Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi Phyl,

Oh boy I tried to get on here too....I really missed it!!

A friend of mine told me that if I get banded I will tranfer my eating addiction to either alcholism or nymphomania.....good grief, I can't believe someone started that rumor!!!

Have you heard it?

Carol

Hmmmm think my man wouldn't mind the nympho addiction. That is as long as I stayed home.

Exsersize can become a transfer addiction. That would be a good one to have. People can become quit addicted to it and it's a healthy one to have.

It's true and they have done tv shows about it. People who are used to turning to food when they need comfort or whatever, have been becoming addicted to other things. For some it's gambling, drinking or shopping etc. Some of the people who have never had the opposite sex pay attention to them because they have been fat all their lives, do become a little wild and start having sex with mulitple partners.

Hi Phyl,

Oh boy I tried to get on here too....I really missed it!!

A friend of mine told me that if I get banded I will tranfer my eating addiction to either alcholism or nymphomania.....good grief, I can't believe someone started that rumor!!!

Have you heard it?

Carol

I've read where alcoholics do that. That if you go to AA meetings, there's always a huge urn of coffee and an overflowing ashtray outside the door. I think the theory is if you have an addictive personality, you'll trade in one vice for another.

However, that said...I quit smoking so I could have this surgery. I've tried to quit many times before, but apparently didn't want to bad enough (and thankfully, now there's Chantix!). I haven't replaced my cigs w/ anything, although I still want one about once a day. I also gave up diet cokes for the surgery and haven't replaced those w/ anything either. My hubbling always said he was sure if I ever needed a transfusion they'd have to give me a liter of dc. I had the surgery May 8th and can't say any of my old vices have gotten worse and don't think I've picked up any new ones. The hubbling would be happy if I became a sex addict, but that certainly hasn't happened! :bounce:

Carol Do we get to decide which????

Ah, yes... TRANSFER ADDICTIONS!! I've heard this theory ad nauseum!! My DD's sister-in-law who had bypass 2 yrs ago was the first. She told me I HAD to give up wine completely because it would dump straight in to my blood stream in 17 seconds and I would become an alcoholic!! I was already addicted to my laptop BEFORE I had surgery! BTW, I have ONE 3-5 oz glass of wine almost every afternoon----- does that make me an alcoholic yet???? And, NO LADIES... I don't think we get to pick our addiction.. well, maybe if you really work at it. I myself prefer RETAIL THERAPY to alcohol anyway!!

:cocktail: :beer: :(

Hey, I had my 3rd fill today. Interesting! They sure have a hard time finding my port, even with fluoroscopy. Today the Nurse Practitioner started, with the Doc looking over her shoulder coaching her. I was confident in her because I know she used to do them BEFORE they started using fluoroscopy. But, once she finally got in, she was feeling resistance and having trouble withdrawing the Fluid that was in there. So, the doctor put on gloves and took over. He had no trouble-- repositioned the needle slightly and was able to withdraw 3.2cc. Now, THAT'S what I found interesting because last time he could only get back 2cc of the 3cc he'd put in. So he put the 2cc back in and 1cc more. So today he got back 3.2cc... you do the math. It doesn't computer! Oh, well. Guess I won't worry about it. He put in another 1cc, so that makes 4cc ... or 4.2cc??? You pick. So, now we go snowbirding for five months before I see him again! Wish me luck!

:bored Okay, You've heard enough from me for now!!

How big is your band? Mine holds 4cc's total.

How big is your band? Mine holds 4cc's total.

Mine holds 10cc. There's 4cc in it now. You're in OR, aren't you? I see you had your surgery in Coos Bay. We're in WA state. Stopping at Myrtle Point to see my sister this weekend.

Yeah, Myrtle Point is about 40 min from me.

I have had some interesting fills too. I went in for a fill and got completely unfilled. No clue how that happened. Then he put in way too much thinking I had a leak. It turns out I don't have a leak, and I have had to have some taken out twice.

I wish Dr. Tersigni used the fluro but from what he tells me, I wouldn't want to pay what Bay Area Hospital charges for it.

He was supposed to leave 2.75 in there this last time, but I can now eat anything I want and hardly have to chew. I am doing fine though because I have learned to make good food choices.

I am going to have to get another fill but I will wait and see if I keep losing this way. Fills are so strange.

Hmmmm think my man wouldn't mind the nympho addiction. That is as long as I stayed home.

Exsersize can become a transfer addiction. That would be a good one to have. People can become quit addicted to it and it's a healthy one to have.

Exercise is my new addiction!

I was too fat to walk aerobically before banding. Now I wake up before 6 a.m. with energy!

Saturday morning I surprised even myself by walking outdoors around a soccer track. The sun was out, and a young adult soccer game was starting. They kicked a few balls out on the track and I kicked them back! This 54 years young grandma enjoyed it. (It sure beats hanging on to the bars of a treadmill.)

weight.png

What is the 'newest' band on the market?

I was watching a banding in VA. and the dr. said the newest ones are easier to install because they are a more smooth or soft consistance and can be manipulated easier.....

I hope we get to request the band we get....I NEED an easy, uncomplicated banding....

I truly thought the addiction theory was false but I can see that we must do something in place of eating.....although I can't say i spend much time in the kitchen anymore. I think my back pain is helping me in that respect...I hate to stand in one place for any length of time...so I usually slap a sandwich together and that's it...a meal!!! I really can't imagine what addiction I could or would go into....probably a lack of imagination is standing in the way of pleasurable pursuits and money stands in the way of everything else....I'm lucky that way.

Carol:heh:

CAROL

i think i have the newest band on market. It's the Lap-Band AP with access port II. Mine is small and holds 10cc's the larger one holds 14cc's

TURTLEWIND From what I understand is that we get addictions because it causes our brains to release endorpins. Endorphins give us a strong sense of pleasure. A person can choose their addiction. All they have to do is discipline themselves to do it for 6 months. Exercise is the best one.

NM Sunshine,

I agree that exercise is a good addiction. Especially when it improves mood, agility, muscle tone, and self-esteem. Also, I like being outside, walking in the fresh air up here in the Pacific Northwest when we have a sunny day.

Looks like a good idea to invest 6 months of self discipline in exercise. You've helped me set a new goal. Thx!

Somewhere I read "for each pound of weight lost it adds two months of life".

Glad to see the conversation about fills. I had my first fill over a week ago, and for about 2 days, I could feel some restriction, and then back to eating without any restriction. I have a 14cc band and he put in 1 1/2 cc the first time.

Does anyone do anything like pouch loading? Drinking 8oz of Fluid before eating, then eating your meal and not drinking fluids for 1 hour afterwards. Do you notice if that has any help prior to getting to the "sweet spot?"

Sue Stenzel

Mine holds 10cc. There's 4cc in it now. You're in OR, aren't you? I see you had your surgery in Coos Bay. We're in WA state. Stopping at Myrtle Point to see my sister this weekend.

turtlewind

I read that after the six months, it becomes hard not to exercise. That you will feel a strong need to exercise.

Herghost

I am same. I had my fill 4cc in a 10ccband last week. At first I feel restricted, now I don't. That is how you are surpose to eat. Always remember (after the water) that it is Protein first and no liquids for 1 hr. afterwards.