed! But I am proud to say that I am enticingly close to a NORMAL BMI!!! And less than 20 pounds to goal! There was a time or two where I actually questioned whether I was nearing the point where I would not lose any more though I knew I still had a long way to go before I was finished! I am posting tonight especially for other slow losers like myself. Hang tough, keep doing what you know you should be doing and try not to get too caught up in the negative thoughts that can invade your thoughts when comparing your loss pace with others. While slow and steady may not win the race it most assuredly will finish the race! Also, remember the race is not just to get to the finish line but enjoy the journey...to a happier, healthier and longer life. We must keep our heads up and our eyes on te prize...the life we want to live. Healthier, happier and more abundant!

Enjoy the journey and encourage others along the way! I have noticed of myself in past weight loss success that I can become almost self righteous and I have noticed that other former fatties sometimes become that way too. Remember where we started, how we got there and how easily we could be again were it not for this amazing tool. Not much about this process has been easy but imagine how much harder it would be without the tool.

Thank you to all of you who have encouraged me without even knowing that you had. Taking the time and energy to respond to others posts encourages even those like me who don't post that often,

Vickie

Congratulations on all you have accomplished! I really find alot of encouragement on this board too. Lots of wonderful, generous people here willing to share their experiences. Thanks for your post!

Thank you for this post, I really needed to hear this today. I have been feeling a little discouraged since I have not lost my hunger and seem to be losing slower than others...but at least I am losing! You really made me feel more positive, thank you again!

Vickie

Hey Vickie....

YEY TO ALL THE SLOW LOSERS.... Sometimes I feel like the queen of slow, but like you so rightly said, slow will finish the race. I love your positive attitude... I have had thoughts very similar to yours over the last 14mths... hit a 'black place', picked myself up, dusted myself off, tried on my 'fat trousers' and stopped comparing myself to others and beating myself up about not getting to goal by the year marker... that was a moment of clarity I can tell you. It dawned on me that I have NEVER lost as much as I have... and it is for keeps! You are right when you say it is a journey to health and happiness... and that shouldn't be dictated by the scales.

Congrats on an amazing achievement so far, I know you will get to goal... and I am a tad envious of your BMI...lol... keep up the good work! =]

This is an excellent post. Thank you for reminding all of us that it is OKAY to lose a little bit slower... though in my personal opinion you really aren't losing that much slow at all.

Stay the course and you will get to goal. There is no way you won't!

Hey, we had the same surgery date! I can totally relate to what you said about your feelings. I have a lot to lose still, and technically according to everyone else, I should be losing way faster since I started as a higher BMI. I have to constantly remind myself we all lose in different ways and at a different pace. While the scales are moving slow as molasses for me, my clothes get looser all the time, I feel great, my blood sugar glucose is within normal range and I'm off my Type 2 Diabetes meds, my mobility has improved so much it's unreal to me to be able to go into stores and be able to walk around as much as I want, and for as long as I want without being in pain. This has been an amazing journey and I love my sleeve. I enjoyed your post, you are doing great, congrats!!

:)

Well done on the weight loss, I'd agree with Diva, you have done BRILLIANTLY considering you were sleeved May, I have a 4 month head start on you and am still chipping away at it, with a stone still to go! We will get there though!

I'd like to add one more thought (stolen from Baz Lurman's Sunscreen) "The race is long, and in the end it is only with ourselves" - So weather slow and steady wins the race, or just ultimately gets us to the finishing line, I'll gladly take it! ;)

Good luck with the final stretch.

Thank you to all of you for the responses to my post. I am glad that I could share some thoughts on my journey and provide some words of encouragement to others for a change. It occurred to me before posting that I get so much encouragement from others posts what if everyone were like me and just took it all in without putting anything out there. I wanted to give back some of what if have received here. We all need to be there for each other. When i first started this journey and was scared, confused and overwhelmed I turned to the board with questions, concerns and an occasional "whine" session and like a true friend this board was always there for me. When those initial fears were calmed and life began to settle down to the new normal I stopped posting. I realized that was very selfish of me and wanted to take the time to give back a little. Thank you to the frequent posters and the very dependable cheerleaders...you all know who you are, We can always count on each of you to be there to pick us up, cheer us on and share yourself with all of us! I hope that I can be at least a fraction of the inspiration that all of you are. Good luck to all of you as you continue on this lifelong journey and congratulations to all on your success so far! As the old carpenters song said, "We have only just begun!"

Vickie

Thank you so very much for posting today. I think in this Journey that we all get frustrated with our changing bodies. I totally think that your post needs to be pinned as we all go through this from time to time. Its so hard to look back from where we have come, epically when we are concentrating on where we are going in our sleeve journey.

Whether you believe it or not you are a cheerleader fro the rest of us thank you for that.

Thank you so much for your positive thoughts and encouragement. You are doing awesome!!