Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate a cheeseburger and I like it!!!! 3 weeks out

Wow (tongue hanging out and drewling) I haven't had a hamburger for 2 years! I would LOVE to eat one, but know I'd never even get 2 bites in (waste of money) secondly, after 2 years of eating such small amounts, my mouth has shrunken so I couldn't even get my mouth around it! hahahaha. . .

I get a hamburger and just eat the meat and I don't eat the bun. That fills me up. I can't imagine eating the bun along with a hamburger even if it is just 1/2 of a bun. Also, I love Wendy's Chili but a small chili fills me to the brim. I never could eat the chili and 1/2 of a burger even if it was a small burger.

sometime i read some folks that cant get more than 2 bites in, even after a year out.. others can eat half the burger.. I can eat more than alot of ppl i know with the sleeve.. i try to stick to the 2-3oz at a time..

sometime i read some folks that cant get more than 2 bites in, even after a year out.. others can eat half the burger.. I can eat more than alot of ppl i know with the sleeve.. i try to stick to the 2-3oz at a time..

I'm over a year out and I can eat a quarter pounder w/cheese. I take off the top bun (bigger bun) and cut the rest in half and use the bottom bun. No lettuce, no Tomato or any kind of toppings and maybe a few fries. It takes me awhile to get it down (probably 45 Mins to an hour), but really we aren't supposed to eat like that - its considered cheating the sleeve. I'm in maintenance so it's not a big deal. I like them too, so I have one if I feel like it. I've probably only had a few... but still. I've eaten other burgers like this too.

Another thing, there's no way I could eat that at 3 weeks out. I was having a hard time with mushies still.

But if someone is still healing from surgery or in weight loss mode - this isn't a good choice at all. I wasn't always perfect though, just main thing to remember is that as long as you get back on track right away anyone can overcome it, nor will much of your efforts be sabotaged. :)

Wow. Can't say that I'm not a bit jealous! I tried McNuggets two weeks out and it didn't go so well. Needless to say I kicked the idea of fast foods out of my head. I would just say give your tummy some time to fully heal before making that sort of decision. In another month or two u should be all healed to continue with experimentation. Afterall you still live in the real world and u are bound to have to make those choices in the future.

WOW!!!!! I am going on my 4th week out and still having problems with alot of the pureed foods. I couldnt imagine eating a cheese burger whole or mushed, I think it would kill me! lol I still get nauseated alot to and not understanding why. Wondering if it just isnt part of the process til I get further down the road.

weight.png

My first experience with a cheeseburger after surgery did not end well. I still think I ate too quickly and too much of the bun-I still only had half. I ended up with the foamies and extremely uncomfortable for a few hours. I have just put on 3 lbs in the past few days but we had a terrible car accident Friday night and I had an IV for a while and yesterday was comfort food as I am in a lot of pain-prescribed 2 different pain pills and muscle relaxer. Plus I haven't been able to walk due to the chest pain and difficult breathing (seat belt and airbag along with the smell and smoke from the airbag deployment...bruised but not broken. It was only one day for you, so tomorrow is a new day and back on the right track. Same for me. Good Luck

It is easy to cheat, I pigged out over weekend but didn't gain any weight but did a lot of sight seeing walking. I don't subscribe to the "we can never have that again" mentality. Geez an occasional ice cream or chocolate chip cookie is not going to do us in. And if you do eat a small bag of popcorn at the movies as I did over the weekend it will not kill the weight loss, just do it a lot.

This surgery is giving us the chance to live a normal life. When I say normal I mean NORMAL. It doesn't mean we can never have a slice of pizza or a cheeseburger or an occassional piece of chocolate. My doctor actually told me to eat chocolate and to NOT deprive myself. Eventually, the cravings for those foods will go away and sometimes that kind of food even tastes bad to you and you won't want it. However if you are in a social situation or a birthday party you can indeed have something, everything is ok in moderation....

It is easy to cheat, I pigged out over weekend but didn't gain any weight but did a lot of sight seeing walking. I don't subscribe to the "we can never have that again" mentality. Geez an occasional ice cream or chocolate chip cookie is not going to do us in. And if you do eat a small bag of popcorn at the movies as I did over the weekend it will not kill the weight loss, just do it a lot.

THANK YOU!!! I personally did not subscribe to WLS to live my life in black or white. MODERATION is the key here. I did not get super obese by eating one chocolate chip cookie. I got that way by eating 4-5 AND THEN eating a gigantic dinner AND THEN eating MORE junk...

If I were to think of junk food as "BAD" and never to be eaten then I know for a fact that would keep leading me back to it and getting me into that binging mode. If I want a CCC, I have one. ONE being the key word here.

That said, I really worked hard to avoid high calorie, high sugar and high carb foods during my weight loss stage. I also followed my post op eating plan to the T because I knew that my risk for leaks and other complications could go up significantly. It comes to a point of realizing when it's ok to indulge a little bit and when it's not. If I'm falling off plan and knowing it could actually physically harm me, then I'd worry about how I would handle my foods when I'm ok to do so.

I agree with you Irene!! TOTALLY!!

If I want something, I have it now that I am 6 months out. I had some dark chocolate last night and it was WONDERFUL!! Pre-sleeve, I would have eaten the whole bag, but now i have a couple pieces and I am good. The sleeve is a great tool!

Kelly

:D

THANK YOU!!! I personally did not subscribe to WLS to live my life in black or white. MODERATION is the key here. I did not get super obese by eating one chocolate chip cookie. I got that way by eating 4-5 AND THEN eating a gigantic dinner AND THEN eating MORE junk...

If I were to think of junk food as "BAD" and never to be eaten then I know for a fact that would keep leading me back to it and getting me into that binging mode. If I want a CCC, I have one. ONE being the key word here.

That said, I really worked hard to avoid high calorie, high sugar and high carb foods during my weight loss stage. I also followed my post op eating plan to the T because I knew that my risk for leaks and other complications could go up significantly. It comes to a point of realizing when it's ok to indulge a little bit and when it's not. If I'm falling off plan and knowing it could actually physically harm me, then I'd worry about how I would handle my foods when I'm ok to do so.

Some of the replies really irk me. This person is HUMAN. Get over it. She even replied that she felt bad, so seriously, give her a break.

If you think this surgery will make you NEVER eat junk food again, think again! You have to work with your new Sleeve. You CAN cheat it. You CAN gain back. But you dont have to stop being human. Like a couple people said, everything in moderation. 1/2 cheeseburger is NOT the end of the world. Worst case, use that as a learning experience to make better choices.

Big deal.

if im in a rush i grab a double cheeseburger and eat the 2 beef patties. no bread. sometimes ill get a bean and cheese burtitto from taco bell.. i live a fast paced life. im about 2 months out, and can eat all of this no issue. worst thing ive done is have some candy and bits around holloween, but ive lost about 40 pounds in 2 months, i dont think it will kill me.

its all about moderation. if you eat a cupcake, stop at one! dont eat 3...

whats this stuff i hear you can never have popcorn again? that sounds pretty crazy...

Re: popcorn. I was never told I can't eat it, and I do on occasion. The only thing is that I feel zero restriction with it so I have to be careful.