Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Oct 26th and need some help

Hello All,

I am 32 years old and I am scheduled for sleeve surgery on the 26th of October. I am excited to be starting a new chapter in my life but I have some questions about what to expect right after surgery since my mind seems to keep forgetting there is a section between the surgery and looking and feeling good. The funny thing is that I am a nurse but I have always worked in Emergency rooms never on the inpatient floors so I only see the people who have problems with surgeries (any surgery not just bariatric) and I don't actually see the recovery part. My question is this, how much pain should I expect and for how long? I have never even broken a bonem I have been really lucky to never really need the services which I provide :) so I am really unsure what to expect. I would like to know what it is going to feel like when I wake up after surgery and what to expect as far as energy, I have heard people are exhausted for quite some time after. I am planning on going back to work 20 days after surgery but my boss is wonderful and has told me to call if I need longer and also to talk to my HR rep about short term disability. What have people experienced going back to work and such? I would love detailed responses and don't be afraid to be brutally honest and descriptive, remember I see the worst of the worst so you won't offend me :)

thanks so much for considering and letting me introduce myself.

I am just over two months out. I have no pain at all now, and had little after the first few days. I have lost about 45 - 50 pounds - I only weigh myself about once a week, and look tons better - to myself anyway. The riskiest part of getting the sleeve is the surgery itself. It is absolutely crucial to get an experienced, quality doctor - working in a hospital - with a very low rate of complications. Don't, don't, don't go to Tijuana for your sleeve, and research thoroughly ANY (US, too) doctor that you are thinking of using. As you work in a hospital, you KNOW that there are the good and the bad doctors. Make sure that yours is a good one with 500 or more sleeves under his/her belt. It is very sensible that you have provided time for your self after surgery. Most people rush to it, through it, and back to their normal lives. You probably won't need twenty days or even ten, but it is good to prepare. Good luck.

Hello All,

I am 32 years old and I am scheduled for sleeve surgery on the 26th of October. I am excited to be starting a new chapter in my life but I have some questions about what to expect right after surgery since my mind seems to keep forgetting there is a section between the surgery and looking and feeling good. The funny thing is that I am a nurse but I have always worked in Emergency rooms never on the inpatient floors so I only see the people who have problems with surgeries (any surgery not just bariatric) and I don't actually see the recovery part. My question is this, how much pain should I expect and for how long? I have never even broken a bonem I have been really lucky to never really need the services which I provide :) so I am really unsure what to expect. I would like to know what it is going to feel like when I wake up after surgery and what to expect as far as energy, I have heard people are exhausted for quite some time after. I am planning on going back to work 20 days after surgery but my boss is wonderful and has told me to call if I need longer and also to talk to my HR rep about short term disability. What have people experienced going back to work and such? I would love detailed responses and don't be afraid to be brutally honest and descriptive, remember I see the worst of the worst so you won't offend me :)

Thank you so much for your advice, my surgeon is really good, he is at my hospital which is nice because I know him a collegue and as a surgeon so I feel comfortable with him and he has a really good track record.

I had my surgery at 9am Sept. 23.... 9 days ago. My next coherent thought was at 2pm that afternoon. I was immediately aware of the terrible pain in my left shoulder that I had been warned about. The pain in my shoulder was strong enough that my brain didn't register any other pain... in my stomach or anything. The nurse was in the room with me and I asked if I could go to the bathroom. She said of course- and I was surprised to find that I could get up and walk over to the bathroom myself. The nurse saw that I was fine and left the room. On my way back to the bed I decided to pace my room for a few minutes- hoping to relieve the shoulder gas pain (unfortunately didn't get any relief). Back in the bed it was hard to think of anything other than the pain-- I couldn't read a magazine, watch tv or anything-- they were there-- but I could only think about the pain.

I would compare the pain to a really sharp leg cramp (but in your shoulder obviously). We've all probably felt the level of pain before-- and coped with it-- but only for 10-15 minutes. Having this pain for about 30 hours strait made is what really made it so bad.

So back to the story... I got back in to bed after the bathroom and squirmed/moand for about 15 minutes. Then I called the nurse and begged for pain medicine-- she said I already had what she could give me and I think I was due for more in like 2 hours. That sounded like eternity. I would have thought the pain was too much for me to fall asleep but, miraculously I must have fallen asleep. Next the surgeon woke me up about 4 to check on me. I told him the pain was intolerable. He was sympathetic but said it was completely standard and he couldn't give me more pain medicine. His position is that its important to be able to feel pain unless something really is wrong those first few days.... he was great in every way except this one... my advice is to find out your surgeon's position on post surgery pain control- before the surgery.

i asked him if he would give me something to sleep- if not for the pain-- and he said "sure, no problem". With that-- I made it through the two nights in the hospital pretty much just by having the pain and sleep medication staggered- so that when I was awake-- I was generally less than an hour away from my next dose of relief-- in either form. (the pain medication obviously made me sleepy too.... so I was either asleep or awake and thinking only about the shoulder pain for the first 24 hours).

I have heard that the pain medicine doesn't necessarily work for the shoulder pain--- I'm not sure if that's true-- but, it worked enough to put me to sleep-- so relief is relief.

By the day after surgery- I had some periods with no significant pain- and other times where the shoulder was in full force. I really don't remember having any internal or external stomach pain.... maybe some stomach gas.

I was able to get up and go to the bathroom, walk around, whatever without any trouble-- and it was a good distraction from the pain.

The 2nd night in the hospital- I was still counting the minutes till my next dose of something. When I woke up the next morning though-- that was the first time I was able to just kind of lounge in the bed-- with minimal thought about the pain. I was out of the hospital mid-day-- was driven to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions-- and pretty much could be out in the world functioning-- just moving slow and hiding the drains.

When I woke up the next morning-- the pain really has been minimal sense. I had my surgery on a Friday and worked a full day of work on Wednesday--- more time off would have been better--- but, it was okay. Nobody at work knows I had surgery-- and no one suspected itbased on my ability to function wednesday.

Since then- its just been better and better every day--- except yesterday- a week after surgery-- my stitch areas got super itchy and rashy--- horrible pain-- but, soothable.... stitches coming out tomorrow-- hoping that alleviates things.

I also still get 10 second bursts of the shoulder pain every few hours-- but, its quick. And when I have drunk or eaten anything too fast or too much- I have a few minutes of stomach pain-- then it passes.

I've had kidney stones, and given birth-- so, I've had some pain. I would say in summary that for about 36 hours- I had a level of pain that i would certainly not want to repeat-- and had me question the surgery. But by 48 hours-- everything was fine. I haven't even felt the exhaustion I had heard about-- I'm fine.

Hope that gives some insight-- it was cleansing to write it all down. And I do want to share the tip with everyone to ask their doctor what their view on pain management is post surgery.

I am a self professed wimp. Bloodwork scares me. C-section,...ouwwe. Kidney stone....hit me over the head please so I can be knocked out. VSG - uncomfortable but no real pain.

Last year I had VSG surgery as an outpatient procedure which is becoming more common. Went home and slept in my own bed that night. No nurse poking me at all hours, taking my vitals, no catheder, no morphine, no noises from outside and as you are aware worrying about infection.

Now, did I have pain? No, but as mentioned before by another poster, my shoulders felt like someone had tried to pull my arms out of the sockets. I was given pain perscription prior to surgery which I filled. Used it once to sleep since I could not sleep on my side or stomach and my days/nights were all mixed up. I had gurggling stomach that first week and used a heating pad plus a perscribed anti acid. At home I used a recliner to live in for the first several days. Slept there too since I was more comfortable in a semi sitting up position. My biggest compalint was an adverse reaction to anthestia to where I retched for almost two days.

Good luck and talk to your surgeon about pain management if you are really concerned. Good luck. I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

Ohmygosh, that's awful that they wouldn't give you more pain meds! I have to say my doctors and nurses were great with pain control. As soon as I opened my eyes they asked me if I needed anything. Definitely yes....lol They set me up with the "button" I could push when I needed it, and then I would blissfully surrender to sleep for that first day and a half. After that, I no longer needed the pain meds very much, and just walked the halls until they released me later the second day. I do remember the shoulder pain too, and had a similar thing when I had my C Sections...it hurt but passed within a few days.

I had my surgery at 9am Sept. 23.... 9 days ago. My next coherent thought was at 2pm that afternoon. I was immediately aware of the terrible pain in my left shoulder that I had been warned about. The pain in my shoulder was strong enough that my brain didn't register any other pain... in my stomach or anything. The nurse was in the room with me and I asked if I could go to the bathroom. She said of course- and I was surprised to find that I could get up and walk over to the bathroom myself. The nurse saw that I was fine and left the room. On my way back to the bed I decided to pace my room for a few minutes- hoping to relieve the shoulder gas pain (unfortunately didn't get any relief). Back in the bed it was hard to think of anything other than the pain-- I couldn't read a magazine, watch tv or anything-- they were there-- but I could only think about the pain.

I would compare the pain to a really sharp leg cramp (but in your shoulder obviously). We've all probably felt the level of pain before-- and coped with it-- but only for 10-15 minutes. Having this pain for about 30 hours strait made is what really made it so bad.

So back to the story... I got back in to bed after the bathroom and squirmed/moand for about 15 minutes. Then I called the nurse and begged for pain medicine-- she said I already had what she could give me and I think I was due for more in like 2 hours. That sounded like eternity. I would have thought the pain was too much for me to fall asleep but, miraculously I must have fallen asleep. Next the surgeon woke me up about 4 to check on me. I told him the pain was intolerable. He was sympathetic but said it was completely standard and he couldn't give me more pain medicine. His position is that its important to be able to feel pain unless something really is wrong those first few days.... he was great in every way except this one... my advice is to find out your surgeon's position on post surgery pain control- before the surgery.

i asked him if he would give me something to sleep- if not for the pain-- and he said "sure, no problem". With that-- I made it through the two nights in the hospital pretty much just by having the pain and sleep medication staggered- so that when I was awake-- I was generally less than an hour away from my next dose of relief-- in either form. (the pain medication obviously made me sleepy too.... so I was either asleep or awake and thinking only about the shoulder pain for the first 24 hours).

I have heard that the pain medicine doesn't necessarily work for the shoulder pain--- I'm not sure if that's true-- but, it worked enough to put me to sleep-- so relief is relief.

By the day after surgery- I had some periods with no significant pain- and other times where the shoulder was in full force. I really don't remember having any internal or external stomach pain.... maybe some stomach gas.

I was able to get up and go to the bathroom, walk around, whatever without any trouble-- and it was a good distraction from the pain.

The 2nd night in the hospital- I was still counting the minutes till my next dose of something. When I woke up the next morning though-- that was the first time I was able to just kind of lounge in the bed-- with minimal thought about the pain. I was out of the hospital mid-day-- was driven to the pharmacy to pick up my prescriptions-- and pretty much could be out in the world functioning-- just moving slow and hiding the drains.

When I woke up the next morning-- the pain really has been minimal sense. I had my surgery on a Friday and worked a full day of work on Wednesday--- more time off would have been better--- but, it was okay. Nobody at work knows I had surgery-- and no one suspected itbased on my ability to function wednesday.

Since then- its just been better and better every day--- except yesterday- a week after surgery-- my stitch areas got super itchy and rashy--- horrible pain-- but, soothable.... stitches coming out tomorrow-- hoping that alleviates things.

I also still get 10 second bursts of the shoulder pain every few hours-- but, its quick. And when I have drunk or eaten anything too fast or too much- I have a few minutes of stomach pain-- then it passes.

I've had kidney stones, and given birth-- so, I've had some pain. I would say in summary that for about 36 hours- I had a level of pain that i would certainly not want to repeat-- and had me question the surgery. But by 48 hours-- everything was fine. I haven't even felt the exhaustion I had heard about-- I'm fine.

Hope that gives some insight-- it was cleansing to write it all down. And I do want to share the tip with everyone to ask their doctor what their view on pain management is post surgery.

thank you all so much for the detailed replies they are incredibly helpful to me :)

@Chilljill - I am so sorry you were in so much pain the first couple of days, I have heard that reasoning about being able to feel pain to tell if something is wrong from doctors (usually surgeons of course) but there is a line between being able to feel the pain and being in agony. Thank you so much for all the detail I feel very prepared now and I will definitely talk to my surgeon when I see him on Wednesday about pain control. If you were my patient I would not have let you be that uncomfortable, that what drugs are for!! :)

This practice of placing the burden of pain on the patient is so 'old school' it is almost criminal. Pain management is a measure of the modern, up-to-date techniques and training of the doctor. Pain medicine is cheap, and the excuse of needing your pain to gauge the effectiveness of their surgery or problems of surgery is just a poor justification for not have to bother with it. I would avoid any doctor that doesn't or can't address this important part of medical treatment.

Hi,

I had my surgery on May 17 at Kaiser Fremont. I am 54 yrs old, weighed 222 and I am 5'6". The Dr. repaired a small, undiagnosed hiatal hernia while he was in there. My outside stitches were the dissolving type and by the time my steristrips fell off, they were long gone.

I found the pain medication at the hospital and at home (generic liquid lortab) effective as long as I didn't put pressure on my tummy. It hurt when I sat up or twisted, but not as long as I laid still, sat still, or even while walking.

I was able to sip and walk as soon as I was allowed. I didn't pick stuff up off the floor for several days and I slept propped with pillows to mimic a hospital bed with my knees and upper back raised for about a week.

I had discomfort- not pain. My stomach rumbled like a mac truck was driving through it. I felt tired, weak, and like I had been slugged in the stomach. I had diarrhea for about the first two weeks. I discovered I was lactose-intolerant following surgery (fairly common, but it goes away for most people after a few months), and when I gave up all milk products except yogurt, the diarrhea slacked off to 2-3 times per day, slowly returning to normal for me (once a day).

I think 20 days will probably be enough time off, but you will be pooped after getting off work, so if you have home responsibilities, do whatever you can to make them easier on yourself.

Everyone heals differently, so you are likely to hear a wide range of pain levels, tiredness levels, and complications after surgery. If you don't get enough responses to see a variety of information, poke around on the boards for older posts about this topic. Many people check in often in the days following surgery, so you can read their thoughts about the process as they were going through it.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Lynda

Hello All,

Hi There! I was sleeved in the UK on Aug 18th 2011,

I found the pain was o.k better than I thought, I just was retching quite alot afterwards and seemed full of air!! this got better over the first few hours and I had good pain relief!! (remember you get no medals for putting up with pain!)

I just think you have to have good communication with your nursing team, I had the most amazing post op nurse and although I felt rough se was with me thoughout.

I am now at 7 weeks post op, and 2lb shy of loosing 2 stone , I have bought new clothes and feel amazing.

So chin up and go for it... you will be great and feel fitter in a realatively short space of time.

Best wishes

Ann

Hello,

I am also a nurse however am a psychiatric nurse I just had my gastric sleeve done on the 19th of September am 15 days post op. I can honestly say that I did not feel any pain from the laproscopy procedure. What I did not expect or was told about was how nauseated I would feel as well as have dry heaves. But the day of surgery for me was early in the morning I was in my room by noon then with in about 2 hours I was up walking I can honestly say that I was very tried felt like all my energy was gone, but walking was not a a problem. I was in the hospital for 3 days then went home I did some walking up and down the street I can say for the first time I was not breathing heavily as I was walking which felt great :) I was off work for a week during that time I did feel exhausted and tried , but it has gotten better since I was walking twice a day for about 20 minutes each time. I went back to work on 28 th of September and I can honesty say that i have not had any problems being back at work I have consciously made a effort to walk more at work and stand more am not as tried as I was last week I think that am building my strength back I have been riding my statuary bike for 45 minutes a day now. I know that you will do great on her journey.

I had sleeve surgery Aug1,2011. Did not experience any Pain except for the first few hours after surgery and the pain med they gave thru the IV were enought to take care of that. Was lucky never experienced the shoulder /gas pain that others spoke of, so I think everyone is different. I experienced exteme nauseousness from all the IV antibiodics that they give you. I kept getting meds for that. Spent an extra day in the hospital due to that. When I went home my I had no problems, the incisions healed quickly, had no pain, and was so surprise that I was never hungry, never. Important to follow the diet (water/fluid) set by your doctor so you do not get dehydrated.