Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 of New Journey

Hi all, I am new to this site. I had surgery Tuesday afternoon and came home from the hospital yesterday. I feel like I am doing really well, but have a little cough that sends me through the roof with my belly being cut up. Whew... Everything else went really well. I have had some emotional ups and downs, wondering if this was the right thing and what the heck did I do to myself, but today I feel more positive. I slept in the recliner all night and actually slept really well. I know there is no way I can get into my bed, well, I could probably get in, but never back out! I am not really starving, and everything seems to be going down and moving fine. Lots of girgling, but no pain with drinking. When I thought about this surgery I think I was thinking of the outcome, the results, how I will feel etc, not the actual surgery and pain the first week, so a little depressed about that, but time will heal all. I just wanted to introduce myself and would welcome any wisdom from those who are further out than me and any ideas for positive thinking... I started my process on April 21st and had my surgery September 27th at the University of Minnesota. Thanks for listening! Looking forward to talking with you all and reading your blogs.

Congrats on being sleeved!!! You did it!!!!

Hi all, I am new to this site. I had surgery Tuesday afternoon and came home from the hospital yesterday. I feel like I am doing really well, but have a little cough that sends me through the roof with my belly being cut up. Whew... Everything else went really well. I have had some emotional ups and downs, wondering if this was the right thing and what the heck did I do to myself, but today I feel more positive. I slept in the recliner all night and actually slept really well. I know there is no way I can get into my bed, well, I could probably get in, but never back out! I am not really starving, and everything seems to be going down and moving fine. Lots of girgling, but no pain with drinking. When I thought about this surgery I think I was thinking of the outcome, the results, how I will feel etc, not the actual surgery and pain the first week, so a little depressed about that, but time will heal all. I just wanted to introduce myself and would welcome any wisdom from those who are further out than me and any ideas for positive thinking... I started my process on April 21st and had my surgery September 27th at the University of Minnesota. Thanks for listening! Looking forward to talking with you all and reading your blogs.

You are absolutely right about how most of us thought PAST the surgery and fantasized about recovery and weight loss..........I did the same thing and was AMAZED at how badly I was hurting on the first day after surgery. I remember thinking to myself that I would NEVER try to convince someone else to have this surgery (but I WOULD highly recommend it), because I would have felt SO resentful if the decision was not totally MY OWN to have this done. But after a few days I was feeling WONDERFUL, I realized that this surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself. I have to admit that it has been quite an adjustment, but I knew that going in. The first two weeks on liquids was not as hard as I thought it would be. The "mushies" week was GROSS to me, because I HATE that consistency.....and now, my doctor wants us to eat mainly Protein with a TINY amount of fruits and certain non-starchy veggies. My doctor won't allow us to eat any Beans, for example, for 6 months. I realize from reading things here, that most doctors are not this way, but my doctor is very "hands-on" and he and his nutritionist told me that it is more of a psychological reasoning on their part. They want us to learn to try to get most of our Protein from meats, and not vegetables because the protein is quicker and easier for the body to absorb, and most people do not eat enough protein. They want to make sure we do not become malnourished. I must admit, that I am SICK of meat at this point and would LOVE to eat normal food. I am just 5 1/2 weeks out now, so I have quite a ways to go before I can eat certain foods. I seem to be losing about 5 lbs. a week so far. But for some reason, I have not lot that much this week yet. I am happy with my weight loss so far. People are really starting to notice, which makes me feel good and rather uncomfortable at the same time.

The only slight problem that I have had, is that I have always been SUPER "regular" with the bowels....and now, I only have BM's every 4 or 5 days. So I have had to add Benefiber and it makes me gassy. Hopefully all will regulate itself soon. I am not eating much Fiber....so....it figures that I would have problems. Keep your chin up....FOLLOW your Dr.s rules, and in a few weeks you will feel GREAT! I promise!

Keep in touch! And congrats!

Cay

Hi everyone,I'm also new to this site.I'm on my liquid diet now and scheduled for surgery on October 3rd.I guess it's nice to find out ahead of time that there will be some pain.At least I won't be so surprised after when I do have have pain.I too have only been thinking about down the line,not immediately.So thanks for the heads up.^_^

Congradulations and welcome to the group. You are going to love being sleeved.

Well, I'm new to this site also I also had my Surgery Tuesday Sept. 27th,2011, everything you posted is exactly how everything is falling in to place for me!! lucky you haven't had any pain with drinking or eating , I have inflamation in my new stomach and I can feel everything, it is very uncomfortable. Keep your head up it gets better is what everybody keeps saying!! TO KEEP MYSELF MOTIVATED I KEEP TELLING MYSELF, IN ONE YEAR I WILL BE ABLE TO GO HIKING WITH MY FAMILY AGAIN!! AND EVERY DAY I KEEP ADDING A NEW THING I WILL BE ABLE TO DO IN A YEAR, I wish you the best and message me any time so we can keep up on eachothers progress !!!!

Congrats on being sleeved!!! You did it!!!!

First and foremost Congratulations!!!!

I started my process back in January then canceled and rescheduled by March. I just was sleeved on Wed the 28th of Sept. I too never thought about the recovery I more less thought of the outcome. It has not been too hard, I too slept on the recliner since I've been home Friday. However it's starting to hurt my bottom. So I may try my bed tonight. I didn't have too many issues other than while in the hospital on Thurs found out I was allergic to Morphine. Once that got under control all has been well. I have had one emotional break down, thinking why did I do this to myself...but over come it quickly. I am very thankful to have this procedure and going into it I had a dry cough it got worse with the oxygen and it's still around...driving me CRAZY! I'm sure your holding a pillow against you when you cough if not try it it really helps with the discomfort. If the cough would just go away my life would be a little better, but to top it off today I feel like I'm coming down with a head cold. I hope not and continue to take my vitamins...praying I fight it off. I have not taken much of the Vicodin they gave me maybe a whole 3 pills since I've been home and that's just to help me sleep at night :) Hope you have a speedy recovery!! I can't wait to get to stage II and III foods I'm getting a little tired of the Clear Liquids and can't wait to drink my Protein Shakes from Unjury.< /span>

Hi all..I was sleeved on the 26th and had a bit of a self pity party for a couple of days! I knew it would be bad but I didn't expect so much abdominal discomfort from the actual cuts.. my sleeve feels fine and has from the beginning. I've been able to get liquids in all along with some gassy discomfort but yesterday on day 6 I took a turn for the better. What a difference a week makes! I feel almost normal again and will try sleeping in the bed tonight! Coughing was torture and every sneeze I felt come on I'd force away :blink: Every day is better and every day I feel happier about the decision...

I was sleeved thursday 9/29 I just got off the tractor from mowing the grass. I feel great. The more you do, the easier it gets to do it! Congrats!!!