Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did my dreaded stall come early?!! :-(

This Monday will make 3 wks since my surgery. This past wk, the scale hasn't moved at all!!! I am worried. I went to my nutritionist this week and I only lost 2lbs in 9 days and about 10lbs since surgery. I lost about 12lbs on my own before surgery. In total, I'm down 22 lbs which is great but I expected to loose more after surgery, naturally!!

I dont know what to do. Im getting under 800 calories in, about 50g of Protein, walking, and drink around 5 cups of Water a day. Im tryin my best to follow the rules. I'm not indulging in any bad foods, yet the scale isn't moving! The nutritionist told me not to worry and that I am doing well.

Did my dreaded stall come early??? :-(

Btw, the good news is, I lost a couple inches, my face is smaller, some of my old clothes fit again and some ppl have noticed the weight loss! Maybe I am too focused on the scale but I can't help it :-/

1. I am three weeks post op on Monday and the scale hasn't moved for me in six days either. I have only lost nine pounds in three weeks, and lost waaaaaaaay more pre-surgery as well. At this point I am in regret land and just wish I never did this. I assume it will fail like everything else I have tried. I'm completely over it all to be honest.

I lost 19 pounds my first week post op. But the scale hasn't moved for me either in almost a week. I know my body is holding on to everything cuz it feels like it's in starvation mode. Give it a little time and I bet you see a big drop soon! Don't give up, keep hanging in there.

The scale is fickle. As you've already done, look for other ways to document your loss as well. Here are a few ideas:

• photographing yourself in the same outfit from the front, back and side at regularly intervals
  • take measurements
  • cross (or attempt to cross) your legs.Note where your foot is -- is it pointing up in the air? After a while, do it again and see if it is coming down.
  • consider your energy levels
  • pay attention to your breathing when walking and/or climbing stairs -- how much huffing and puffing is going on and does it get better?
  • notice how your clothes fit. Where are they looser? (I've had shirts that were tight that are now loose and billow around me.)

When you weigh yourself, do it the same way every time. This includes the same time of day, wearing the same thing, placing the scale in the same spot on the floor, and making sure your feet are on the same spot on the scale. This will help you get consistent readings.

I hope this gives you a few ideas.

Personally, I recently gained a couple of pounds. The scale wasn't moving in the right direction. I reevaluated what I was eating (I had let some excess carbs slip into my diet). I upped my intake of Fluid and increased my activity/exercise. I still haven't been able to record an overall loss, but I have lost those two pounds I put on, and I think I am finally headed in the right direction again. Even with my struggles with the scale, I have had other successes including getting into a size 16 jeans that are loose. I was wearing size 20 (tight) when I started this journey in July.

Shalon...my VSG sibling! I am sorry to hear you are stuggling with your decision. Although, you may feel a little discouraged, do not let it get the best of you. I am sure that, with time and the proper eating, we will start loosing again. I really think my body is rebelling. I am eating the proper amount of foods. I am sure you are too. Our bodies are just in shock. I knew this may happen but it still feels a little disheartening. Don't give up! Just keep doing the right thing and the scale will eventually move. I don't plan on giving up.

From what I have read on here, may people experience this, and some feel regretful, for a number of reasons, in the beginning. Then within a few months out, they are super happy with their decision and wouldn't change it for the world. I am hoping the same thing happens with me.

Suez, thanks for the positive words and good luck. When did you have your surgery?

LindaS, thanks for all the good tips. I def notice a difference in my clothes. I am fiting things I couldnt fit at all, a month ago. I noticed a change in pics too. I am proud of all of this. I just want to see this on the scale too. I haven't lost any inches this week tho. I plan to take a pic in the same clothes, on my one month surgery date.

On thing I am sure I need to work on is my Fluid intake. I only drink five cups a day. I also need to get more Protein in.

I do pray that this all turns around, but at this point I can't get anything down. Everything makes me feel ill. Soup, pudding, Jello, cheese, no matter what I try, it makes me sick. I don't vomit but I have to lie down til it passes, or else I feel like I am going to pass out.

The dreaded "3 week stall" will end- don't worry, it does for pretty much everyone! I also hit that stall pretty early at 2 weeks post op and stayed around 200-202 for 3 weeks. Just recently has the scale dropped. I finally dropped to 198.6 and broke into Onederland on 9/17. I weighed myself today and I'm down to 193.3!

The slowed weight loss can be discouraging- I had dropped 20 lbs in less than 2 weeks and then, BAM! - no weight loss. I realistically couldn't expect to lose 2 lbs a day for the rest of my weight loss journey. I lost over 30 lbs in less than 2 months, so I try to keep in mind that I would have NEVER lost that completely on my own. Especially in such a short period of time!

I've lost over a third of my EWL. Stalls are terrible, but they happen. I don't want to stay at 193.3, but I am so much happier with my body now. My self image has improved greatly. At 7 weeks post-op, this is a great accomplishment for me. My clothes are baggier, and I can wear my old shirts that I had gotten too fat to wear comfortably. People have noticed I've lost weight- including all the people who didn't know I had surgery.

Everyone's experience is different, and with the sleeve our weight loss will be slower than people who had the DS or RNY. Comparing our weight loss to other people is a double-edged sword; it's inspiring, but can also cause us to doubt ourselves and our own achievements.

@ Shalon - I am sure your body will adapt over time. When do you go see the doctor?

@ Kala - You are doing great. I am happy to hear that your stall has eneded. Good job.

I weghted myself this morning and I am down 3 lbs. That is the first time the scale moved in one week. I am pleased!!

Hate to say it, but if you're typical you're going to have LOTS of stalls and LOTS of periods where the weight just melts off. The important thing is to learn to be patient and not obsess over the scale too much. If you eat right (Protein first, small portions, chew chew chew), drink lots of Water, and exercise, the weight WILL melt away, but you have to be patient.

Easier said than done, I know...

Lovey - I am so happy your stall has broken! Mine is seven days strong, and as a matter of fact, I have gained a pound and a half... so three weeks post surgery I have lost..... wait for it............eight pounds....

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Ouro!

Shalon, I am rooting for you!! Just keep following the program and the scale will move eventually! Keep me posted and I am here if u need someone to talk to.

1. I am three weeks post op on Monday and the scale hasn't moved for me in six days either. I have only lost nine pounds in three weeks, and lost waaaaaaaay more pre-surgery as well. At this point I am in regret land and just wish I never did this. I assume it will fail like everything else I have tried. I'm completely over it all to be honest.

at shalon

don't be regretful, you have just started it will happen for you trust me and i have not been sleeved and most likely will not be due to finances. i would love to be in your shoes right now three weeks post op. remember your body is still adjusting to have major surgery and the scale will move. at least yu are not like me working out like a dog and eating all the things i don't want to eat just to lose five pounds i working hard just to get that five pounds and you lose more than that just by your intake alone. it will come stay hopeful.

I'm now 3 months out and I want to encourage you all. My first 2 weeks after surgery, I lost only 10 lbs. Then I stalled for 3-4 weeks and thought that the surgery didn't work for me. I was so discouraged. But then my stall broke and over a week and a half I dropped 15 lbs. Then another stall for 2-4 weeks... I can't even remember how long the stall was now because I've had so many. Lol but I will tell you this, I lost 25 lbs during preop and now 3 months post op, I'm down a total of 68 lbs. It seemed to fall off super slow but in reality, it fell off at the speed of light. Mind you that I'm only 3 months post op but I only have 7 more pounds to go to meet my 6 month goal which was to lose 50% of my excess weight. I started at 280 lbs before I did the preop diet and am now down to 212 lbs. I'm 5'4". Yes, I know, I need to update my ticker. I've blogged all about my ups and downs and those sorry stalls. Today I updated my blog with a couple of pictures that were taken over the weekend. These pictures shocked me because I still felt absolutely huge and had no idea what I was actually looking like.

Hang in there! It will happen for you too. It's very normal to go through lots of stalls.

Thanks for the encouragement Penpen. Your story most certainly gives me hope. 68 lbs in 3 months is ooutstanding. Congratulations and keep up the good work. I hope I will be able to say I have lost nearly that much in 3 months.